Sharpen a machete?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea a file to shape an edge then a couple of the rough stones to clean it up. No need to take it much past that if you are using it on brush and so on, the sharper you make it, the faster you will dull it, it just needs to be "lawnmower" sharp. You can even do a one sided edge if you like, for yard work.

Guest Broomhead

I just picked up a tool sharpening kit for my Dremel and I'm anxious to try it out. It has three attachments, one for chainsaws, one for mower blades, and one for tools. It comes with four different stones, three different grits for chainsaws, and one bigger rough one for the mower and tool attachments. The chainsaw attachment has to be eyeballed to line everything up, but its pretty simple. The mower and tool ones have a set bevel but there is some wiggle room to match the existing bevel. I would think experimenting with different size/shaped stone bits would yield different angles.

I just picked up a tool sharpening kit for my Dremel and I'm anxious to try it out. It has three attachments, one for chainsaws, one for mower blades, and one for tools. It comes with four different stones, three different grits for chainsaws, and one bigger rough one for the mower and tool attachments. The chainsaw attachment has to be eyeballed to line everything up, but its pretty simple. The mower and tool ones have a set bevel but there is some wiggle room to match the existing bevel. I would think experimenting with different size/shaped stone bits would yield different angles.

Let us know how it works. Be careful, I would think you could ruin a good chainsaw chain in a hurry with that. I'd say a machete would be fine regardless. I usually just use a mill fill or an old sithe stone.

Guest Broomhead

I have previously just used a file myself. My latest machete, the only non-Walmart cheapo I've ever had, was so dinged a blunt that it wouldn't cut air. We have also had the need to sharpen mower blades this summer which took way too long with a file for the same reasons. The instructions do say to run the Dremel at a medium-high speed and go very slowly on each tooth. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it this week, though its looking doubtful.

Our local farmer's co-op will sharpen a chainsaw chain with their fancy machine for $5 off the saw. It takes maybe 15 minutes. When the last sharp chain goes on the saw, the other 3 go to be sharpened.

The last machete I sharpened (which has been a long time ago) I did with a belt sander. Just don't get it too hot.

Sorry to divert the thread, but harbor freight has had a coupon out for an electric chain saw sharpener for 29.99. It is fantastic! I sharpened my three blades first day and three for my dad the next. Probably 5-10 minutes per blade. It made me want to throw away my files.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I think y'all may need a lesson in filing a saw chain (no offense intended). 10-15min max should be all it takes to get it cutting 2"long ribbons of wood.

I learned while a sawyer in the Forest Service, it does take some practice but is quite efficient. Although $5 a chain is pretty dang cheap :)

I think y'all may need a lesson in filing a saw chain (no offense intended). 10-15min max should be all it takes to get it cutting 2"long ribbons of wood.

I learned while a sawyer in the Forest Service, it does take some practice but is quite efficient. Although $5 a chain is pretty dang cheap :)

Ok... educate us. :)

Guest Lester Weevils

I got good use out of a lawnmower sharpener bit attached to an electric drill for years, but would probably use belt sander now that I have one. Hand-held angle grinder or bench grinder would work fine, but at my low skill level a belt sander makes it more difficult to completely ruin the job. :rolleyes: