Gunsmith Tool Sets

Any reccomendations on a complete gunsmithing tool set? I will not be building any firearms with these tools, just basic disassembly, cleaning, etc.... It will be used on a wide range of firearms from rifles, shotguns, and different types of pistols. Are the complete sets worth looking at or should I just look at different tools and piece meal a set? If so which brands and which tools are a must have?

Thanks for replies

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would buy tools as you need them. Almost every "set" has items you will never need as well as missing items you will.

A quality set of screwdrivers. Either bit driver type or complete screw drivers. The screwdrivers that are sold in most stores are not ground correctly and only increase the likelihood of stripping a screw. I would alos include a set of nut drivers as well as allen type drivers in there.

Along with that a quality cordless screw driver. You do not want a drill. A drill spins too fast and is generally too strong for what you are gonig to use it for.

A decent set of punches, both steel and brass. The brass are not oging to be as fine as the steel punches. The steel punches should be small enough to knock pins and such out while the brass punches are for things suchs as dovetail sights.

A set of jewellers files as well as large files. The large files should be metal files with everything from course, double cut, files to really fine files for evening out large areas.

A set of dental picks. They are cheap and can be found in most discount tool supply stores as well as flea markets.

I am sure I am missing a lot of items for a basic kit and someone else will add to this.

Dolomite

Guest Lester Weevils
Oh yeah. A Wheeler fat Wrench. One of my most used tools, and not just for mounting optics.

Was about to ask about that one. Have been tempted to get it, but some reviewers complain about the tool. I've stripped or broken numerous screws with a grip of death tightening technique. It would be useful if it works.

Was about to ask about that one. Have been tempted to get it, but some reviewers complain about the tool. I've stripped or broken numerous screws with a grip of death tightening technique. It would be useful if it works.

I haven't had a bit of trouble with it. You just have to relieve the pressure on the spring when you're done with it. I do that with any spring loaded torque wrench. You do need to supplement the bits that come with it. Standard 1/4" hex drive bits.

Worth every penny to me.

You will likely need a rifle cleaning/work stand, get the red plastic one, durable and good enough. Also a variety of needle nose smooth and rough jaw with various bent tips. For holding the pistol frame I use a cheap drill press vice on a rubber mat. Plastic weighted hammer and a brass faced hammer. A gunsmith block where you have holes in it that you can lay a pistol down on it and knock pins out, get them at Brownells or make one out of wood or just use a roll of duct tape laid on its side (works well holding the pistol in place too). I used needle oilers a lot. I also have a sight tool and a Lyman digital trigger gauge. A laser boresighter is nice to have. I use Bear Metal "Q"-tips. I have a mini Lousiville Slugger 16" that I use to tap on revolvers to "walk" the side plates off. Ditto the punches, can't have too many: brass, steel and roll pin. Ditto files, especially needle files. Make some with "safe" sides where that side is smooth. The Wheeler bit set is good value, as are the Grace screwdrivers. You need pipe cleaners, Flitz and rags. Don't forget hex wrenches in both metric and inches. A variable speed Dremel with a bit kit and a Foredom help when controlled electric power is needed.

Remember some projects require rarely used expensive tools and that might be the time to borrow if possible or take the gun to a real smith.

This "kit" does about 90% of anything I do:

Gunworktools.jpg

Guest Lester Weevils

Hi Smiddy

I'm ignorant of any more than the barest simple gun work, but in my old age became a tool addict.

For years have had a B Square "Professional Gunsmithing Screwdriver Kit" where the bits appear shaped correctly to fit gun screws and I haven't managed to break it yet. Think at one time that set costed about $20. Though am not dissing the more expensive MidwayUSA kit quoted above. All the MidwayUSA stuff I've bought has been good.

Got a set of 5 dental picks cheap at Cheaper Than Dirt that didn't cost much. Haven't managed to tear them up yet, but they don't look of the quality that any USA dentist would actually use on teeth. Dunno if vets would even use em on dawgs. Though they may be just the thing for precision dental work in Borneo. :D I've used em a lot and they don't seem any worse for wear.

Recently noticed at Walgreens a set of two cheap dental picks which are of much higher quality. Shaped better and more ergonomic to hold. That walgreens cheap set also came with a very nice little plastic handled inspection mirror. Maybe most mechanical work wouldn't care about the quality of a dental pick, but maybe sometimes it matters.

I got several brass and steel punch kits from Cheaper Than Dirt that didn't hurt the wallet much, and so far they have held up fine.

Radio Shack sells a couple of inexpensive little sets of "electronic files". Way too small for anything except detail work, but they are fairly sharp and cut pretty well. The set has many unique flat and curved shapes to choose from. Haven't managed to tear them up yet. I used them to fit a CZ Kadet slide to a CZ 85 and they worked great. Fit the tiny spaces just fine. (The CZ Kadet slide comes intentionally too tight with instructions for fitting to the pistol).

Edited by Lester Weevils
Oh yeah. A Wheeler fat Wrench. One of my most used tools, and not just for mounting optics.

+1 on that.

I’ve had mine 3 or 4 years and haven’t had any problems either. Of course about all I use it for is switching around optics.

Midway has a 89-piece gunsmithing screwdriver set by Wheeler Engineering on sale for 62.99. Should have every bit you would ever need.

I've found this set to be invaluable, along with an inexpensive set of needle files. A good cleaning kit and a cleaning mat are must haves as well. You can't do much without a Dremel tool either.