Taurus pt145

UncleJak

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one of the first ones. My wife bought it for me when she was still my girlfriend. We've been married over 9 years so....

There was a time when it was my primary pistol, not just my EDC. It was IT. I have put beyond 5k through it. Issues I have had were some failure to fire on some 1943 surplus ammo [not the guns fault] and one of the plastic assembly pins broke in two and fell out about 2 years ago. I made some new steel ones and replaced the other plastic one. There's been a few stove pipes, mostly due to my experimenting to find a good load. Using quality ammunition, I have NEVER had a single failure in the whole time I have had it. Not one.

Taurus gets a nasty rep and I will admit, a good bit of it they earn. There's entirely too many returns for it to be a customer issue. Personally I like the one I have, it has proven itself, I am carrying it right now and no qualms about trusting my life to it. BUT, I probably wouldn't buy another taurus product due to their poor reputation.

Guest Cogent Design

I have a Taurus PT111 Pro. It's been a great gun for the price, but it will not shoot Monarch ammo. It'll have all sorts of problems. I switched over to Winchester and it hasn't missed a beat. Only 6-700 rounds through it though.

Love my PT145, points well, fits my hand very well. Had it for 5+ years and somewhere in the 1000 rd range. The only problem I've had was failure to return to battery when firing some really old, corroded, generally nasty surplus ammo (hey, it was free...). My hands were black after about 100 rds. I wiped the gunk out of it and it worked fine for a while longer. Zero other failures.

I'm easily "minute of pie plate" accurate with it inside 25 yds. While not my favorite target pistol, recoil isn't bad. I bought it new and the trigger took a little time to smooth out. Note that the factory Henie sights are designed for center-of-mass hold rather than the 6:00 that I prefer. I didn't know that at first and wondered why it shot 2-3" low.

The early models had frame cracking problems. "PRO" on the slide and the presence of the accessory rail indicate the "fixed" newer version, which is effectively identical to the 24/7 model.

Does anyone have any input on the Taurus pt145 ?? I have an opportunity to acquire one of these and know nothing about them. Any advice or opinions are welcome! Thanks!

I've never shot one, but my neighbor has. He bought it as a larger caliber alternative to his Bersa Thunder .380. He really enjoys his PT145, especially its relative high capacity magazine compared to other .45 autos. He is a former Marine, and member of one of their pistol teams while in the service, so I value his opinion on firearms.

I've had mine for several years & no failures to date. I've been satisfied enough w/ it for it to be my EDC.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

Same here. EDC. It is one of the smallest and easiest to conceal .45's out there and makes a great carry weapon.

Have had several Taurus pistols over the years since my first, the PT 100 40 cal. Several of the Millenium Pro in both 40 and 45. Also had one the first generation standard 145 guns. I've been lucky, as some would say, in that I've never had a problem with any of mine. Had a Millenium 9mm as a carry for a while, then switched to the Milpro 145. Really liked it a lot. As I got more funds, I have tended to upgrade the Name and quality of my guns, but still have what I consider to be the best of those I bought early on. Last one I got was a 24/7 Pro DS in 45, but I haven't taken it to the range yet.

If you don't find any obvious defects in the frame or function cycling the action, I wouldn't be afraid of one. Taurus can be one of the best values for the money out there, especially in the used market. JMO

Guest captdavidjm

Bought the Millinium Pro Pt145 last summer. Shot the heck out of it and Never a single issue. Ran great, very accurate for size. and Very Easy to carry. While the high dollar gun snobs were tweakin', mumblin' and tryin to figure out what type of mod. they needed or what type of ammo their 1K+ shining exmple of marketing would swallow. The good 'ol PT145 just kept going Bang, didn't seem to matter what I put in the mag.

I liked it so well I sold it to a relative (that I like)

The only thing I didn't like about the PT145 was the long pull on the trigger. Other than that, I wouldn't hesitate to own another one.

The 299 price I mentioned is at CDNN. You have to buy online but I find many of their deals to be cheaper than bud's. I don't see the stainless model in their catalog, so you could call and ask how much more for stainless. Earlier in the year, academy had a great deal on stainless, but that price is back up close to 400 now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk