Textbook Example of How to Handle a Traffic Stop (Citizens Side)

Guest WyattEarp

Guest WyattEarp

So last night my roommates decided to have a few people, over, and after having been sick with a sinus infection and then bronchitis for most of September, I decided it was time to cut loose and have a little fun since I was healthy, and it had been awhile since I had been able to kick a few back and enjoy myself.

Knowing I would be drinking, I unloaded my handgun, slipped the cable lock through the magazine feed and up through the ejection port, and then locked it. I placed it and my ammunition in my gun safe and I locked it, grabbed a few beers from my fridge, locked my bedroom door and went out on the back porch to enjoy myself.

I only had 4 beers in my fridge, and they disappeared rather quickly, and since I was in a good mood, I decided I wanted more beer. I secured a sober designated driver who had not been drinking anything at all last night to drive me to the store just across the street.

As the light turned green, we crossed the street, then we saw blue and reds behind us, so we pulled into a parking lot, parked and the driver shut it off. Officer came up and said he pulled us over because my taillights weren't working. Asked for Id's, and asked a few questions. One officer that came up on my side (passenger side) asked if we had been drinking and I said yes sir I have, he asked the driver who said no. He then asked what was in the center console when he spied an open can, and I picked it up and showed him the can of Dr. Pepper. I told both officers it was my vehicle, and that I had asked him to run me to the store to make a beer run. I then let him know I was a handgun carry permit holder and that my gun was not in the car and that I was not carrying, and he said "Thank You very much for letting us know, we appreciate that", he kinda flashed his flashlight on the floorboard and in the rear seat, then both officers went back to their car.

The driver and I chatted for a few minutes while they ran our info, and I asked if he had turned the headlights on when he got in and said no he thought they were daytime running lamps (my fogs kick on automatically with the car) because his Camry has DTR's, and he wasn't used to driving my car. So when the officer came back we let him know about the lights, so he asked the driver to flip them on, went to the back checked to make sure they worked, and he said they did work, and he wasn't going to give us a ticket, just a warning, he thanked me for being responsible enough to get a designated driver, and he then thanked for me not carrying while I was drinking, and I let him know that I knew the rules, and if I was going to drink, my gun will be locked up and left at home. He smiled and said "Tennessee needs more permit holders like you", I laughed and told him I had had my permit since June, but I had just actually picked up my firearm today, and said he was very surprised at how informed I was on the rules, and I told him I had done a lot of research while waiting to get my permit and weapon, so that I would be prepared. He thanked the driver for being a designated driver and told us to have a good night and be safe. They were both cool cops, did not hassle us at all, they never asked about guns or drugs, but the one officer did ask about beer because he smelled the beer that I had been drinking.

Cooperation, up front and honesty. Textbook way to handle a stop. No hassle, just a friendly warning to remember to turn the lights on, and a big thanks for being responsible and cooperative. Made their job easy, and made them feel safe too, and it only delayed us about 7 minutes. Too easy.

With the little debate that was going on in the "Got pulled over while carrying" thread, I just thought I'd share this as an example of why it's a good idea to just make it easy on them right from the start and avoid all the other "question evading, and drawing attention to yourself and making it worse" type of nonsense.

The only penalty for my actions? The pounding in my head from the hangover when my alarm clock went off at 6:30 am...just 3 hours after I went to bed...lol, but I still made class and got my lab assignment done. :D

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowing I would be drinking, I unloaded my handgun, slipped the cable lock through the magazine feed and up through the ejection port, and then locked it. I placed it and my ammunition in my gun safe and I locked it, grabbed a few beers from my fridge, locked my bedroom door and went out on the back porch to enjoy myself.

