SA Loaded or Ruger SR1911

sparksjr

I am about to pull the trigger on a purchase of a 1911. I had made up my mind to get a Springfield Loaded 1911 but ran across some positive threads on the Ruger SR1911 late last night. I thought I had my mind made up now this wrench gets thrown into my plan. I know the Ruger is/was hard to find, so there may not be many who can give me a hands on perspective but I am looking for some help here. I am a casual shooter, I dont plan to carry this one as I carry my M&P 9c, I wont be in any competitions and I wont be doing any trigger or internal upgrades to whichever gun I buy. Both guns look great, the ambi safety on the Springfield is kind of a turn off but I can replace that if needed. The Ruger apparently has a somewhat lighter trigger as well from what I have read.

The guns are about $300 apart in price, and with that $300 I could get a few upgraded mags for the Ruger and maybe even some custom grips if I wanted. So I guess what I am asking is if the Springfield is $300 better than the Ruger? I am certainly not an expert, so I dont know much about the internal differences in these guns. The Springfield may very well be worth $300 more...any insight is very appreciated.

For $300, I want to base my decision on more than just the feel of the gun in my hands if you know what I mean...

Thanks!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a couple of 1911's including the SR1911. They all shoot well and at the range you will not be able to tell a difference without a lot of shooting or even a ransom rest.

It is worth $300 more if you convince yourself it is. If you can find the ruger you will have an equally (if not better, 100% USA made) well shooting pistol for about $650.

FWIW...Ruger is ramping up production of the 1911 Jan 2012

The 2 mags that come with the SR1911 are of very good quality....same with the grips. It is pretty good out of the box.

I have never shot the Ruger but I really want to. I own a Springfield Loaded and I can honestly say it shoots wonderful. My Loaded is one gun that I would have a hard time parting with. A difference in $300.00...well...thats a judgement call. The re-sell on a Ruger may be a different story then the Loaded but I'm not sure. If you do go the Ruger route, and since we are basically nieghbors, holler at me and we can do some comparing. I would love to see how the Ruger does. I do know that they look very appealing.

Guest dubaholic2

i would have to vote for the ruger also. they feel very well made and great in your hand. i cant see where you would really benefit from spending the extra $300.

I'm heading to the range this afternoon and I think that the Ruger will be coming with me again :)

I'm gonna go broke buying all this .45 ACP ammo!!! I have no knowledge of the Springfield, but I know I love my Ruger and $300 would buy a lot of ammo. Also, I agree with what I_like_pie said, the 2 magazines that come with the Ruger seem to be very good quality.

Take a look at the Springfield range officer if you can find one. I was between that and the SR1911, I'm not a huge fan of stainless 1911s so I chose the Range Officer. Paid 730 + tax/FFL for the RO and I love the thing, great trigger, hand fit slide and a nice SS match barrel with a tight bushing. It doesnt have an ambi safety (I have no use for that) and it has Bomar style adjustable target sights instead of carry sights and no front serrations. The RO's are NM serial numbered so they are put together here using the imbel frame/slide. I handled the Ruger, would have liked to have a 100% US made gun but I rolled the dice on the Springer and I'm happy with it.

I would vote for the Ruger if they actually existed.

Gander Mountain in Turkey Creek had one about a month ago, they wanted 799 for it and I thought it was out of line. I did get to look at it for a while there and its a nice gun, it was gone before I left the store though so it was worth 800.00 to someone. Its the only one I've seen around here.

I went by Bill's Outpost today, they told me they have only had 5 of the SR1911 and none lasted more than a few hours. Said an employee bought one before it hit the shelf, lol. They had a SA TRP that was very nice and I think it convinced me that the full size is the way to go. Now I just need to play the waiting game for the SR1911 it seems. It would be nice to find somewhere to order one as Bill's didn't seem to have that option.

Guest NashvegasMatt

go with the loaded... had the ruger, and also an armscor 1911 at the same time.... to be honest, I sold them both to upgrade to the springfield because it is and upgrade. I'm glad I did it and wouldn't want that ruger back unless I was gunless. On the other hand, I would want that Armscor 1911 back, may have been cheap but shot like a dream. I would buy another Philippine gun long before I'd buy another Ruger; just being honest. They aren't worth $800-1000...just paying for the name. Only thing they have is excellent customer service...I don't think someone should buy a gun based on the customer service though....

side note on the ambi safety thing... When it is holstered, I like the ambi safety because I can arm the weapon if I am feeling unnerved without actually pulling the weapon out.

Also... I think the ruger having a lighter trigger pull is probably speculation by the shooter... In my case, the Ruger did not...but from the factory, the springer comes with a 4.5 pull I believe.

Edited by NashvegasMatt

Since my first post have seen a video from Hickok on youtube where the ruger measured a 5lb pull. SA's website say the loaded is 5-6lbs so trigger pull seems to be a wash now. I'm gonna goto a few places in Seymour this weekend and see if I can get my hands on a loaded. Bills said they sold the ruger for $650 when they had them and that is pretty tempting. Main thing is I don't have to buy now so I can take some time until the ruger catches up to demand and make a solid, informed decision. But damn I really wanna buy a new 1911 ASAP...lol. They say patience is a virtue, I call BS!

go with the loaded... had the ruger, and also an armscor 1911 at the same time.... to be honest, I sold them both to upgrade to the springfield because it is and upgrade. I'm glad I did it and wouldn't want that ruger back unless I was gunless. On the other hand, I would want that Armscor 1911 back, may have been cheap but shot like a dream. I would buy another Philippine gun long before I'd buy another Ruger; just being honest. They aren't worth $800-1000...just paying for the name. Only thing they have is excellent customer service...I don't think someone should buy a gun based on the customer service though.... side note on the ambi safety thing... When it is holstered, I like the ambi safety because I can arm the weapon if I am feeling unnerved without actually pulling the weapon out. Also... I think the ruger having a lighter trigger pull is probably speculation by the shooter... In my case, the Ruger did not...but from the factory, the springer comes with a 4.5 pull I believe.

SA triggers are all over the place, my RO was 5lbs, had a loaded a few years ago that was 8lbs, 1911 trigger pull is easily fixed though. Try before you buy no matter whose name is on the slide. I would also stick with an NM serial number loaded if possible, I think the loaded comes in both NM (assembled in USA) and 'made in Brazil' and they are priced the same. I have a Brazil assembled GI, thats the only way they come, and its a lot rougher inside than the NM serial number RO.

Both Springfield and Ruger have great customer service, I have used them both so thats a non-issue between them. Only thing is Springfield puts their lifetime warranty in writing, Ruger really doesnt have a written warranty but they will fix any issues that were their fault.

Only thing is Springfield puts their lifetime warranty in writing, Ruger really doesnt have a written warranty but they will fix any issues that were their fault.

I hadnt really considered that, thanks for the reminder. The lifetime warranty does go a long way and may well be worth the extra money. I need to do some research on Ruger's warranty (which I foolishly forgot to do) before I make a decision. I may call CCA (as bad as I hate to) and see if they have either of them in their demo case. I doubt they will have a demo SR1911 but they may in a month or so. I am always hesitant to dry fire a gun in front of the dealer but aside from being able to shoot them i dont know any other way to get a feel for the trigger...which isnt really a deciding factor unless they end up worlds apart.

Maybe I will just get one for Christmas and wont have to make the decision or spend the $$...ha

I hadnt really considered that, thanks for the reminder. The lifetime warranty does go a long way and may well be worth the extra money. I need to do some research on Ruger's warranty (which I foolishly forgot to do) before I make a decision. I may call CCA (as bad as I hate to) and see if they have either of them in their demo case. I doubt they will have a demo SR1911 but they may in a month or so. I am always hesitant to dry fire a gun in front of the dealer but aside from being able to shoot them i dont know any other way to get a feel for the trigger...which isnt really a deciding factor unless they end up worlds apart.

Maybe I will just get one for Christmas and wont have to make the decision or spend the $$...ha

I was in CCA the other day and they had neither a Springfield 1911 or a SR1911, they have been pretty light on 1911s lately, always worth a shot though. May want to check Gander Mountain also, thats the only place I have seen and held an SR1911. Ask before you dry fire and safety check first of course, if the salesman knows about 1911s they shouldnt say no. What I do is take a foam earplug with me when shopping, if they say no I ask if I can put the plug between the hammer and firing pin (they fit nicely in there) and then dry fire it. I dont blame some salemen/stores not letting people dry fire (especially when crowded), but a 1911 should be a non-issue trying it once or twice.

I hate waiting myself, usually its best to hold off and buy what you really want. I'm pretty sure the SR1911 will become more available in time. I remember when LCPs first came out you couldnt find them and people were paying over MSPR for them, nowadays you can find them cheap everywhere. But 1911 fever is pretty hard to cure and there are plenty out there to choose from if you need one right now.

Edited by KJ48

I hate to tell you but I am the reason CCA didn't have an SR1911. I have been searching for almost a year for the SR and just happened to call Wednesday. Low and behold they said they had just gotten one in and I promptly put my down payment on it! However I did get to play with it and the trigger is nice but can still get better. Not a problem IMO since I will get a trigger job done anyway. Fit and finish was awsome though with no rattle. They did say that Ruger is ramping up production so they may have some more soon. If you haven't made a choice by the end of January when I pick mine up I would be happy to let you shoot it if you want so you could get a feel for it.

Edited by gnmwilliams