Headspace wear and gauging

What do you all think about the concern of headspace wear on older military rifles? Is this a major concern and worth the price of go, no go gauges? If the overall condition of the old war horse is in good condition would any of you be concerned?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The vast majority of surplus military rifles were carried a lot, shot a little. While they may appear really beat up, there's likely little wear in the important areas. If it is of a caliber and origin where corrosive ammo was likely used, that's a different story. If you can see noticeable throat or crown erosion, then checking headspace isn't a bad idea. Semi-auto rifles typically have looser headspace than bolt guns. It helps them run better. Most rifles will quickly tell you that they need some attention... poor groups, poor function, cases splitting, bulging, etc. long before catastrophic failure is a concern (due to incorrect headspace).

i wouldny shoot one without checking the headspace not because of wear so much but because of interchanging parts you only get a chance to shoot a bad one once

This is why discriminating consumers look for surplus bolt guns with matching numbers. This is impossible with American made rifles as the only serial number is found on the receiver, the major parts were not matched, for good reason...the depot practices of the US military was shocking if you've see some pictures. ;) Many American surplus rifles are a hodge-podge of parts from different years and manufacturers. Europeans were a little more considerate.

I would honestly be more concerned with headspace on a US rifle than a numbers matching surplus rifle from any other country.

Guest sklax17

I would have to agree with the above post. While I headspace among several other gauges any gun that leaves my armory to go downrange a civilian will not need to accomplish the same task. Headspace however is key as if your headspacing is off in can cause cycle of ops problems for the weapon and the likely hood of the weapon firing out of battery is not possible. The big thing with headspacing is pressure and the lugs locking into the weapon properly. The main ones besides headspace that I would check on a rifle before firing it are barrel straightness, headspace and firing pin protrusion so that you know it will go bang upon the firing sequence. Barrel Erosion is the next though unless you are shooting for accuracy or burst/auto erosion isnt going to be a huge deal as that takes thousands of rounds. Most gunsmiths shouldnt have a problem headspacing your weapon for free as it is as simple as pulling bolt back insert the no-go gauge and make sure the lugs do not lock into place as they would with a round. But yes headspace is important.

I would have to agree with the above post. While I headspace among several other gauges any gun that leaves my armory to go downrange a civilian will not need to accomplish the same task. Headspace however is key as if your headspacing is off in can cause cycle of ops problems for the weapon and the likely hood of the weapon firing out of battery is not possible. The big thing with headspacing is pressure and the lugs locking into the weapon properly. The main ones besides headspace that I would check on a rifle before firing it are barrel straightness, headspace and firing pin protrusion so that you know it will go bang upon the firing sequence. Barrel Erosion is the next though unless you are shooting for accuracy or burst/auto erosion isnt going to be a huge deal as that takes thousands of rounds. Most gunsmiths shouldnt have a problem headspacing your weapon for free as it is as simple as pulling bolt back insert the no-go gauge and make sure the lugs do not lock into place as they would with a round. But yes headspace is important.

All good info ..... thanks. But one shop in Williamson Co. That begins with an F charges 45.00 to check the headspace. I wish it was free this would save me some $ on buying guages.

We're talking about a bolt action right?

If so, do you reload? If so, headspace is not an issue as long as it's not ridiculously excessive.

Method: Dedicate one lot of brass to the rifle. Full length size, prime and use about 10g of unique with some sort of filler like dacron quilt batting. Load the powder and a small pinch of filler stuffed [but don't ram it like a muzzle loader, just push it in place] and no bullet. Fire them all, then use only a neck sizing die. Never full length resize them! Load your starting charge and work up from there. Enjoy.

This procedure [in some fashion or another] is used by most everyone who seeks great accuracy even from high dollar rifles.

Apologies if you already knew all this.:D

We're talking about a bolt action right?

If so, do you reload? If so, headspace is not an issue as long as it's not ridiculously excessive.

Method: Dedicate one lot of brass to the rifle. Full length size, prime and use about 10g of unique with some sort of filler like dacron quilt batting. Load the powder and a small pinch of filler stuffed [but don't ram it like a muzzle loader, just push it in place] and no bullet. Fire them all, then use only a neck sizing die. Never full length resize them! Load your starting charge and work up from there. Enjoy.

This procedure [in some fashion or another] is used by most everyone who seeks great accuracy even from high dollar rifles.

Apologies if you already knew all this.:D

No I do not reload and the rest was mostly foreign language to me?

No I do not reload and the rest was mostly foreign language to me?

Oh...in that case you need to have the headspace checked properly. If you plan on ever buying more than one rifle in this caliber or you have buddies who have/will, a set of gauges are a wise and worthwhile investment so you can do it yourself. Good luck. :D