Dayum. I NEVER disarm myself at home, even if I'm shooting tequila. I may hide my guns from guests, but it depends on the guest. Never use one of those stupid gun locks either. I grew up before guns were so evil that they needed their own lock. :D

With that said, my name ain't Wyatt Earp either. :D

Guest WyattEarp
Dayum. I NEVER disarm myself at home, even if I'm shooting tequila. I may hide my guns from guests, but it depends on the guest. Never use one of those stupid gun locks either. I grew up before guns were so evil that they needed their own lock. :D

if I had my own place by myself, I wouldn't have, but when I have people in the apt that I don't know, but who are friends with my roommates, then it just doesn't need to be out at all. I don't need my gun coming up stolen and then used by someone in the commission of a crime, so I just took care of that right there, with triple security. just exercising good judgement is all. I don't have to worry about it if I accidentally leave my door unlocked while I'm an alcohol induced stupor, that someone might just mosey in to my room and make off with it.

but just the addition of alcohol to the equation was enough for me to go ahead and lock it up with the gun lock, then in the safe. not worth it. too much that can go wrong.

the recent Dickson parking lot shooting, and the hotel shooting are reminders enough of things that can go wrong.

if I had my own place by myself, I wouldn't have, but when I have people in the apt that I don't know, but who are friends with my roommates, then it just doesn't need to be out at all. I don't need my gun coming up stolen and then used by someone in the commission of a crime, so I just took care of that right there, with triple security. just exercising good judgement is all. I don't have to worry about it if I accidentally leave my door unlocked while I'm an alcohol induced stupor, that someone might just mosey in to my room and make off with it.

but just the addition of alcohol to the equation was enough for me to go ahead and lock it up with the gun lock, then in the safe. not worth it. too much that can go wrong.

the recent Dickson parking lot shooting, and the hotel shooting are reminders enough of things that can go wrong.

I understand the roomate thing. Even with that situation, I'm not so sure I would disable the gun to the point that it prevented ME from using it. Even when all my guns are in the safe, an assortment of them are loaded. My girlfreind has her own combination to the safe as well.

Lock them away from your guests... not from yourself.

Too bad this couldn't run on the local news, but since no one got hurt and there was no blood involved, they probably wouldn't be interested. The sheep need to see that the vast majority of us really do take the responsibility very seriously.

A great big pat on the back, Wyatt!

... I secured a sober designated driver who had not been drinking anything at all last night to drive me to the store just across the street.

Dayum. I NEVER disarm myself at home, even if I'm shooting tequila. ..

I wouldn't think of cranking up the car to go across the street, even at my advanced age. :D

- OS

Guest WyattEarp
I wouldn't think of cranking up the car to go across the street, even at my advanced age. :D

- OS

it's a major intersection, and ive seen cops arrest people for public intoxication, that live in this apt complex. I had my thinking cap on last night. :D

I'd like to thank you for getting a designated driver too. I once lost a family member to a drunk driver on my way home from Academy Sports where I saw a guy shoot himself in the leg shortly before I took 6 to the chest myself only to come home and find that my parents house and every house in our neighborhood had been robbed. Luckily I stopped the robbers with my M4, but man was I sore the next morning. :D

Too bad this couldn't run on the local news, but since no one got hurt and there was no blood involved, they probably wouldn't be interested. The sheep need to see that the vast majority of us really do take the responsibility very seriously.

A great big pat on the back, Wyatt!

Agree completely. I know I gave you crap for locking up your gun "California style", but the rest was very well played.

I'd like to thank you for getting a designated driver too. I once lost a family member to a drunk driver on my way home from Academy Sports where I saw a guy shoot himself in the leg shortly before I took 6 to the chest myself only to come home and find that my parents house and every house in our neighborhood had been robbed. Luckily I stopped the robbers with my M4, but man was I sore the next morning. ;)

I'd believe any one of these . . . five or six stories, but you used up all your credibility points by blendin' 'em all together.

:D

Wise decision. Your roommates may be trustworthy, but why risk theft of opportunity with people you do not know?

Guest biohazardmatthew
Dayum. I NEVER disarm myself at home, even if I'm shooting tequila. I may hide my guns from guests, but it depends on the guest. Never use one of those stupid gun locks either. I grew up before guns were so evil that they needed their own lock. :P

+1

Guest WyattEarp
If you are not driving, what's it's the cops business if you are drinking?

he smelled beer when he approached the car and asked. he's paid to be suspicious, and he was making sure the driver wasn't drunk.