Work concealed carry

What is your company policy on concealed carry at work?

I just knew you were gonna start a thread here. I got on tonight just to look for it. I'm hoping we get approval to CC inside the building, but trying not to get my hopes up either. I don't really know about such things, but I bet it'll all come down to insurance and liability issues.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is your company policy on concealed carry at work?

I ask because our current policy is not on the premise's. It is treated more don't ask dont tell we normally just leave them locked in the car.

Last night as we were leaving a few were staying late and were freaking out trying to hurry and get all the doors locked. There had been a robbery and one of the three armed juveniles was on the run. The helicopter's were flying over and metro had the road blocked while they searched. Now this isn't the first problem around since I work off of trinity lane and brick church pike in north nashville.

This morning I met with our human resources person about looking at out gun policy and allowing concealed carry to those with a permit. At the least allowing locked in our desk. She is going to ask questions and check other work policies to see. She is a permit holder but does not carry. But others in the office are anti gun. I would guess at least one third of our employees are permit holders.

What are your company policies? How is it written in your hand book if there is one?

Sent from my Droid X using Smoke Signals!

That's funny, I freelance over at the Dillards Fulfillment center off Brick Church, which is posted. Small world. I leave it in the car, but then again, I don't technically "work" for Dillards.

-a

I just knew you were gonna start a thread here. I got on tonight just to look for it. I'm hoping we get approval to CC inside the building, but trying not to get my hopes up either. I don't really know about such things, but I bet it'll all come down to insurance and liability issues.

I thought I would see what others that can CC inside are doing. So far it seem's there is more guns on the car than on hips. I an fairly certain I will CC inside from this point forward with hopes that they will come around.

Sent from my Droid X using Smoke Signals!

I am one of the lucky ones, I own my own business and I can do as I want. I have a sign on my front door saying Guns Welcome and I have a shooting range right out my back door. I run a small motorcycle repair shop just outside of town where I have 160 acres of ground which includes 40 acres of creek bottom and lots of trees. I have worked for a tornado magnet builder ( mobil home plant ) a couple of times and they don`t allow guns anywhere on the property which is dumb since almost everyone is armed with a staple or nail gun. Some of them will shoot 3 inch nails about 25 yards and stick in the wall.

There are signs posted on the buildings where I work now. I keep my handgun in a small safe in my car while at work. I do carry a pocket knife and a small can of pepper spray in my pocket.

At my last job, no weapons were allowed on the property (no car carry). They were Nazis about it and there was zero tolerance. They fired 2 employees who were caught on camera buying\selling a paintball gun in the parking lot. I was even given a warning for using a 2" pocket knife. To make matters worse, the company was on the corner of Brooks Road and Elvis Presley, easily one of the top ten "bad" areas in Memphis.

I will have to be very hungry before I work for another company that won't at least let me leave my gun in my car.

Our employee handbook says permit holders may keep there firearm in there locked vehicle or non permit holders may have a weapon during hunting season if they are going or coming from hunting(also in locked vehicle). When I first started with the city there was no firearms allowed other than the hunting part, but luckily in the last few years it was revised.

our policy is "no unathorized weapons, grounds for immediate dismissal" or something like that. It was not too hard to get the boss to authorize it -- he approved mine in 2000 in case the world blew up.

This is what I would like to see.

Guest ArmaDeFuego

The parking lot where I work is posted as you go in. There is no where else around to park except on a public street where I would more than likely be towed. :D

Its clearly stated in our employee policies that weapons arent permitted anywhere on the property (even in your car in the parking lot) & you can only have a pocket knife with a blade of 3 inches or less. So all I ever have at work (& coming & going to work since I cant even keep my gun in my car) is a small knife.

They have never done random car searches or anything like that, but a guy was fired one time because he was dumb enough to take his gun out of his car for a second in the parking lot to move it to another place in the car & someone saw it. I'm sure there are a ton of people who bring their guns anyways & leave them in their car, but knowing my luck the first time I do that they will decide to randomly search my car & I would be fired on the spot. :D

I REALLY hope they pass the "guns in employer parking lots" bill that some other states have. We really need that here. Sorry, but NO ONE can ever convince me that an employer's right to regulate what goes on in their business trumps my 2nd amendment right to keep & bear arms.

I work for a very small company (4 of us total) my boss seems kind of neutral on the gun thing, admittedly not a gun guy but does not care at all if I choose to carry while I'm working. He did ask me recently about buying a gun and getting a carry permit. I used to work for what was considered a small business but was actually a pretty good sized company in Knoxville, they had a "Friends of the NRA" sticker right on the front door. Carrying was approved and even encouraged. This was in 2010 BTW. Other employers have not been as good.

Wouldn't you like to know in those oh so famous words?

"and now for the rest of the story"

Indeed I would! I've always wondered about it - whether he was showing off to someone he met up with out on the highway, was twirling it on his finger or just had a Barney Fife moment. The world may never know... :)

Indeed I would! I've always wondered about it - whether he was showing off to someone he met up with out on the highway, was twirling it on his finger or just had a Barney Fife moment. The world may never know... :)

Well if you had read. I was not playing around with it.

So riddle me this, in my situation... I work at a warehouse here in Nashville... I'm not an employee of Dillards but an independent contractor... On the way in, there's a no weapons sign, not too obviously posted, doesn't mention guns specifically... Do you think this counts?

I EDC a Kel Tec PF9... could probably keep it pretty concealed... Not sure if it's worth the risk unless someone got disgruntled boxing up clothes and went on a warehouse rampage...

They also couldn't really fire me, it'd be a matter of not hiring me again, but they've got me on hold most of the month of Dec too... Ehh who knows, I'll just keep it close.

I used to work for a sub contractor for Comcast doing their collections. The guy in charge said don't carry a firearm. Do you really think anyone listened to that? I was going into the ghettos of Nashville to collect money for their cable bill or collect the cable box and you don't want me carrying something?

Now I work for a company that doesn't allow it but I know some do..

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

My former employer, Home Depot, has a strict weapons policy. No guns, pocket knives or even your own box cutter on the property. Also, you cannot have any of those items on you when shopping on your own time in the store you worked. If you carry in there on your time off you will be subject to termination via the work place violence policy that they have.

I know that several HCP holders at my former store have their firearms locked in their vehicles while at work. If I had to guess, approximately 30 to 40 percent of the people I worked with were firearms friendly. I'm sure a couple of the ASM's I dealt with on a regular basis knew I kept a firearm in my vehicle and didn't bother to do anything about it.

While employed at HD, I would shop at the store closer to me and carry in there. I know of one associates at that store that might have been able to remember I worked with them at the 100 Oaks store. However, I was never made and nothing was ever said.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm always gonna have a firearm in my vehicle. I'll never mention anything about it to my new employer either.

Edited by StreetWK05
Public utility - nothing in the policy manual regarding arms.

Crew room used for gun cleaning, or trading, or just showing off on rain days.

I do not ever see us getting that relaxed. I will be happy just to not loose my job if someone notices my firearm when I bend over or reach for something.