sig p250 and 357 sig

bayouvol

I would like to have some opinions on these two subjects. How good is the Sig p250? I don't know anyone who has one or has shot one. Second, is the 357 sig round on the rise or downfall? Haven't heard a lot of people talking about it either.

I have the chance to buy the pistol in this caliber and have an extra 40 cal barrel with it. Help me out before I buy one.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard mixed reviews on the P250. However in the same price range is the Sig P2022 which I've heard nothing but praise for. As far as .357 Sig... it has its niche. I wouldn't say it's on the rise, nor on the fall. It's expensive to shoot unless you reload, and just based on my own research, I really don't see much of a ballistic advantage over the more common calibers.

with the ability to shoot both calibers it will not be an issue even if 357 does someday go obsolete. The 357 and 40 calibers have a number of guns and barrel exchange setups and are in wide enough use that neither is in immediate danger even if they are pricy. Not sure about the 250, but I thought it was their lower end model, possibly less expensive to produce due to the simple action? Should be fine, they sell enough of them, but I have not shot this model.

.357 Sig is an awesome round on paper. It has more power than a standard 9mm with the stopping power of a .40. However, it's also more expensive than the 9mm and the .40 so you may want to take that into consideration. Personally, I wouldn't own a .357 sig unless I was really into reloading the round.

The Sig P250 though is a special gun. I've heard reviews going both ways and not sure which one is accurate or not. Personally, I shyed away and went for the P226. The Sig SP2022 (like the guy mentioned above) is in the same price range (less than $400 shipped from most vendors) and has a good DA/SA trigger vs the striker fire of the P250. The only good thing the P250 has going for it are the caliber X-Change kits that let's you change between calibers on the fly but the P22x series all have them as well. So you're really not mission much. I will say this much though. If you do get a P226, buy the .22LR with Beavertail model first and then buy the Caliber Conversion kit for the caliber you want. It's much cheaper this way and gives you the beavertail frame which you can't get otherwise unless you buy the tactical or elite models.

I have a 250 2Sum in 9. Frankly, I like mine for what it is. Let me explain that. I'm a Sig guy and prefer the traditional Sigs in DA/SA. The 250 as a DAO is not my preference but that having been said I've found mine to be a great shooter. It is accurate and reliable, mine has about 500 rounds through it trouble free. The trigger though long is smooth and has a clean break that once you're used to, is a great shooter. If you have experience in DA revolvers, you'll probably love the 250. I like the modular nature of the design that allows you to virtually change any aspect of the gun from grip to caliber with a single trigger unit as it gives you more versatility than any other pistol of which I am aware.

I don't think it will ever win my heart, I'll not quit carrying my P220, but I do, depending on my clothing carry the 250 in Subcompact form in a High Noon IWB holster that conceals extremely well.

Just my personal experience.

The P250 is just, well, "special". You will not know until you shoot it whether you will like it or not. I wouldn't have a problem owning a P250 in 357sig as that in a Compact version is what a friend of mine has that I have shot. People that describe the trigger as long and smooth are right on.

• 2 years later...
Guest RISC777
Son just picked one up yesterday, new. Shot it some and it's a solid firearm (what Sig isn't). The long trigger reminds me of the S&W Sigmas (but doesn't need any trigger travel smoothing). It may be me or him, but it seems to shoot a tad low. I chalk that up to getting used to the trigger travel length.