Do you carry a pack? What is in it?

Pretty much since I've been deer hunting I've carried a backpack with me with several odds and ends in it that I tend or may need in the field, do others do this and what is in your pack? Off the top of my head I carry...

-A box of bullets. I used to load my gun and go until one day in Unit L, I had 3 shells loaded, took down three does and one jumped up and ran, I vowed then to never run out of bullets.

-Knife

-Neoprene decoy gloves and a plastic shopping bag to put them in if they get bloody. (use them to gut and keep hands and arms completely clean)

-A large pack of white cleaning patches, not for cleaning my rifle but these make excellent markers should you have to track a deer. Put them down to mark the blood, they are easily seen, cheap, and should you accidentally leave them in the field it really won't hurt anything.

-Length of rope about 20 feet for dragging or whatever else.

-30 feet of 550 cord for hoisting weapon into stand, or 1000 other uses.

-Hand warmers in case I start getting cold.

-Extra gloves if needed.

-Extra socks if I'm going to be hunting a long way from truck or house.

-A few power bars.

-Binoculars

-Cigarette lighter.

-Backpack is Camelback compatible so I have water, but bottled water if you don't have this option.

-Book or magazines.

-When I used a tree stand (rarely do anymore) I kept my harness in there to make sure that I had it at all times.

-Any calls, scents, or cover scents that you may use.

I think each person would choose different things for their pack. Currently I am only hunting a couple of private farms and I am no further than 10 minutes from home or my vehicle so most of the stuff I carry is geared towards hunting needs and comfort, if you hunt more remote locations you may want to add basic survival and first aid gear so if you had to spend a night in the sticks you could do so somewhat comfortably.

So what's in your pack? Always looking for things to make the hunt better!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one of the best items I've come across. about 10 yrs ago I got a "tree umbrella" that screws into the tree and wraps around partway. I love that thing. It also can be used as a ground blind type cover. i carry it to my tree stands in case it rains and I also take it turkey hunting If I set up on a turkey and it starts to rain NO problem.... plus the other regular stuff the OP mentioned and a good folding saw and pruners.

Guest adamoxtwo

Beef Jerkey (if early in the season Deer Jerky if I'm lucky)

Water

Knife

550 Cord

Buck Bomb (sometimes depends on the wind)

Hand warmers

Primos Long Can or grunt call (dependent)

Guest capt usa

I usually hunt two ways:

1) When I hunt the farm I live on, I carry: gun, shells, grunt call, watch (or cell phone to track time) and binoculars. I don't need any more because I'm only 10 minutes walking or 3 minutes with the 4-wheeler from the house.

2) When I go to a WMA or something similar: same as home along with; treestand (and I'm going to stay in it all day), food, water, knife, flashlight, rope, tissue, cover or rut scent, folding saw, compass or GPS, lighter and some other miscellaneous items.

I don't carry a book or play games (not that anything is wrong with doing that), but I've had deer come by that would have slipped past had I not been watching. Being in the outdoors I can find interesting things to watch and keep occupied.

I carry a backpack. What's in it depends on time of year, where I am hunting, what I am hunting, what I am hunting with, ect.

There is always a first aid kit, whistle, compass (non-electric), extra flashlight and extra batteries, flagging tape, matches, a big knife and some 550 cord.

I carry a backpack. What's in it depends on time of year, where I am hunting, what I am hunting, what I am hunting with, ect.

There is always a first aid kit, whistle, compass (non-electric), extra flashlight and extra batteries, flagging tape, matches, a big knife and some 550 cord.

Add a knife sharpener, lighter and a bottle of water and you pretty much described the essentials of my pack. :)

Depends where I'm hunting & which weapon I'm taking along.

My 'ready to go' pack is a leather possibles bag I made containing at least;

1 bottle of water

bow hanger

cellphone

flashlight

Lifesavers (Wintermint)

20' camo paracord

puffer bottle (wind detector)

If I'm going to be out all day, I'll add an extra bottle of water & a couple of granola bars.

My smokepole hunting involves throwing in a pre-loaded ball block (6 patched balls) my powder measure & a capper with 24 #11 caps. 10 cleaning patches, a ball-puller & nipple pick.

If I'm taking the rifle, I'll throw in 6 rounds of whichever ammunition fits

If I'm bowhunting, I throw in a broadhead sharpener (file), spare string, flagging tape & a cork & lighter (face camo)

Usually though, if I'm just going out for 2 or 3 hours, I cram a bottle of water in my pocket & I'm good to go.

Depends on time of year and season.

Always carry these

fire starter

first aid kit

leatherman wave multi-tool

flashlight/ batteries

binos

range finder

gloves/facemask

550 cord

compass

gps

water/snacks that are not smelly and already in zip loc bags, no noisy wrappers!

scent killer

tree saw