Over priced firearms

tercel89

I personally despise haggling. It is too much like shopping and as I always tell my wife, "I don't shop, I buy". I pick out what I want and research the best price on the innerweb, then I get it from there. Some people like or even love bargin hunting and negotiating, but I don't. So the idea that there is something wrong with expecting to be able to walk into a place and get something for a price that isn't hyper inflated to either make room for haggling or put your kids through med school because someone prefers not to negotiate doesn't sit well with me.

Personally I think that walking away and complaining on the internet about not agreeing with pricing or other business practices is doing something about it. Good or bad there is no advertising like word of mouth and negative word of mouth spreads even faster than positive. Sure those that sell at inflated prices may make an immediate profit but how much are they losing out on because people have heard that they don't mind gouging those who are not in the know?

I respect your opinion but I do not think they are losing out on too much because most people will not haggle and will pay the price they are asking.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haggle is a way of life in certain countrys.......dont take it personal

Everyone has their own way of shopping I perfer to not haggle but I will low ball and wait

for a response........u never know what folks have in their heads,some think they have gold and

some need new shoes that day.........Its just business.........but what I cant stand is a haggle

before you even saw the item in person like they do on craigslist

the biggest problem is the dollar its not worth much .anything being imported is gonna cost lots more in the future i dont buy guns wholesale but i do buy reloading supplies anything being imported is going up way up so if you want your glocks and sigs you better buy now.i go to gunshows all over the cheapest place to get glocks is sling point firearms in lexington ky no one else is even close

When I am buying I always haggle, worst they can say is no. I will haggle everything and pretty much anywhere I shop. I have even had managers come over to discuss discounts. You would be surpised who will give discounts if you ask, I am talking major retail stores. I recently got $70 off a $320 item just for finding it on the internet and asking the store to honor it.

Dolomite

I always research online, take the lowest price I find, figure in tax, background check, and keeping the lights on in the shop and have an idea on an "out the door" price before I ever hit the shop.

After that it just depends on what the shop wants to make in profit, but I usually find a place that will come within $10-$15 of my out the door price within a couple of stops.

I usually don't mind coming up on the price if the salesperson is friendly either.

A friendly salesperson will also get me back in the door for ammo, mags, and upgrades later as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not that i'm saying its right, but msrp is $690 on that gun... of course i normally see them around $500. I wouldn't step foot in a store like that either. For some reason my local glock le dealer sells them for $450 (even though they are supposed to cost $400 for LE) so i decided from now on I will go to the next nearest LE dealer (gun & leather) to do my shopping based on principle.

when i lived in Ct there were several gun stores in the area. several had high prices and crappy inventory. there was one called Hoffman's that had an awesome inventory,lots of sales,amazing prices.A lot better prices than here even. There staff wasn't known for being the friendliest but if you were patient you got waited on. Every time I ever went in there they were packed to the gills.Always.

The other guys were friendly,didn't have a lot of inventory but always offered to order what you wanted even though you could order it yourself for less.,

I'm not one who is big on the absolute cheapest price. I'll pay a reasonable price for location,and in stock. I'd rather buy local and pay a little more. Support local folks and their families. I know what guns should be priced at so I can LOOK anywhere. if you have low inventory,obnoxious prices,sound like a BSer,have goofy hours, I most likely will never be back.

I own and run a small business,people always ask for the lowest price. I respond that is what I gave you. MY lowest price. I will not haggle. I f you are willing to support illegals with no insurance who are milking our system dry to get your trees removed while risking the safety of your house and belongings and family,I wish you the best. I do not work for free and no company will stay in business by breaking even.

I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. I also NEVER buy new cars. If the price is fair,I buy,if not,I keep looking.

Guest Sgt. Joe
Don't talk to me about bad prices until you come see the prices here in Orlando

I'm shocked honestly. I've been to 2 stores already and both had horrible prices. New Ruger 10/22 selling for $369. New Glock 19's for $580. Ruger LCR for almost $500. Back in Knoxville you can find LCR's for $380 at the gun shows and I saw a 10/22 for $200 before I left town.

Yea that is one thing that I failed to mention to you about that area. You will eventually find the right shop though.

On my last trip down that way I took a total non-gun friend just to look at a 1911 because I had told him that I wanted to finally get one and he had no idea of what one was. We went to the oldest gun store in the county east of you and a RIA basic GI was marked at $649. There was no need for me to take up their time negotiating with them because I couldnt buy it anyway nor did I even want it. They also had one Sig 238, a basic model that did not even have night sights and I kid you not, it was marked at $799.00! The place is called the Bullseye and is one of the oldest indoor ranges in the state and it looks, feels and smells every minute of it.:P

More inportant for you to know is that right next door to the KSC visitors center is the Police Officers Hall of Fame, which is dedicated to fallen officers, the range part is closed on Mondays and of course that is the day that we picked to go but it is supposed to be one of the most state of the art indoor ranges in the country. The range area also includes a gun store which I was told did have good prices, they are only a phone call and an hour away from you now....Just some FYI for when you get over that way.

As for the subject at hand, I dont have to do much haggling at my store and I never have.

Everything in the place is marked below MSRP including any of the collectors or Limited stuff. On top of that I only deal with the manager once it is time to actually buy and he will say "Lets go see what the "Joe" price is":P....that ends up being either their cost or their cost + 5, 6 or 7% depending on what the item is. I dont get much of a break on accessories though.

Now WHY? they treat me like that I have no idea, it isnt like I spend tons of money in the place or buy a gun every week or even every month from them, more often than not I do lay-aways rather than cash but they have just always treated me like that. There have been several times in the past that a friend and I have bought the same model gun on the same day and he has always paid more, yet he was the one who spent all the money in the place, I simply gave him a ride. I sure dont understand why they do it but I am not going to complain about it either.:D

I have only been at this stuff for a few years and everything that I have bought has been from that store, private sales here on the board and one from Joe at Hero Gear or my gun store, so they do get most of my business, there just isnt much of it to speak of.

My favorite car guys here cringe when they see me coming because they know that I will wring every dime that I can from them and then they have seen me walk anyway over both a tank of gas once and a set of floor mats another time. I actually love the haggle, I just dont need to do it at my gun store.

Guest nicemac

I don't necessarily like to haggle. Actually I don't like it at all. But I like paying too much even less. So I haggle. And lowball. You can get discounts at a lot of places you never thought of, just for asking. Example: Lowes. You can get 10% off most of the time, just for talking to the (right) manager. (I don't do this on small purchases, but on anything over a few hundred dollars, I ask.)