Yesterday was such a great day, I just want to share with everyone

Guest WyattEarp

Guest WyattEarp

Yesterday was back to school and back to the books for me at MTSU where I am studying Digital Media Communications, but opportunity has coming knocking on my door.

I woke up to find my financial aid in my bank account, then I got a phone call from the school newspaper saying I had the job again this semester as the photographer for the MTSU Sideline and I will be photographing all the MTSU Blue Raiders football games except the first one which is at Purdue.

I then got a call from the office of Veterans Affairs saying my Work Study contract has been approved, so I have a part time job this semester.

Then in one of my classes, our professor was doing the "say your name, major and what you aspire to do" game in class, and when I said I'd like to shoot photography for the NFL someday, he informed me he was a former NFL Photographer himself, and had some contacts that he would put some calls in to. He asked why I didn't try to get the MTSU Sideline to get press passes for me, and I said the Titans have put up their nose to all college newspapers and refuse to give passes to students working for the school newspaper. He said he would be glad to oblige in getting the Titans to fix that policy through his contacts. So I may very well get the opportunity to go photograph an NFL game or two in the near future, which would be spectacular and a lifetime dream come true.

That same professor who is also my advisor, sat down with me after class to discuss my degree progress, and had the amazing news that after this semester, I only have 8 more classes and a Broadcast Internship to do until I graduate (25 credit hours). I started college back in January of 2009, and I'm just completely amazed at how fast it's gone, and how far I've come. Seems just like yesterday I began this journey.

Don't think I could have a more perfect first day of school, and today that good positive feeling continues. So far all of my teachers are great and I love all of my classes. Very excited for this semester and what future opportunities will arise.

Next summer I will be doing a Broadcast Internship somewhere, but not sure where just yet. I really hope it would be something weather related like storm chasing with a news agency and shooting video and editing video for production. I think that would be a great experience, as it's something I am really interested in doing for a career.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest db99wj
Somehow, I kept waiting for you to say, "and then I woke up".

Looks like you're off to a strong start. Good luck to you this year.

This!

Congrats!

Guest bkelm18

Congrats. I'm still waiting on my work study app. My financial aid hit my school account a couple weeks ago, and now I'm just waiting for the leftover to be released to me.

Guest WyattEarp
Somehow, I kept waiting for you to say, "and then I woke up".

Looks like you're off to a strong start. Good luck to you this year.

hah! I pinched myself a few times just to make sure, but this is the best start to a semester I've ever had, and I am totally on a feel good high!

Man, that's awesome news. Don't stop until you're doing what YOU want to be doing.

yup, that's why I went back to school and so many opportunities have opened themselves up to me.

You were on such a good roll, did you go a buy a lottery ticket? If so, have you checked the winning numbers yet?

sadly no i didn't but I should have lol, I might go spend a $1 or $2 tonight just for kicks. but even if I won the Powerball, I'd still finish school and go get a job.

If you do something you love doing, you'll never work a day in your life. Don't slow down.

I feel like I'm on fire, and I am getting excited about actually have a career instead of just a job, and one that I will love to do every day.

Great to hear good news. I think you're being a liitle modest. YOU made it happen,not luck, chance, happenstance, karma, etc. I'll bet your attitude towards doing what had to be done to get your degree is a big part of your success.

yes I would agree, but sometimes it takes a few things going your way to help out too. :)

I thought there'd be a gun purchase somewhere in there.

oh but there is!

Just ordered my CZ 75 P-07 Duty .40 today. It's going to get a fiber optic front sight first, then it'll be on it's way. Don't have an ETA of when it will be here yet, waiting to get a confirmation from CZ.

:)

I know... well, am acquainted with, "the" photographer for the titans (not nfl but team photog) and I can tell you that you have about the same chance of shooting for a pro team or the nfl as you do becoming president in 2012.

These guys not only have current connections but also come with a resume with national contracts and a whole hoard of other accomplishments.

Kal (who's studio is in Chatt, btw) is the photog for JC Pennies and other national companies, for instance.

Once you have those, you can get in line behind the others that have been waiting years for a spot to open.

Congrats on everything else though :)

Guest Plainsman
I know... well, am acquainted with, "the" photographer for the titans (not nfl but team photog) and I can tell you that you have about the same chance of shooting for a pro team or the nfl as you do becoming president in 2012.

