My rifle.

Mike

UPDATED 2-1-12 - POST #12

IMG_0750.jpg

It's a Saiga SGL31-94, 5.45x39. I've done most of my training with it. It has been dropped, thrown, stepped on, used as a hammer, and run ragged; it still keeps on going. I've made some modifications, I have a surefire scout light, krebs extended safety lever, ultimak rail and an aimpoint micro. I removed the rear sling swivel and put a piece of paracord in it's place. I run a single point sling with this rifle and it has worked very well utilizing the simple piece of paracord. Thought I would share it with you guys.

Mike

Edited by Mike
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Twin63

Nice set up. I like your choice of accessories. They add function but you hardly notice they are there. Your rifle looks battle tested...I can't wait to get my Bulgarian AK74 in that condition!

Nice set up. I like your choice of accessories. They add function but you hardly notice they are there. Your rifle looks battle tested...I can't wait to get my Bulgarian AK74 in that condition!

Not quite battle tested, but close.

3d92ea8d.jpg

7aeb33e8.jpg

996fce58.jpg

Mike

If you want to get your Aimpoint R-1 duracoated, there's a guy on ARFCOM who does them for $30. I had him do one for me and it came out great, looks just like my T-1s. Of course, spraypaint works too, just not as durable.

Guest agt.dealer

those pics remind me of the good days!!always loved dismount drills,funny how you never really think of the calm factor till the s**t hits the fan,is that trench art on the forearm?be safe

Yes, it says "Goodbye" in Cyrillic. До свидания

those pics remind me of the good days!!always loved dismount drills,funny how you never really think of the calm factor till the s**t hits the fan,be safe

Headed for more in October, this one should be a killer ride.

Mike

Edited by Mike
  • 4 months later...

After another HRCC course (HRCC Medical Package AAR) and some low light classes, I've been looking at modifying my light setup.

I started out with a Streamlight TLR-1 mounted to the upper handguard, the TLR1 had poor ergonomics and really wasn't suited for use on a rifle. It came off. Then came a Surefire G2 in a Vltor offset scout mount attached to the Ultimak rail. It was better in the ergonomics depatment but it lit up the front sight tower and you could not see past it in the dark. Not ideal.

I dont have pictures of either of those setups, but I'm sure you can imagine what they look like.

Problem, front sight illuminated blinding the shooter. Solution? push the light past the front sight. So I tried that. I bought a Surefire G3 and put it in the Vltor mount. This setup worked. It was ergonomic and it didn't blind me when I activated the light. Unfortunately it was heavy and very bulky.

Exhibit A:

IMG_0735.jpg

Now to reduce weight and bulk I needed a different light and a different way to mount it. A friend of mine recommended I try a Surefire scout on an MFI barrel mount. It solved the bulk and weight problems, and gave me a brighter smaller light over the G3.

Exhibit B:

IMG_0752.jpg

Now this light setup was almost perfect. The only deficiency with it was the slight shadow of the barrel at 12 o'clock. This is a less than ideal place for there to be a shadow. At this time, there was no solution for the problem. Fast forward 6 months and Haley Strategic released their light mounts. I picked up a Thorntail mount and tried it out. It placed the light in a much better location to minimize shadows. One of the downsides to activate the light I needed to have the light further back on the rail for my thumb to reach. Now I was back to the original problem of the light hitting the front sight and blinding me. While discussing the problem one night with my friend Sherman, we tried a few different things to alleviate the issue. One of the things he suggested was an AFG mounted to the MFI barrel clamp. This is the result of that idea. It is by far the most comfortable grip I've had on an AK. It allowed me to not only push the light past the front sight, eliminating the shadow and blinding myself, but also enables a longer support arm grip on the front of the rifle. Something that, before this, was not possible.

Exhibit C:

IMG_1114.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

IMG_1116.jpg

IMG_1117.jpg

So there's the evolution of my light mount and the reasons as to the constant changing of equipment.

The rifle has about 9k rounds through it so far. Here's to the next 9!

Mike

Edited by Mike

That thing is ugly. It's filthy, there's mud in the handguard grooves and is that a bit of surface rust here and there? Mike, I like it. Almost makes me wish I had kept one or two of my AK's. Dang, I have a box of parts to a Yugo. I may have to build me another one.

Now this light setup was almost perfect. The only deficiency with it was the slight shadow of the barrel at 12 o'clock. This is a less than ideal place for there to be a shadow. At this time, there was no solution for the problem. Fast forward 6 months and Haley Strategic released their light mounts. I picked up a Thorntail mount and tried it out. It placed the light in a much better location to minimize shadows. One of the downsides to activate the light I needed to have the light further back on the rail for my thumb to reach. Now I was back to the original problem of the light hitting the front sight and blinding me. While discussing the problem one night with my friend Sherman, we tried a few different things to alleviate the issue. One of the things he suggested was an AFG mounted to the MFI barrel clamp. This is the result of that idea. It is by far the most comfortable grip I've had on an AK. It allowed me to not only push the light past the front sight, eliminating the shadow and blinding myself, but also enables a longer support arm grip on the front of the rifle. Something that, before this, was not possible.

Thanks as always for your detailed posts. I appreciate your practical approach to evolution and endure the same, just on a different platform. A lot of guys set up a gun based on what looks cool or what they think is practical, but never push the gun and find out what really work. I always find myself telling people not to get emotionally tied to gear or the way something is set up. You're clearly going through that process and will continue to.

The use of the MFI barrel clamp is a really interesting idea for mounting the AFG a lot further forward and flush than the AK lower HG typically allows. I'm not sold on the WML configuration, but you've definitely thought through most of the obvious configurations that come to mind.

With the Ultimak, the R-1, the light, the MFI, and the AFG all up front, how ugly is the balance?

High risk civilian contractor?

Link - HRCC Medical Package AAR

It's a series of classes offered by Tactical Response out of Camden, TN. Of the HRCC courses, I've been through small unit tactics and the medical package. Both have been eye opening experiences. Scheduled to go through direct action in March.

Thanks as always for your detailed posts. I appreciate your practical approach to evolution and endure the same, just on a different platform. A lot of guys set up a gun based on what looks cool or what they think is practical, but never push the gun and find out what really work. I always find myself telling people not to get emotionally tied to gear or the way something is set up. You're clearly going through that process and will continue to.

The use of the MFI barrel clamp is a really interesting idea for mounting the AFG a lot further forward and flush than the AK lower HG typically allows. I'm not sold on the WML configuration, but you've definitely thought through most of the obvious configurations that come to mind.

With the Ultimak, the R-1, the light, the MFI, and the AFG all up front, how ugly is the balance?

Thank you. The balance isn't as bad as you might think. The more forward grip available now mitigates the added weight and it still is very quick to point and transition targets.

As far as heat transferred to the AFG. It doesn't get any hotter than the stock lower handguard.

That thing is ugly. It's filthy, there's mud in the handguard grooves and is that a bit of surface rust here and there? Mike, I like it.

It's relatively clean right now. I put new grease in it!

Mike

Edited by Mike
Guest The Dude

gotta love the sgl series. i got a 31-62 and cant say enough good things for it. how do you like that side folder? almost got one of those but chose otherwise. i like your setup as well. not overdone. i like seeing rifles that are setup for use and not looks.