AK grip and stock quesitons

I notice there is a lot of people who seem to use the SAW style grip. Is it really that comfortable over say the factory grip? I am also considering a Hogue and I know it will be great but wondering if the extra cost is worth it over the SAW or factory grip.

As far as stocks go what seems to be the most comfortable?

I am converting a Saiga 12 over to a pistol grip configuration and was wondering what those who have them are running on theirs. I am not concerned with the forearm as I like it.

Dolomite

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

I always used the SAW grip on conversion. I've got big hands and never really cared for the standard AK grip. For stocks, I used KVAR NATO length stocks. Good solid stock.

I also prefer the saw grip. But on my upcoming Saiga conversion I am looking at the houge or ergo for this AK. I run them both my AR's. I like the Ergo due to the stickiness of the grip. Carolina Shooters Supply has a good assortment.

I have the AK grip on 3 guns now. I had the Saw on a saiga conversion and it worked well. My S12 has a hogue and it is the nicest of the three though it requires a bit of shaving to fit tight without wobble.

I've found the Standard AK stock to be the best for myself for full size and the sidefolder the best if I want it to go shorter.

Edited by sigmtnman
Guest agt.dealer

ive wasted more money on parts then the gun!!dont just buy em,try them out!i hated the saw grip feel!!i went with the caa grip,mako makes one like it now too,only way to get the magpul grip feel on a ak and i love it!!for the stock i found you need to tailor it to you!!!!my yugo had such a high weld it hurt my cheek just to sight it down!!again i went with the caa m-4 stock,tho the wood ones can be bought in any length and height.

I absolutely hate any of the Magpul grips.

I am going to go with the SAW or the Hogue grip. I have always liked the feel of the hogues.

As far as the stock that is where I am having a hard time. I like the idea of a folding stock but don't think I really have a need for one. But without one the gun is a long gun. I like th Tapco T6 folder but it looks really short. That leaves me with the idea of the ATI folding, collapsible stock.

So many choices.

Dolomite

Guest agt.dealer

the last few years have brought out alot of goodies for the ak for sure!i almost got the ati stock!very good feel!just didnt like the look!im an idiot for looks and not feel!thats why i did the ar stock conversion,its really hard to get a good cheek line without it,tho the ati does have a adjustable piece to help.M.I has some great new rails out now to,the new shotgun news demoed them all and there light and bada$$!if you ever wanna try out a m-4 stocked ak give me a shout!!any idea on who would be a good local place to have a optic rail installed on my ak??

Guest bkelm18
I had a saw grip on one and hated it and swapped back to the regular kind. I have kvar sets on both of mine at wasr length and love em.

That's Warsaw. Missed a few letters. ;)

I have a Hogue coming. I ordered a pistol grip conversion kit form CSS today. The rivets are drilled out and the receiver disassembled for when the kit arrives. That put me in bed for the rest of the day but I am pleased with everything I did. I am using their billet trigger guard with a Hogue grip. I also ordered a shepards hook, the JTE performance spring as well as a 10 round stick mag. I will be modifying the BHO to make assembly easier as well.

I am going with a collapsible stock for now until I find a stock I like. I have a number of friends who own AK's so I will try their guns to try to get an idea of which buttstock I like.

This is my first in depth interaction with anything AK. I have never owned one before but I did carry one from time to time during my time overseas. Those were bare bones AK's but they did have the "fun" position on the safety. Although I rarely used it in full auto it was fun at the range. I miss what I used to do but can no longer do that because of my injuries.

And when I get it the way I like it I am going to Form 1 it so I can shorten the barrel to a more manageable size. I built a suppressor on a Form 1 this year and that was fun. The wait can be a bit long but mine was only 96 days door to door.

Dolomite

I have both grips and do not care for the SAW. I actually prefer a factory AK grip to the SAW as far as feel. I lick the Houge the best of the 5 grips I have. I do agree that it is best if you can try before you buy.

I got the SAW on an AK I bought and just leave it on something because it counts as a 922 part. But it really deponds on the individual , It just doesn't fit me as well as others.