What am I not getting about Spyderco knives?

Guest lostpass

Guest lostpass

You don't want it but you're about to get it. That's right, my story about why I am stupid about knives.

For a long time I rolled with some version of a swiss army knife. Great stuff and useful but I generally only used the blade. Sure, the swiss army knife came with tire patch tool but it was always the blade that I used. A friend, who is into knives, gave me a Smith and Wesson knife you could flip open with your wrist.

I thought is was the coolest thing ever. I could hold something with one hand and get my knife out with the other. It was big time on the scale of ease of use. Then I pulled out the knife while camping with some cub scouts. The black tango blade disturbed some folks. I wanted something just as easy to use but not so tactical.

That is when I started to hit the knife forums here. I read what Major Kong had to say (he was right) and what OhShoot had to say and what everyone else said. This place is full of smart folks.

SO I started of with a Spyderco Endura. I could tell it was well made but it wasn't for me. I couldn't get the one hand thing to work and the blade shape was weird when closed (when open is was pretty damn fine).

I kept buying knives until I ended up with a ZT 350 but I keep seeing how great the various spydercos are. I've got to be missing something, what don't I get about the spyderco? I really want to love them, big blade and so forth but I just don't see it. What am I doing wrong?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Different strokes for different folks.

Certainly the Spyderco tendency is for non "traditional" blade shapes and angles.

I only own one Spydie, the Military, but do really like it, it's one of my four everyday carries currently (five if you count the credit card knife in my wallet ;))

Mine opens fine with a thumb flip, although I generally just start it open and use wrist flip, which is 'bout as fast and totally reliable as it depends on large muscle reflex rather than small one.

I will say that the Spydie will probably always seem a little "odd" to me visually, but feels great, cuts great, super light, max legal length, great compromise blade shape for both piercing and slicing, tremendous leverage from blade/handle angle, etc.

However, the Buck Vantage I carry looks more traditionally attractive to me, and also has it's own pluses, both aesthetic and functional.

Guess my point is, there's nothing wrong with you for not liking a specific brand or style of knife.

- OS

Guest Scramasax

Different strokes and all that. The spyderco Delica and endura were the bottom tier of the edc self defence kinves I reccommended for non-knife people. You could buy a live blade and a trainer for a resonable price. I have no problem opening one but don't care that much for a lockback. Also I think they are overpriced for thier construction.

After saying that I just bought two live blades and one trainer for my cousin Who leaves Firday for a two year job in Afganistan for the State department. It was on the short list of "non-tactical" knives Hillary would let him have.

Cheers,

ts

I love the flat grind of many of the Spyderco blades. I recently bought a Tenacious, a Resilience, and a Grasshopper (to have as a "gentleman's" knife). Every single one of them were razor sharp right out of the box. I also really like the simplicity of the G10 scales.

I carry the Delica everyday and have for years. I got one with the serrated blade and find it very useful. Does a fair job of cutting an apple too. I had worn the serrations down over the years and returned it to Spyderco just a few weeks back. It was returned in completely re-conditioned or maybe replaced for only $25.

Love the knife and their customer service. The Delica is heavy enough so you feel like you're holding something. I used the Rescue model with plastic handles while my Delica was returned and didn't like the light weight of it but it was a sturdy tool.

Guest lostpass
I love the flat grind of many of the Spyderco blades. I recently bought a Tenacious, a Resilience, and a Grasshopper (to have as a "gentleman's" knife). Every single one of them were razor sharp right out of the box. I also really like the simplicity of the G10 scales.

I really did like the grind on the spyderco. In fact I liked it a bunch but that big old hole, which I couldn't use for opening very well, bugged me visually and otherwise.

Thanks, I can see why others really like them. Just not for me I guess.