Honest Opinions on small 380's??

Guest Catfish36

Guest Catfish36

Ok Brothers and Sisters , I know that my simple question is going to open up a can of worms. And I am well aware of what opinions are like. I am also aware that I will most likely walk away from this forum and still have my same question. But I am new to TGO and have enjoyed reading your comments, so I hope to glean from your knowledge and experience.

So here is the debate, I am in search of the best quality and value in a small 380. In researching them I find that if you read articles from one group..they swear by Ruger...while another group likes Taurus or Kel-tec. I fear this question will probably get the same results in this forum, but if so , at least we will be spending our time together discussing hanguns (which we obviously all enjoy doing..ha).

I had my heart set on the LCP originally, until I met a knowledgable man who showed me the Taurus version which he and his wife both carry and love. The Taurus is about 30 dollars cheaper and comes with 2 mags...well that all sounded good to me. Then I read online about the Taurus and find some who claim they are nothing but trouble...

I love my GLOCK 27 and it will probably always be my main carry weapon. Looking for something even smaller as a back-up and for times when I really really need to conceal or maybe just as an option with a little more comfort when needed. I don't think i want to go any less than 380 ammo.

Let the debate begin:

P.S. I am in Blount County. The best prices I have found in this or Knoxville Area are at Bill's Outpost. If anyone knows of somewhere around this area with good prices I would love to go take a look. Thinking of finding the time to drive to Morristown to this "Mikes" y'all keep bragging about..haha.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rebeldrummer

Sig 238 .... Kahr P380 ... S&W Bodyguard ... Ruger LCP

that is just my list...

it comes down to 2 things....what you want to or can spend. and how the pistol feels to YOU.

as far as reliability and functionality, I dont think you can go wrong with the 4 listed above.

Or the Taurus for that matter, just never had a chance to get some range time with one???

Anyways, good luck choosing. Post some pics and brag about which ever one you bring home

Merry Christmas and God bless

You mentioned quality & value, of which the latter can be really subjective.

Quality:

I'd say you can't go wrong with any manufacturer that offers good customer service. Because lets face it any gun manufactured in high volume can have issues. So that said, ruger, S&W, Sig, Khar, are all great.

Value:

This is a whole other can of worms. To me this means best gun for the money. I'd say Sig P380, it's in the $500-600 range but you get a really great shooting sturdy gun that's not abusive to shoot.

Now if you're only considering price vs problems. I'd say you can't go wrong with your original choice of Ruger. But if money is not an issue I'd check out the Sig, or Khar if you want a lighter 380

Guest Catfish36

To Kieefer and Hiker, Thanks for your suggestions ..that is exactly what I was hoping for. But can you elaborate on WhY? you feel your choice is the best?? I had looked briefly at the bodyguard and I like it..but it seemed slightly larger and heavier than the Taurus or Ruger just at a glance. My purpose being more comfortable and concealable than my baby Glock when needed, I leaned toward the Ruger or Taurus. Also the price point of the S&W made me lean toward the other two.

To Rebeldrummer, Thanks also for your suggestions...and Rebel..we are getting a group together to go shooting at Gunny's this Thursday. When you figure out who I am ..just give me a text and come with us. HA! How do the Sig and Kahr rate price wise?

Guest Catfish36

LumberJack..you are right on my thought process. Would love to have the sig..but again..my guess is it's sturdiness also makes it heavier..and it is a bit more expensive..I don't think I am willing to trade weight and price for what I am looking for.

So again I lean towards the Ruger or Taurus. I have shot the Ruger briefly and was able to make a nice group for the amature shooter I am. I have not shot the Taurus, but was told it does have a slightly shorter trigger pull , and less price..makes it tempting. Anyone shot or owned both?

I have not shot the Taurus, but was told it does have a slightly shorter trigger pull , and less price..makes it tempting. Anyone shot or owned both?

The difference in trigger pull is not much and might not be noticeable. For $30, I'd go with the Ruger, although Taurus makes good guns, they do have a reputation of having issues.

Otherwise I've shot both and both performed very similarly. You won't be disappointed either way.

Guest Catfish36

Rereading all of this ..it just sounds like I am trying to get you guys to talk me into going and buying that Ruger I was wanting in the first place..haha.

Maybe I can talk my wife into buying it for me for Christmas!

BTW..I love that tag picture LJ.."Now you can have it.."..

All other opinions still welcome.

I had a PF11 when the Sig came out but being a new model and pricey it scared me off.The Kel-Tec had a few issues and it went back twice for repairs, I sold it and bought a LC9. I really didn't like the thinness of the LC9 (or the PF11) and the more I shot it the more uncomfortable it became. I also wasn't very accurate with it.

I came across a deal on my Sig and quickly sold the LC9 and bought the Sig.The Sig felt perfect in hand and I was very accurate with it. I did have to upgrade to the current flat-wound recoil spring and the Sig CS was great. I haven't had any problem with it since. It's my daily carry using a IWB that conceals very well.

At first the condition 1 of cocked and locked bothered me but with range practice I've become very comfortable with it. It's a very nice shooter.

