Crimson Trace laser opinions?

I've got a Colt New Agent (the gun that just has the trench, no sights) and I'm not too confident with the whole sightless deal. Love the gun, just not confident with it as my carry gun.

Aside from spending more time at the range, I'm thinking of either getting a Crimson Trace laser grip for it or the XS Big Dot sights. A major issue I have with the Big Dot (or any irons for that matter) is that since my gun does not have sights on it from the factory, I'd have to send the gun off somewhere and have somebody cut into the slide to install the sights. Cost + amount of time to order the sight, send it off to somebody and wait for it to return + I'm scared somebody gonna jack my gun up since its not just a simple filing, it involves cutting, deters me greatly.

So my next alternative was to just buy some laser grips. Overall cost is much lower. Seems to me that for self defense, it might be even quicker than using irons, as I'll be looking down the gun anyways and having a laser pointing at somebody will just confirm that I'm indeed aiming at the BG and not at some bystander. And I need new grips anyways, so two birds with one stone because I hate the factory grips.

Anyone that has experience with the lasers care to chime in?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nicemac

I have four or five guns with Crimson Trace grips, for several reasons. On my J-Frame revolver, the grip has a nice rubber over-mold that makes the gun more comfortable to shoot by adding about 1/2" of padding on the backstrap. Much more cushion than the stock grips.

On my pistols, the laser makes a great dry-firing practice aid. You can literally see what your trigger pull is doing to your shot and you squeeze. Dry firing with the laser pointed at a dot on the wall can reveal just how much caffeine you have had.

Also, I think about a SHTF situation where I was injured or somehow unable to properly use the sights on my weapon. Using the laser on the CT grips could allow me to shoot off-hand, from behind cover, etc… while still having some degree of aim.

I have a couple of handguns with CT grips installed, and they have performed flawlessly. I will never solely trust them for self defense, but have never had an issue. Personally, I prefer the front activation models.

Get the Crimson Trace. The XS sights are junk.

I believe this is a little strongly worded. I prefer a more traditional setup, but have tried the XS Big Dots. They are very well made and do function as promised. After you get used to them, they are also pretty accurate. A little too unconventional for my taste, but I can't say anything bad.

I completely agree with nicemac & quietguy about the CT grips. I've had 3 handguns with CT grips (still have 2 of them). They are awesome training aids and I've never been disappointed in them at the range.

Also, the Big Dots are different, but they are outstanding at what they're made for. I ran them on my Glock 34 for a long time in IDPA. Despite being picked on by some old-schoolers, I was impressed with their performance. I think they are even better than fiber optic sights at fast target transitions. Their weakness is that they aren't pinpoint accurate, because the front dot covers the POI. I also liked how easy they are to line up the post with that big ol' dot.

The big dots aren't junk, not by a far stretch. They're not target sights, but they were never intended to be.

Exactly what I keep telling folks!

I had to listen to the guys call them "training wheel" sights and make fun, but I can clean a plate rack pretty damn quick with them. In the end, that's all that matters to me...they work. They are combat sights, not plinking sights.

BigK,

Have you tried out the XS on any of your CZs? I have a 75B with Tru Dots which work well, but if there is something better...

No, I can't say I have. The only gun I tried them on was the Glock. I've since kinda gotten hooked on the Heinie rear sights. I really like the sight picture they give.

They have a model called Straight Eight that I am going to try next. I hear it's supposed to save time lining up shots, since you don't have to fuss with checking for even light bars on the sides, just line up one dot over the other.