First time carrying in public

Guest roshambo

Now that poses an interesting question, has anyone ever seen a church posted? (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't let this question start any religious debates LOL!)

No, but also I assume it just like any other property....you can be asked to leave and if you don't it would be trespassing.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kirkosaurus
The place that really gets me is carrying at church. I only remember one persons with large eyes looking straight at my Glock 27 under my shirt. I wonder what the pastor would say.

Our pastor carries and knows several of us do as well. :)

Guest WingMan380

The first time I carried was a little weird feeling as well, but now it is like the others have said, I feel odd if I don't have it.

I don't worry abt people knowing that I have it, there have been times that my wife didnt know I had mine with me. I carry IWB about 4:00 and if I'm only wearing a tee shirt it is usually tucked in behind the piece and no one has ever said a word. I do keep a spare golf shirt or button down shirt if I want to 100% conceal it.

Our church has done the group HCP training before and I think half of our church carries and I know of some that carry during services. I leave my piece in my vehicle during services.

Guest WingMan380
Curious why you leave the gun in the car at church?

Just personal preference. I go to a smaller church where everyone knows everyone and we have a security team that patrols the parking lot. I know that there are guys (and gals too) who have their gun with them in the church and I have no problem carrying anywhere else and get frustrated when I have to enter a place that it is not allowed and I have to leave it behind but I just can not get passed taking it into the worship service.

Guest nicemac
…but I just can not get passed taking it into the worship service.

So what happens when the bad guy comes into your church? It happens all the time. Are you going to *hope* someone protects your family? Do you think it is somehow unholy to carry a gun into church? It isn't.

Churches are a huge target. Generally, people know who will be there and at what time (think crazy guy wanting to get his ex, and knows she will be at church on Sunday). There is typically a lot of cash around at offering time, people with jewelry, etc…. People expect "church members" to be easy targets with little or no protection.

I am in a little church - less that a hundred in attendance every week. I counted eight people carrying yesterday that I could make out. I assume there were more. Not sure how many others slipped past my detection. We have had people come in on numerous occasions wanting money. Some appeared pretty desperate (and not for groceries, but for drugs). Desperate appearing enough that we moved them away from the group before trying to assess their "need." One guy had obviously been stabbed. He "needed money for gas to get to Florida." There is no way to know what someone in that condition might do to get his next fix.

All this to say, bad things happen in churches. You need to get past your hangup about carrying in church and treat it just like any other place you want to protect yourself (and your family).

Guest WingMan380

Thanks nicemac for your input, guess I never thought of it that way. I have talked to several of my friends and peers regarding their opinion on this topic and they, for the most part, agree with what you have said. I think I am going to rethink my opinion of packing at church.

I do have question regarding schools, I have read the laws regarding carrying on school properties but there seems to be an exemption to the law if you are just droping off your kids or picking them up in let's say the carpool lane or what ever. Am I correctly reading the law by interpretating it to say if my gun is in my truck when I am dropping them off at the door in the morning there is no violation?

Thanks nicemac for your input, guess I never thought of it that way. I have talked to several of my friends and peers regarding their opinion on this topic and they, for the most part, agree with what you have said. I think I am going to rethink my opinion of packing at church.

I do have question regarding schools, I have read the laws regarding carrying on school properties but there seems to be an exemption to the law if you are just droping off your kids or picking them up in let's say the carpool lane or what ever. Am I correctly reading the law by interpretating it to say if my gun is in my truck when I am dropping them off at the door in the morning there is no violation?

If you are dropping off and/or picking up your child and remain in you vehicle, the law is pretty clear that it is legal. If you exit the vehicle and leave the weapon in your car, it is a little more grey.

I'd say do what you're comfortable with. Sounds like your safety is pretty well covered at church.