Whats the weirdest thing you've ever seen at the range?

Guest sling

Guest sling

Probably the weirdest thing i've seen at a range (and i guess its not really that wierd) was when i got to the TWRA range one day and got in line. There were these guys trying to pay for tickets who were quarreling with the park ranger in arabic, cant remember his name. He finally sends them away. At any rate i asked the ranger what all the fuss was about and he said they were a bunch of Iraqi's who didnt speak much English. I guess at some point they told him they were from Iraq or something. Ever since then they've had a sign up that says you have to speak English to shoot there. :(

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sling

Their reasoning was just. They didnt let them in because they would be able to understand the instructions that were being given over the PA system by the RSO's.

We were shooting an M-60 at Ft Leonard Wood-- my friend Ted was shooting and I was assisting. Despite all that noise from the M-60, a deer, a young buck, bounded across the range behind our targets, maybe 100 meters away. Ted took aim and missed the deer with probably 30-40 rounds. We think the deer lived- there was no evidence of any blood or anything else- and the deer was running quite well when he left the range.

The instructors never let Ted forget that-- neither did I.

Guest GLOCKGUY

the weirdest thing i saw was a guy trying he hardest to load .45 ACP in a 9MM gun. we asked him what he was trying to do he said when he bought the gun from a buddy of his he told him it would shoot both type of rounds. we told him his buddy was wrong. I'm just glad it was not a .45 ACP gun and he trid to shoot 9MM threw it :(

A turkey walkin thru at 15o yards with about 6 guys shootin, and hes lookin at my bowlin pins fallin down. we let him pass, but really weird, deaf turkey maybe :( Oh and the heard of pigs we destroyed up at Hoff (Grafenvier) with our 155s

Edited by 2HOW
Guest bkelm18

Never really seen anything weird. Just the usual people blatantly disregarding range rules, thugs shootin their "nines", and people shooting much much better than I can.

Guest Boomhower

O...I've got a good TWRA story for ya......I was at a TWRA range once during a seasonal drawn deer hunt. The range was adjacent to where everyone camped out, and there was probably 50 or so hunters there altogether. It was mid morning (10ish) when all of a sudden about 5 big "BOOMS" echoed down the range. A near by ranger came flying thru the camp site to see what all the commotion was about.....Needless to say, me and my buddy had a long drive back out of there with everybody starring at us as we drove off. :(

Guest Grout

At a match a guy waiting to shoot says "I hear something,like someone yelling"sure enough two teenage girls are coming down the ridge that is the backstop yelling "Don't shoot".they were running away from an abusive father and had wandered through the woods onto the range property.

the weirdest thing i saw was a guy trying he hardest to load .45 ACP in a 9MM gun. we asked him what he was trying to do he said when he bought the gun from a buddy of his he told him it would shoot both type of rounds. we told him his buddy was wrong. I'm just glad it was not a .45 ACP gun and he trid to shoot 9MM threw it :D

Actually my story is the opposite of yours.

I did see a guy load 9mm into a 1911 magazine and try to fire it. Fortunately it did not fire, but the whole 9mm cartridge did fall out of the barrel when the trigger was pulled.

Try it sometime. :koolaid:

Guest sling
At a match a guy waiting to shoot says "I hear something,like someone yelling"sure enough two teenage girls are coming down the ridge that is the backstop yelling "Don't shoot".they were running away from an abusive father and had wandered through the woods onto the range property.

Yes, lets run towards the gun fire. :D

Guest desireeharper1

i've seen idiot kids shooting across us into mud puddles under the other targets at prentice cooper, and a father and son walking downrange without clearing it first a few times before someone told them to stop. i told the kids to knock it off b/c it's dangerous and they were getting my targets wet! i also saw (at carter's) some guys refuse to wear ear muffs, and it's pretty loud in there. oh- and i shoot a "9". :D

My told of two incidents when he was bullseye shooting in the late '50's:

A match in Florida where the line had standing water and a copperhead swam down the line.

At another match a well endow female shooter had a .45 case go down her open blouse and when she tried flipping it out the case wasn't the only thing to be freed. :-)

With the full rack at Cheatham Co. range a few years back. He would

come out of the woods and want everyone to pet him,then he would

go fifty yards down the range lay down and sleep while you had to shoot over him. Not to mention the Copperheads&Rattlers under the cardboard

backstops getting out of the sun.

I've seen 9mm fired out of a .40 several times. The brass expands to fit the .40 chamber and gets stuck there, since the extractor doesn't get a hold of the smaller case rim.

The gun belonged to a friend of mine, and I saw the wrong ammunition fired out of it at least 3 separate times. He used to have an ammo can full of 9mm and .40 that someone found in their attic and gave him. This went on for a couple of months until he finally blew up the gun with a squib.

Guest Boomhower
:rolleyes: Where you not supposed to be shooting or something?

Exactamoondo. Granted, they had an excellent back stop there and we were only checking to see if the rifle's were still dialed in....but they were hunting in the woods all around the range area, and with it being mid morning, I'm sure there were still some guys in the woods.

did someone get the Dad as he came over....by accident of course?:rolleyes:

Guest darkstar

Had a slightly weird experience yesterday at the range. This couple came in both of them with pistols in holster, open carry and both of them sportin' the shiny "concealed weapon permit" badges on their holsters. Forgetting the derrision that they both deserve for even having such "badges" why would you display your "concealed carry" badge on an openly carried weapon? Who frickin' buys these things anyways?