These guys not only have current connections but also come with a resume with national contracts and a whole hoard of other accomplishments.

Kal (who's studio is in Chatt, btw) is the photog for JC Pennies and other national companies, for instance.

Once you have those, you can get in line behind the others that have been waiting years for a spot to open.

Congrats on everything else though :D

That's weird, because I'm also acquainted with "the" Titans photographer, and his name isn't Kal and he isn't from Chattanooga. From the last I heard, it was Donn Jones.

Donn Jones Photography Sports, Portrait, Music, Commercial & Portrait

To the OP....the Debbie Downers that posted above only wished they got to write about a good day like you've spoke of here. Hope it keeps on rollin' for ya man! Always do your best. Its a small world and sometimes all it takes is for that big name to see some quality work! In the end you just might get your break!

Edited by Plainsman
That's weird, because I'm also acquainted with "the" Titans photographer, and his name isn't Kal and he isn't from Chattanooga. From the last I heard, it was Donn Jones.

Donn Jones Photography Sports, Portrait, Music, Commercial & Portrait

To the OP....the Debbie Downers that posted above only wished they got to write about a good day like you've spoke of here. Hope it keeps on rollin' for ya man! Always do your best. Its a small world and sometimes all it takes is for that big name to see some quality work! In the end you just might get your break!

You trying to call me out here? :D

Kal is actually from atl, only his studio is in Chatt (The Studio on E.brainerd).

I'm quite sure there is more then one team photographer. Thus the reason I put the word "the" in quotation marks above.

I know he shoots for the Titans, the NBA and JC Penney (

catalogs, ads, etc) and I'm thinking sears.

Google "Kalphoto" if ya don't believe me...

My point above was simply to not get hopes up. Thousands of photographers apply for these cool jobs... and it takes a bit more then just knowing someone that knows someone.

:rock:

Guest Plainsman
You trying to call me out here? :lol:

Kal is actually from atl, only his studio is in Chatt (The Studio on E.brainerd).

I'm quite sure there is more then one team photographer. Thus the reason I put the word "the" in quotation marks above.

I know he shoots for the Titans, the NBA and JC Penney (

catalogs, ads, etc) and I'm thinking sears.

Google "Kalphoto" if ya don't believe me...

My point above was simply to not get hopes up. Thousands of photographers apply for these cool jobs... and it takes a bit more then just knowing someone that knows someone.

:)

And my point is that the OP is 31 years old and likely has some life experiences and the common sense to recognize the fact that very few people get "the" photography job for an NFL team. Why would anyone need to say anything more than something positive to the OP in this thread? Not to mention, we've just identified that there are likely many more than just 32 photographers in the NFL business!

And my point is that the OP is 31 years old and likely has some life experiences and the common sense to recognize the fact that very few people get "the" photography job for an NFL team. Why would anyone need to say anything more than something positive to the OP in this thread? Not to mention, we've just identified that there are likely many more than just 32 photographers in the NFL business!

Not being negative. I even said congrats! Sheesh.

He came of as sounding hopeful that his teacher could change nfl hire procedures with a phone call.

I was simply pointing out that that it takes a lot of time, a lot of skill (not critiquing his stuff here...) some national level clients on the app AND the inside contacts.

Guest lostpass

crap, I know Mike Keith. I know what he did to get the job (He's a jerk but very self critical) so it isn't as impossible as everyone says.

If you want to be a NFL photog, guess you like football or something, make all the friends you can in the business and just keep trying. The least important thing is probably talent. I make some decent dough in the media just because a guy I knew didn't have time for the job and referred me. When people are in a hurry they just want someone, they don't care about quality.

Guest WyattEarp

Congrats on everything else though :)

well, I've always been the kind of guy that if I can't go through the proper channels to get something done, then I just find a way to go around, over, or under whatever obstacle happens to be standing in my way to make it happen. :D

I'm a stubborn little ****, very very stubborn, and resilient. It's been said I'm like a cockroach. I just won't go away. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bill'dYourOwnGun

Congrats! All those events are quite incredible. Photography is a great field to get into - a friend of mine works for Seal (the singer, not the sea creature or team 6 :)) and I am also friends with Mark Fagan, who is also a great photographer. I hope you get the kind of opportunities they have been presented with. Pictures will always tell a story and stir emotions whether in print or digitally. Keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing your work someday soon.

• 1 month later...