Reloading M1Garand ammuntion

Guest JimnTenn

Guest JimnTenn

I have been shooting my M1 Garand, occassionaly, for several years. Since it is becoming more difficult to find surplus ammuntion, I have been considering reloading. I would like some input as to wear to start and with what reloading equipment.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest looking on the CMP forums for that as there is a ton of information over there.

Don't quote me on this because it's just what I've picked up along the way but 47-49 grains of IMR4895 powder with 150 gr bullets pretty much duplicates the M2 (Garand safe) load.

Get the Speer Reloading manual and read it for comprehension. Then, purchase RCBS Rockchucker Supreme kit, 30-06 small base dies, CCI-34 primers, Remington Brass, Sierra Matchking bullets, BL(C2) powder, never look back. You'll save money, you'll have a new hobby, your hand-eye coordination will improve, your wife will know where you are in the evenings, and your marksmanship will improve as you can afford to shoot more and your ammunition will be more custom built and precise than anything you can purchase.

I imagine someone will argue the consumables list. . . .:D

Consider all your guns (well, ammo types) before you pick a press and accessories. Will you reload everything, or what? For your rifle you probably fire 20-25 per session (just a guess, last time out with my mauser 10 rounds was all I fired) which can be done with very basic gear. If you shoot 100 rounds of some pistol each week, or a zombie rifle, you may want a setup that can do mass production. Gunboards is all about old military stuff and has a reloading section as well as leads on hard to find ammo.

Find some local reloaders that will show you and let you try their gear,.. there are plenty of M-1 Garand forums that will promote suitable loads,.. it was designed for IMR 4895 @ 2700 fps. with a 147-150 gr fmj

I found you only need "small base" dies if you have a match chamber,. I am not a big fan of overworking brass which if you have a mil spec chamber standard dies will do ..

I reload on a Dillon 450 but I also reload about a dozen or so calibers for several rifles and handguns..

my belt for the M-1 holds 80 rounds and usually comes home empty,..

I decap and prep separately before loading so I guess you could call it a 2 stage progressive setup decap/resize,decrimp( if needed) trim... then ( usually on a separate session) setup and load as normal without a sizing die in station #1

my bullet choice since it is a 1957 rearsenal barrel are either Privi or Winchester bulk 147-150s do not go over 180 gr. the M-1 doesnt like it and last time I sandbagged it it shot 3" or so @ 100 yds.

JeffL,.. thanks I was looking for that lost me bookmark,..rebookmarked now.. good info.

John