Mauser k98 bnz43 number matching what's it worth LOTS OF PICS!!!

ok we found this in my grandpaw's gun safe. all i know is its a 8mm mauser with bnz 1 43 on barrell.. all bolt numbers match 4620 and number on bottom next to trigger gaurd is 2020. dont know anthing about em and gauging what its worth so we can descide if we want to sell it or not b/c it not practical to us.

ma1.jpg

ma2.jpg

ma15.jpg

ma12.jpg

ma23.jpg

ma22.jpg

ma21.jpg

ma20.jpg

ma19.jpg

ma18.jpg

ma17.jpg

ma14.jpg

ma13.jpg

ma11.jpg

ma9.jpg

ma8.jpg

ma7.jpg

ma6.jpg

ma24.jpg

ma25.jpg

ma26.jpg

ma27.jpg

ma28.jpg

ma5.jpg

ma4.jpg

ma3.jpg

ma16.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At a glance about $300, as it has been cut to ribbons but it looks to have been a pretty good job rather than a kitchen table hacksaw job. It would make an excellent shooter but has no collector value anymore. For reference, it used to look like this and weigh about twice as much: Karabiner 98k - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edited by Jonnin
Would it not be possible for him to buy a replacement stock or is that a no go? I have no experience in such things.

If you mean to restore, no. Would need stock, handguard, front & rear sights (but the barred has been tapped for new ones), bayonet lug, front bands, etc....BUT....

This rifle may actually be a Factory sporter, i.e. actually made by Mauser after the war or some such thing. That's a WAG and more research is needed but is not your typical bubba hack job.

Edited by Garufa
Would it not be possible for him to buy a replacement stock or is that a no go? I have no experience in such things.
You can always restore one with mismatched spare parts. But that would take time to do, tons of work, and the result may not even be worth as much as it is now, since it is very nicely done. It might actually be cheaper overall to buy a mismatched mauser if you wanted one, than to try to buy and ship each part one by one + work needed. It may be an "old" (1960s or earlier?) factory conversion, another reason to leave it alone -- I have no idea who did this but the mauser printed on the buttpad is a clue that it was done in bulk by someone. If you want a lot better info than I have try the experts at gunboards, they may recognize the work.

That's a pretty good looking sporter. There are people out there who are interested in old Mauser and 03 Springfield Sporters. Looks to me like it was done by a quite competent gunsmith. The stock, sights, etc., appear to me like something done in the 40's or 50's. I'd suggest advertising it in the classifieds here, and perhaps on a mauser forum, as well as places like 24hourcampfire.com. This is assuming you don't mind shipping it.

Yu could also have the bolt forged, a new safety installed, and dill and tap it for scope mounts. It would make a great deer rifle that none of your buddies would have one like.

you need to take it out of the stock and look at the barrel for german proof marks.from what i can tell that is not a 1 under the bnz but what is left of a single rune for the ss. if so it is a ss concentration camp gun.their should not be any german proofs on the barrel ,like on the bolt.it should have a dq barrel code