CZ 52 vs. Hi Power

The Rabbi

I have been using a CZ52 for a car gun for some time, for all the reasons people have car guns. Some time ago when I shot it the hammer did not lock back when it cycled. I think its the sear spring and thought I had fixed it on Sun. I hadnt.

Anyway, I recently also came into posesssion of an Argentine Browning HiPower. Someone had done some work to it: it has an Ashley Big Dot front sight and the mag disconnect has been removed. I had never shot a HiPower before so took it out. Aside from a trigger reset issue the gun was a blast to shoot. Even with +P ammo recoil was minimal. It really is testament to the genius of Mr Browning, a lot nicer gun than his earlier failed 1910 or whatever he called the model.

So I wonder: do I replace the CZ with the HiPower or not? The HP packs more rounds. Setting one off in the car will be unpleasant,but not worse than the CZ, which puts out quite a fireball. I got the CZ in part because the 7.62 round will go through most things automotive, but the +P 9mm will probably do OK against sheet metal as well.

Thoughts?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put a stronger spring on the trigger, doesn't effect pull much but helps with a more positive reset. I have 2 hi powers I personally removed the mag safety from both as the trigger feels like 100 grit with them installed.

I have allways heard that you should never remove a safety device from a gun as it can get tricky in court if you have to use it, but the trigger is lousy with it in a high power.

Can't comment on the CZ never owned one.

Guest DrBoomBoom

The Box O' Truth did a test using 9mm handgun ammo on a Buick. It went through the door no problem, and it went through the both panes of side window glass and left the car.

Guest jaypee

No contest. A .30 FMJ isnt the equal of a .355 JHP as a fight stopper. The .30 stays a .30 while the .355 opens up to .60+, and that's quite a difference. Also, if you need penetration, a good 9mm FMJ is no slouch in that department either.

One thing though. If you are going to shoot a lot of +P ammo in the Argie, consider getting a Wolff 18.5 lb recoil spring and extra power firing pin rebound spring and install them. Some even do this plus a buffer to hold down on accelerated wear, which will usually start with rounded locking lugs on the barrel or slide. Also, if it has the older "humped" feed ramp it will most likely be balky about feeding certain FMJ loads, especially those with a fairly straight ogive. I have three FEG-made BHP clones with the humped ramp and all three have this problem with 124 gr Gold Dot +P and the Winchester Ranger LE +P. So be sure to test your carry ammo in it as it could surprise you.

The Walmart Remington Greenbox 115 gr JHP (coded L9mm1B) has a good reputation for feeding in these guns although it isn't the latest in bullet technology. You can see excellent reports on all of this at Steve Camp's website

http://hipowersandhandguns.com/HiPowerComments.html

There is a good test report on the Remington load at this address, but you may have to be a member to get into it, I'm not sure. It's worth a try anyway. Here goes:

http://handgunsandammo.proboards36.com/index.cgi?board=terminal&action=display&thread=1186719405

Just about anything that applies to the BHP will apply to the Argie too and these are first rate reports. Hope this helps.

JayPee

PS - I had an FM 95 and let a scurrilous wag of a relative get it away from me. :up:

Guest nitrous_mike

I am the odd ball, I say keep the CZ but if you do decide to part with it let me know I need one for parts if nothing else !

I'm actually very surprised that your car gun isn't chambered in .357magnum... it would seem to me that would trump either cartridge choice.

.357mag is a lousy car gun choice. The noise and blast would deafen anyone in the car. The others arent mild either, but .357 is too much.

Guest HexHead

Stick with the Hi Power, aka "the 1911 perfected". I've owned two Hi Powers and they are great pistols. Yeah, the trigger's not as smooth as a 1911, but it wasn't designed to be a target pistol.

Funny thing about that mag disconnect, it was put there at the insistence of the French, who never ended up ordering the pistol.

Guest DrBoomBoom

Rabbi,

I just read a post at Steven Camp's Hi Power forum that addressed the hump in the feed ramp. Apparently, Mr. Camp recommends trying the newer MecGar mags for it. The older mags of all types feed the bullet almost horizontally, making the flat points of the HPs catch on the hump. The newer MecGars feed at more of an angle. The poster said that alone eliminated his feed ramp hump problem.

Rabbi- Let me know if you decide to keep the HiPower. I have been digging through boxes and came across some original grips, a spare barrel, some springs etc..I don't have any use for them now and don't feel like putting them on fleabay.

If a .357 will deafen anyone in a car, the CZ52 if fired, will deafen anyone in a car, burn the door material off, and break out the windshield with the ejected shell. Another danger is the glass breaking if the expired shell goes through the window. CZ52 is a great gun, just not a car/truck gun.

If a .357 will deafen anyone in a car, the CZ52 if fired, will deafen anyone in a car, burn the door material off, and break out the windshield with the ejected shell. Another danger is the glass breaking if the expired shell goes through the window. CZ52 is a great gun, just not a car/truck gun.

Oh dont you think your exaggerating just a bit there? Course I use S & B ammo...not the surplus stuff.