Tennessee Camo

hello,

Say i was looking at getting a vest or whatnot to hold gear, etc. I know this is kind of a broad possibility, but overall in general what do you guys consider the best camouflage for TN. I have some Army ACU tops and bottoms I picked up because they were a couple bucks a piece, so I figured it's cheaper than anywhere else I'd find even regular clothing :D But this seems kind of light/whitish for most areas except perhaps rocky hills and maybe fields of tall grass. Seems like in woods and brush it would be better to have something darker.

Multicam to me looks like the best option, but the particluar vest I was looking at is only made in OD, brown, black, and ACU. So I figured OD was the best bet for varied backdrops. Thoughts?

Thanks!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be more serious as I assume since you put this in preparedness, you're talking about camo in a survival context. Frankly, in my experience the old woodland pattern works very well in Tennessee. Otherwise one of the commercial products like Realtree blend in very well. The ACU is, well, worthless except as urban camouflage here.

Personally, I like the multicam, but I haven't tried to sneak up on anyone in it. My son is into wearing woodland lately, and we went for a walk at Long Hunter Park a few weeks ago. He being a lot younger than I got way ahead of the rest of us. He decided to lean against a tree and wait for us to catch up. I didn't see him until I was right on top of him, but I wasn't looking for him either.

Actually digital woodland works pretty well.

Yeah I have one of those cheap $15 drop-leg hoslters in Woodland Digital that I picked up just as a holster for roaming around the woods. I like the coloration a lot, but it seems like all the digital I see is 99% ACU / light digital.

You'll probably be OK with most camo that has at least some of the colors of your environment. Most animals, humans included, tend to key off movement way more than color so if you're sitting still and blend in reasonably well you're almost invisible. But if you're moving it almost doesn't matter what color your wearing unless you're doing so behind quite a bit of concealment.

I have to disagree with all the ACU hating, Ive individually tested it with the Soldiers at work who said it was a crap pattern. I put them in different locations in a wooded enviornment with different types of equipment. selected a group of soldiers to attempt to locate them. then i rotated the gear load out so that people hiding n the exact same area had different gear on. The ACU pattern did remarkably well, i attribute alot of this to it being a little later in the season and having alot of greys in the trees. The guy covered head to toe in ACU was always the last to be spotted even after the guy covered in the woodland camp pattern. The first people spotted were the ones wearing black caps or gloves and the guys with weapons also black. greys are also ome of the first colors to loose visibility during low light. Thats one of the reasons the navy adopted battleship grey. your flat greens also drop out pretty quickly. The reality of it is that no camo patter works great in every area during every season. The best cammo advise i can give is stay away from anything black. It is a color that the eye naturally picks out better than others and the last color to drop out of visibility during darkness. Multicam is great but for TN youd be just as well off to use real tree cammo for the greener times of the year and switch to ACU's in the winter months

Theres a small company that started a camo clothing line called Toadafloge or something similar. They are located in the vicinity of the northern part of Watts Bar lake so your money stays local if you like it. (i havent bought any, but it looked pretty effective for east TN woods)