The next gun...

dbla

Okay guys,

I few months back I purchased a Ruger P95 for home protection. What I didn't know is that I had started down the long and twisting path of gun purchase addiction. Since then I have gotten my HCP, purchased an LCP, and Mosin Nagant. I've taken a little break but now ive got some money coming in again and I've got the okay from the wife to start savings towards the "next gun" What I'm looking at is either a G26 or an XDsc. I want to carry it, on and off instead of the lcp. Any thoughts on the matter? I like the Glock because of the reputation and broad scope of the brand but I don't want to overlook any other possible options. I do like that the XD is cheaper, is there anything else I should look at??

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another vote for the m&p line, might want to take a look at the sr9c if you like your ruger.

One of my carry weapons is an m&p9c and I have been very pleased. For a small gun, it shoots fantastic. Although I strongly recommend getting some apex parts for your trigger if you go the m&p route.

Smith and Wesson M&P9c and Ruger SR9C.

I really like my Glock 26, but you seem to like Rugers and although I don't own one, I really like the M&P line.

I actually have no brand loyalty. I'll check out the M&P. I'm mostly trying to stay in the same calibers. 9mm primarily. My Rugers thus far have just been the "right guns" at the right time. I'm just looking for quality in the 4-500$ range. Anyone know a range with a wide rental selection near Nashville??

You really have gone down that twisting path. Don't feel too bad. Firearms retain a lot of value. You can spend $550 on an XD or Glock, use it for a year and sell it for $450. So you really only spent $100 for the gun. You will shoot several hundred in ammo. That's what gets you.

My first handgun was a Ruger P95 and I loved it, right up to the day I traded it for a Glock 26. I love my Glock. I don't have experience with the XD, M&P or any of many of the others but I do agree with the previous posters, you need to handle them all and preferably shoot them all. Viva la difference! Mechanically all the name brands should be dependable, what you want is something that fits your hand and your "style" so to speak.

I went to Guns and Leather to shoot with my P95 and while I was there, I rented a couple of different guns, one of them was the G26. I loved it so much that I traded my Ruger on the spot. I've never regretted it and I've never looked back. Enjoy your search.

Guest justluck

All handguns mentioned will do you well; but, try the SR9c (or try the SR40c, you might like a .40).

SR9c is a great shooter (trigger is good), easy/nice to carry and Bud's has'm for $398 and free shipping. Try'm all if you can; but, certainly try the SR9c.

All handguns mentioned will do you well; but, try the SR9c (or try the SR40c, you might like a .40).

SR9c is a great shooter (trigger is good), easy/nice to carry and Bud's has'm for $398 and free shipping. Try'm all if you can; but, certainly try the SR9c.

Will do, the only reason im thinking of sticking to 9, is because I reload and adding another caliber just means I need to keep another plate spinning. I load for my Dad too, and he's gotta 9. Might as well keep it all together. 40 is tempting for carry though.

I have owned a P95 and sold it before moving to a G26 many years ago. I love the G26. It is one of my favorite guns. I don't get to carry it often because my wife loves it just as much as I do!

If you are not familiar with the poly rifiling issue related to reloading for Glocks, you may want to read up on that before making your choice. Personally, I have traditionally loaded jacketed bullets for my glock. I am now getting into casting, so I will likely buy an aftermarket barrel for the glock because of the poly rifiling and potential KB issue. There is a lot of debate on this issue, but that is the path I will likely take.

I agree with try it out before you make a decision. If you can't find a rental of what you are looking for, try to find a friend that will let you shoot his. I carry an xd40 service model and if you are concidering moving from 9mm to .40 s&w you really need to shoot several models. the .40 is quite a bit snappier than the 9mm.

Guest capt usa

I owned a M&P in a 40 cal and really liked it (course I like just about every gun). If you're wanting one to carry you should shoot a few and see how they fit you, not only how they handle but how they carry according to your body type. Good luck in your search (that's half the fun).

I have to say I carry a XD40 and It is the best shooting gun I have ever owned. Glocks have a slimmer profile than the XD line, but for me they are just not as comfortable, I also like the fact that it has the loaded chamber indicator, so when I take the wife to the range I have that extra margin of safety. Both quality guns however, just gotta find what is comfy for you.

Just to throw it out there, when the weather is cool enough to allow a fairly thick, unbuttoned shirt or jacket as a cover garment, I can pretty easlily carry my P95. With such a cover garment, it actually carries and 'casually conceals' pretty well in a leather belt-slide holster that holds it fairly high (as in the trigger guard is about even with my belt) and tight. I have smaller handguns (a P3AT and a S&W 642) that carry well in a pocket or small belt holster when a heavier cover garment isn't practical and a CZ (technically, vz) 82 that works well as sort of an in-between pistol - also carried in a belt slide holster - but haven't had any difficulty carrying my P95 during Winter or the cooler parts of Spring or Fall if I decide to do so. I don't see carrying it when a t-shirt and shorts are the order of the day but I don't see carrying anything much larger than the P3AT or 642 on those days, anyhow.

I had a Kel Tec P11 (a compact 9mm) that I carried for a while. I also had a P95 that I didn't want to carry much as it was a gift and I'd hate to see it taken by the police if I ever had to use it in self defense. I came to realize, however, that because I could really only carry the P11 in an OWB holster with a cover garment (I can't do IWB), I could carry/conceal the P95 with more or less the same type of cover garment. As the P95 is much easier to shoot, holds more rounds in a flush-fit mag and can easily handle +P rounds without beating the shooter's hands up, I decided to trade the P11 for a second P95 to which I have no sentimental attachment. That is the one I use for carry, sometimes, and I don't regret trading the smaller 9mm one, little bit.

So, depending on your carry style and how often you want to carry a larger gun/caliber, the P95 you already own and with which you are already familiar just might serve the purpose without needing to buy another handgun. That is unless you are just wanting another one.

Edited by JAB

I'd prefer to rent or borrow different models before making a decision to purchase. For years I reloaded and shot one caliber but now have 4 different calibers and use two primarily. I still only reload one, 45 acp. As my supply of used brass increases I'll begin reloading other calibers as well.

Guest Victor9er

I second (or third) the notion of trying them out and seeing which one you personally prefer.

Glock, S&W M&P, and the XD are all good (similar) guns so it's really just a matter of personal prefrence. I own two Glocks and I love them.

One thing though, I noticed you said you reload. I know there are plenty of people that do, but if I'm not mistaken Glock recommends using factory ammo only. I don't think they will cover anything under warranty if you use reloads. Not sure about the other brands, but might be something you want to look into.

The simplicity of the glocks hooked me. I've been carrying a g27 for 3 years and recently found a steal on a gen4 g22.

The grip on the gen4 g26 & g27 is sweet and will probably trade my gen3 g27 for the 4 soon.

Like mentioned earlier in the price range check out the big 3 xd, glock, and m&p. Fondle them all and see which tickles you the most.