Get what you like and can shoot well. :)

BTW, I bought my Nitron for $437. :D

Edited by kieefer

Lumber_Jack makes a very good point here. Trigger pull, as well as felt recoil, is somewhat a subjective quantity from person to person. I have owned the Keltec in .32 and the LCP in .380. From my perception, the trigger pull is better on the LCP, and the recoil effect seems somewhat lighter. I don't have any experience with the Taurus .380 though. I really prefer the .32 caliber to the .380, especially using hadball rather than hollowpoint ammo. I seems to have better penetration than the .32. This was from my own testing using old phone books at 10 to 20 feet.

But for the guns in question, I'd prefer the Ruger LCP, just because it holds and shoots a little better for me. And yes it's a .380. But it's been with me for about a year now and am well pleased with it. I usually try to put 10 or so rounds thru it each time I go to the range, just to keep familiar with it.

i do sorta like the Sig 238, but price and size kind of knock it out for me.

But continue your research, hold each as much as you can, and if possible, try to shoot both before buying. But when all is done, just go with whatever feels right for you. If it don't feel good...you won't carry it. Then it's just an expensive paperweight.

Good luck and good shooting.

Guest Catfish36
Have you tried COAL CREEK ARMORY up your way? I have never been there, but have heard some positive things about them.

Yes, I love the guys at CCA..they are knowledgable and friendly..good folks. They have always been good to me. Bought my Glock there and took my HGC class there from Instructor Rick Newtrom who was very experienced. Big Props to Tony and Scott and all the boys down at CCA. They were willing to deal with me to get a good deal on my Glock.

But over the counter, no haggle price...Bill's Outpost usually has them beat. Also a friendly bunch.

So here is the debate, I am in search of the best quality and value in a small 380. In researching them I find that if you read articles from one group..they swear by Ruger...while another group likes Taurus or Kel-tec. I fear this question will probably get the same results in this forum, but if so , at least we will be spending our time together discussing hanguns (which we obviously all enjoy doing..ha).

I had my heart set on the LCP originally, until I met a knowledgable man who showed me the Taurus version which he and his wife both carry and love. The Taurus is about 30 dollars cheaper and comes with 2 mags...well that all sounded good to me. Then I read online about the Taurus and find some who claim they are nothing but trouble...

I love my GLOCK 27 and it will probably always be my main carry weapon. Looking for something even smaller as a back-up and for times when I really really need to conceal or maybe just as an option with a little more comfort when needed. I don't think i want to go any less than 380 ammo.

Let the debate begin:

P.S. I am in Blount County. The best prices I have found in this or Knoxville Area are at Bill's Outpost. If anyone knows of somewhere around this area with good prices I would love to go take a look. Thinking of finding the time to drive to Morristown to this "Mikes" y'all keep bragging about..haha.

I have the sig p238. Its more expensive, but I would not trade it for one of each of the other brands; its that much better. The locked breech against the blowback reduces its recoil over the other designs, and the 1911 trigger system makes it a joy to shoot instead of difficult. A few have reported issues with them but we have 2, his and hers, and they have happily put 500 s&b, 2000 handloads, and a couple of boxes of critical defense downrange without any real trouble. Mine had a minor issue out of the box, it would lock open when not empty due to some bullet designs hitting the slide stop in the mag, but that was cured by my gunsmith and it has not had a hiccup since. The next best 380 after the sig is much larger, a makarov, walther all metal classic ppk, or a bersa would be my picks. The micro DAO blowbacks are not just not up to par with any of those. *** I have not tried a khar and have no opinion of them, but I suspect its in the dao blowback category, a notch above the cheap ones but still in that pack.

I've got an LCP..... Its a great gun, but I cant seem to hit the broad side of a barn with..... I bought a Crimson Trace thinking that would help and it hasn't.... lol Don't get wrong, I have had no complications with it, but I jus find it hard to shoot (really thinking of selling the darn thing)..... I can drive tacks with my Glocks, so thats no the issue....

Guest Catfish36

This close to Christmas..got kids to buy for..and you guys keep bringing up this Sig!!...Are y'all just trying to get me in trouble with the wife spending that kind of money?..haha

Guest rebeldrummer
This close to Christmas..got kids to buy for..and you guys keep bringing up this Sig!!...Are y'all just trying to get me in trouble with the wife spending that kind of money?..haha

go with the Ruger....it is what you keep coming back to. You will not be disappointed. Even if you are, you can re sell it on here and get most of your money back.

Then you can try another one out....But I have a feeling you wont need to do that.

The sig is SWEET...but as others have mentioned, the price is the turn off.

The S&W has the built in laser....so you pay for that upfront. But its a cool option

You can get the add on laser for the LCP later if you decide to keep, either way you win???!!!

And whats with the CATFISH???

Its not that much more. 400 -500 will get you one if you keep a weather eye peeled for a deal. Pass on the 500-700s and wait it out, its worth it. Or get a makarov for @200 - 300, a better gun than most and only a tiny bit bigger, and shoots cheaper ammo to boot.