Scenario: Civil unrest following the collapse of the US economy

• Administrator

As much as I detest TEOTWAWKI scenarios, one does not have to possess much of an imagination to see how badly things could go in our society should the economy completely collapse. No earthquakes, meteors or zombies required. Just the thin veneer of civilization rapidly falling away and revealing the nasty stuff beneath as society turns upon itself.

Might be time to actually put together that Bug Out Bag if you haven't already got one. A least enough of whatever you might need to get from work back home to friends and family and hole up for a while.

And this from someone (myself) who gets a rash from tinfoil.

The next few days of stock market activity should be very interesting following last week's downgrade of the US's credit rating.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Global economic collapse? Possible. Read about the Dutch tulip mania in the 1600's.

No joke, I think ammo on hand is wise. Best case scenario you don't have to worry about stopping at WW on the way to the range. Worst case you can clear a few blocks around your location before you head out to wherever you're going. The last news I heard is that the our credit rating may be downgraded further.

As the Chinese say, may you live in interesting times.

Have to agree with Raoul on the best/worst case scenario. Same with food etc. If it happens, you are a lot better off. Same if there is a natural disaster. If nothing happens, then it's money well spent, same as every year that goes by that you "wasted" all that money on car, house and life insurance.

To be honest with you, I have no idea what I would do. I hear and read so much from pundits and so-called experts that I have no idea who to believe.

In regards to ammo and the ability to defend myself, I am okay in that area.

I know a lot of people don't really like for religion to be brought into the discussion, but being a person of faith, that is really the only way I know how to respond to such a scenario. If the world economic system collapses and you have a complete societal breakdown, based on my eschatological view, I know I wouldn't have to endure it very long. The only thing I could do is pray and try to help and protect others during this time of crisis.

As a single only child with no kids, it's a relatively simply scenario for me.

I keep 3 months of food and water and various other essentials. If I awake any given day to chaos, at least I won't be in the dangerous hordes at Kroger. If things get too hot here, have a place 25 miles away might could primitive it out for a while, if I can get there with my stuff.

It's all just a temporary buffer, should I even survive that three months, just to see if indeed things stabilize, get worse, whatever -- hopefully a buffer period to decide whether I even want to try to continue in an absolute worst scenario.

But gotta tell ya, if I were younger with a family, I'd have a year's worth of stuff minimum, and a better evac plan too, or better, would probably be living in a better all around defensible and sustainable location.

- OS

Guest skinner
Just the thin veneer of civilization rapidly falling away and revealing the nasty stuff beneath as society turns upon itself.

This is reason #17 that I started down the path of firearms to begin with. That and reading the book The Road this past spring.

Dadgummit, you have got me started. I am now shopping for a bag. Question. I was looking at one of the Maxpedition Vulture II bags. Is that a satisfactory bag, or does it need to be larger? Have any recommendations?

Guest bkelm18
Dadgummit, you have got me started. I am now shopping for a bag. Question. I was looking at one of the Maxpedition Vulture II bags. Is that a satisfactory bag, or does it need to be larger? Have any recommendations?

I have a Maxpedition Condor and it's sufficient to hold supplies for one person for 72 hrs.

This is reason #17 that I started down the path of firearms to begin with. That and reading the book The Road this past spring.

Well, nothing is gonna save you for too long in a scenario like that, it isn't really a survivalist story.

And by the way that little glimmer of "hope" of the beetle and the bird wasn't in the book.

- OS

• Administrator

I have several different backpacks that would be good for several days worth of essentials. What I most recently picked up is the 5.11 Bail Out Bag which is sufficient for use with a carbine (6-mags), a handgun and other "travel lightly" essentials.

opplanet-511-tactical-bail-out-bag-fde.jpg

I plan on using this very bag for another fighting carbine style class soon since odds are that is exactly the sort of gear I would be able to snatch and run with in a moment's notice. I find it kind of silly that people kit up for classes like they were going to walk the streets of Baghdad. The odds of me being able to routinely haul a plate carrier, soft armor, chest rig, thigh rig, etc. in my vehicle are slim to none; but I figure I can cram this and a carbine in either of our vehicles without too much fuss and still use them with normal civilian clothes if the S really HTF.

YMMV.

• Administrator
More downgrades have been issued. Stocks are falling.
Gold is climbing, DOW is dropping. Not a very good day so far.

I checked the Asian markets this morning when I got up. It was already looking pretty bad at 0500 CDT.

Gold is climbing, DOW is dropping. Not a very good day so far.

No the dollar is falling. Gold isn't worth more than it ever has been. ALWAYS be afraid when gold "climbs" because it's not climbing. The value of gold is fairly static, everything else revolves around it and our dollar isn't worth spit.

Guest 6.8 AR

You know what I meant, Caster. I understand the intrinsic value of gold. I meant

the price of gold is rising. gold is gold. We agree:D

You know what I meant, Caster. I understand the intrinsic value of gold. I meant

the price of gold is rising. gold is gold. We agree:D

Well, I guess I'm stupid, cause I didn't get it for a long while. Now that I do, I tend to point it out more often, like I've REALLY discovered something. :D

Guest 6.8 AR

Aww, I understand. I just got off the phone for a job interview and am a bit

testy and drained. We're cool. Never had an interview like that. I can barely type,

if I ever could:D