Afghanistan 2011

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sgt. Joe
As a father I explained to my son the benefits of staying out of any job or service that increased the risks.

I do not want my son to have to endure what I have as well as still do endure from my time in a war zone. He graduated Air Force basic this past week and is on his way to training for computers and software. I can't imagine a safer job for him which makes me happy as a father.

Dolomite

Yea, I certainly don't discount their service in the Air Force just because of my choice to be a grunt. He is in a safe job, stationed in Fort Walton Beach and I could not imagine the terror and sleepless nights I would have if he had followed in footsteps. My dad tells me my mom barely slept the whole time we were in the desert and we were barely shot at. My good friend lost his brother in Afghanistan this past summer, before that my friend lost his health and well being in Iraq.

When I see pictures like the original posters, I am so proud of our guys still willing to sign-up and volunteer for this duty. It makes me miss not being able to be there with them, even though my time has passed. The friendships I forged during my time in, are still strong today.....

You have both already given so much and have every right to be proud of your boys. Mine is almost 17 now and wants to join the AF too. I was the first in my family to stray away from the AF and into the Army so if he does go I hope he does go back to the family tradition. Still I dont know how well I will be able to handle it all if that is what he does.

It may well be too much to be asking but still I am always Praying that at least all of their sons can just stay home.

• 4 weeks later...