What Rifle Should I Get?

This is a question for the avid rifle shooters in the Middle Tennessee area.

I'm thinking about buying a rifle for target shooting, but have no idea where to start. If I can't find one already customized (stock, barrel, trigger, scope, ect.), I'll end up doing that part myself.

My question is; What's the best caliber for this area. Again, I know little about rifles, nor do I have any idea where I can shoot one. If there isn't anywhere to shoot 1000 yards, there's no reason for me to buy one that's good for that. I'm looking for the best all-around rifle.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In bolt action, Savage .270. You get an excellent out of the box trigger, superb accuracy (OTB by the way), you can get them with a scope, and they don't cost much at all. In semi, any AR chambering, but I'd go with 5.56 or if you want something more - 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel.

Edited by Smith
Guest gcrookston

I would certainly 2nd a vote for a Savage. I have several that came out of the box with sub MOA accuracy. My favorite is the heavy barrel in .308 I've topped with a premere reticle preppred leupold VariXIII 6.5x20.

Same bullet but different brass. 6.8 was designed for the AR platform. And no they can't be fired from the same gun.

Currently, outside of AR makers, Ruger makes a 6.8 Ranch Rifle and you can get barrels chambered in 6.8 but will cost you.

Edited by Smith
Same bullet but different brass. 6.8 was designed for the AR platform. And no they can't be fired from the same gun.

Currently, outside of AR makers, Ruger makes a 6.8 Ranch Rifle and you can get barrels chambered in 6.8 but will cost you.

Ok Ok. I was looking at some Wikipedia page, and it said 6.8SPC (.270), so I wasn't sure. There are so many options when choosing a rifle, and being new to rifles, I'm getting easily confused.

Thanks again.

Guest EasilyObsessed
From the looks of things (prices), I'm gonna be stuck with a 10/22. A $700-$800 rifle is just not in the budget.

You can easily spend that much on upgrading a 10/22 :)

With scope, I probably have close to 700 into my 10/22. 1/4 inch groups at 25 yards with match grade ammo. 1/2 groups (discounting the occasional flyer) with CCI Mini-Mags. They are fun to build if you enjoy tinkering with stuff.

Guest SUNTZU

EasilyObsessed, is yours a bull barrel? I am going to be buying a 10/22 soon, and can't decide which one to get. I've been thinking of stainless, but don't know about the why of a bull barrel or standard.

You can get a Savage for about half that.

You can get a new Savage for a little more than half that, yes. Then you have to add the scope, mounts and all.

Alternatively one could go for the Mosin sniper version, which run about $400 all set up. Ammo is certainly cheap and plentiful.

You can get a new Savage for a little more than half that, yes. Then you have to add the scope, mounts and all.

Alternatively one could go for the Mosin sniper version, which run about $400 all set up. Ammo is certainly cheap and plentiful.

i want to talk to you about this.

Ok. Let's assume I'm going to take the route I mentioned above. Is there anyone in the Nashville/Middle Tennessee area that would be a good source for all the parts I'd need? If it's possible, I may like to deal with one person during the entire project. Again, this is in the beginning stages, so I could change my mind on that as well. I may find it to be more beneficial (price wise) to find parts via the internet.

Guest EasilyObsessed
EasilyObsessed, is yours a bull barrel? I am going to be buying a 10/22 soon, and can't decide which one to get. I've been thinking of stainless, but don't know about the why of a bull barrel or standard.

Blued Green Mountain 16" bull barrel w/ bentz chamber. Go with a fluted version if you ever plan on doing any hunting with it, the un-fluted barrel can get pretty heavy. IIRC, I got it from shootersdiscount.com. Mine is not flueted, but if I were to do it again, I would probably go with a 18" fluted from Green Mountain.

What about a Ruger mini 14? I looked at one today for $500. Is that way too much? Does anyone have an opinion of the mini 14 for what Tripledigitride and myself are looking for in a target shooting rifle? Or what about an SKS? I've already got 2 deer rifles. A Remington 742 30-06 and a marlin 30-30. But what's a fun and somewhat inexpensive target rifle?

Rabbi has a very nice Savage 10fp .308 in his shop. Can you say Accu-Trigger? I believe it was around $575 but don't quote me on that. Those rifles are known to be sub MOA accurate out of the box. If you bed the action you can get even better results. Then just add glass.

Guest atomemphis
You can easily spend that much on upgrading a 10/22 :up:

With scope, I probably have close to 700 into my 10/22. 1/4 inch groups at 25 yards with match grade ammo. 1/2 groups (discounting the occasional flyer) with CCI Mini-Mags. They are fun to build if you enjoy tinkering with stuff.

This is the truth. My 10/22 is right on up there price-wise, and is both a looker and a shooter. but once it is bought, ammo is CHEAP!