New "toy"

Guest Len

Picked this up at Guns & Leather today.

hg1.jpg

You are looking at a North American Arms 22LR-HG. Its a 5-shot Single Action in 22LR and has the "holster grip." The side of the grip has a clip for belt carry or pocket carry (carries just like my pocket knife.) Weighs in at a whopping 4.5 ounces unloaded.

Ok, before I get lots of emails that say "are you crazy!," let me point out that this will NOT be my primary carry gun (I carry a Glock 19 or Kimber CDP II) and it was a purchase purely for fun and maybe as a BUG. I also think I got a good deal. Considering I RARELY walk out of a gun store without something new, I got away fairly cheap today!

It looks to be fairly well made and will try it out soon. Anyone have one of these little guys?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jamie

I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one that likes .22 cal pocket guns. :rofl:

I was looking for one of those in .22 mag, a year or so back, but couldn't find one at the local shop.

Ended up with a nice little Beretta Bobcat instead, that rides around with me constantly.

Oh, one other thing... the firearms officer at the Sheriff's Dept. I used to work for used a NAA mini revolver in .22 lr to defend himself and his wife during a robbery/assault. For a .22, it worked surprisingly well. ( One shot fired, no more bad guy. )

Seems that even a single-action .22 is much better than a knife, in some instances.

Hey I've had one of those for several years, carry it when discretion a must - not extremely accurate but this is kind of a last resort weapon & it’s much better than nothing at all. It did scare me once when I pulled it out of my pocket & the hammer was sitting on a live round instead of the safety notch where it was supposed to be.

Guest REDDOG79

I have one of those but without the Holster Grip. I have two belt buckles that it fits into. One is a quick release belt buckle and the other bet buckle is more of a show buckle (I don't think i could get it out of it if i had to without taking the buckle off and even then it's a PITA) I like mine I will probably carry it when discreet is a must but it is only a BUG. I will have to see if i can get the Holster grip for mine as with my large hands it is a challenge even shooting the thing

Guest bulletproof

My daughter's fiance has the 22 magnum version but without the 'holster grip'.

More accurate than I thought but tends to try to leap out of the hand when

fired so I can understand the 'holster grip'

I've had one of these for over 10 years.....I love it for deep concealment and backup. Mine is a 22 mag. without the folding grip. It's a little tough to hold onto when I shoot it......the grip wants to slip up out of my hand......but as long as I hold tight it's fine. These have a lifetime warranty and I think they're very well made little pocket guns. I usually have the first shot or two loaded with snakeshot, then hollow points. Definitely beats not having any gun at all!

Guest J.D.D

I first got one back in the 80,s and carryed it in my pocket in Ca, Nv, befour permits were issued. I would always put a few rounds thru it when i went thru the desert just tokeep in practice.

In over 20 years i only had to pull it out 1 time when i was at a ATM around 2 in the morning and a car load of people pulled up and started demanding that i loan them some money (You know what i mean) As little as it is they got out of there pretty fast.

Even a 22 no one wants to mess with you. No telling what would have happened if i did not have that little N/A 22. I have had it for over 20 years and it is still like new.

Guest Jamie
I am not at all convinced that gun is better than nothing in most self defense situations.

Hey it beats a knife,
If you say so.

It can beat a knife if you know how to handle it, and yourself.

But by the same token, a .44 mag or a 12 ga. shotgun can lose to a knife...

Just all depends on the exact situation, and the skill of the people using each weapon. Neither of them automatically assures a person will come out on top.

Still, I'd rather have that little pea shooter in my pocket than nothing at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I took my new NAA revolver to the range on Sat and let some (tiny) lead fly.

The grip hurts my pinky finger a little in recoil, but otherwise is comfortable enough for the intended purpose. Trigger is not bad -a little heavy for SA, but that's what you want in something like this.

Sight picture? What sight picture? What I thought was a proper sight alignment put me low. The front sight is but a tiny rise at the end of the barrel and the rear sight just a notch in the frame. Again, I was not surprised. I'm used to my tritium night sights on my Glock, so this was quite a change.

Speed loading? I don't think so. To load, you must remove the cylinder, and you have to use the cylinder pin to push out the empties.

Not very accurate, not very comfortable, not very fast or light of trigger. Bit fun to shoot. Lots of fun. And everyone on the line wanted to try. At short distances, maybe loaded with #12 shot, it might leave a mark. And looks like a pocket knife clipped in your pocket. That was fun.

Guest darkstar

That's not a bad little "extra" to have if you somehow lost your primary weapon. According to Cartridges Of The World the author states the .22lr has probably caused more deaths than any other round. Of course he goes on to say that people usually succumb hours or even days after they get hit....Still though I'd rather have that than nothing at all. There are documented cases where a .22 is a one shot stopper (a very small amount of cases but still....)

Guest Boomhower
But it's sooo cute. :) If you don't mind me asking, how much do those go for?

Specs........I handled one when J Floyd's was still in business here in Knoxville. It seemed pretty cool.

Guest Jamie

Speed loading? I don't think so. To load, you must remove the cylinder, and you have to use the cylinder pin to push out the empties.

Y'know, that's the one thing that really bugs me about those little guns... I mean, how much bigger would it really have to be in order to incorporate some sort of loading gate into the design? Or even to make it a break-top?

Still, it's a neat little gun and I'm gonna have to find one, one of these days.

J.

I got mine for $195.00 NIB at Guns & Leather. (Ask for Dennis, tell him I sent you, pay with cash for best deal.)

It was loads of fun and serves a purpose, but in the end, I just wanted it! :)

I bet it could be a break-top with little extra size, but would cost more $.

Btw, this was not the smallest gun in the display case. The tiny ones were very cool, oh-so-cute, but I could not even hold them.