Entry level AR platforms.

IggyBcool

So I've finally got my collection going with my big guns and a couple of hand guns for WWZ. I have now picked up a 10/22 that I'm looking to finish up in the next couple of weeks so I can have a really cheap plinker and also have something to easily carry 30k rounds, which I have for .22 lol. But I'm looking to take a bigger step up in something thats still a ton of fun to shoot and also is cheap on ammo, that will still get the job done for when the zombies come.

What is a good budget setup. Right now I cant spend a whole lot of money since bills and also in nursing school. Doesn't need to have all the bells and whistles, just looking for something that is going to perform time and time again thats easy on the wallet. Once I finally have my RN, I def. want to step up and get a couple more and do one in a 5.45 and especially the .458. What can you guys recommend to me now?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rock River Arms Mid-length A4 Rifle - $725 SHIPPED - AR15.COM

That right there. Good, solid rifle. Inexpensive but its got more than just your basics. 2 stage trigger, mid-length (which is smoother and better cycling than carbine length gas system), and lightweight barrel. Some people might say build your own, but for lower end stuff, I always say its good to just get an off-the shelf model. RRA is one of the best values for the that price range. Right now, 5.56mm ammo is about $0.27-0.29/round. The other specialty calibers are going to get more expensive...you COULD get a dedicated .22lr AR15 instead if you want to go super cheap with ammo. The Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22 Smith & Wesson 25 + 1 22 LR w/16" Barrel/Collapsible Stock $411.00 SHIPS FREE is a great rifle for that.

Damn! that is a great deal!!! I'm going to check out with our local store, I remember back when I was looking for my 300rum, I just asked for ****s and giggles of what they had in an ar platform and they said they had a couple in the 600-700 range. I cant remember the name, but I'm going to swing by there tomorrow.

Are there certain brands to stay away from?

I think if you go with most major brands you'll be fine. Bushmaster, S&W, Rock River, Stag, Double Star, Sig, etc etc etc

If you're willing to drive to Knoxville, Predator Customs sells a bare bones carbine for $749. Comes with front sight gas block. All you need is a rear sight and your good to go. They make quality stuff

Sent from my Mom's basement

I've owned 4 AR15's so far, and haven't spent more than $650 on any of them. My latest is a PlumCrazy polymer lower and JSE Sales 16" upper that I have right at $500 in, including shipping, fees, and a cheap holo sight.

I was just eyeballing another forum that had a guy selling simple rifle kits sans lower for $465, shipped. Add in a Palmetto State Armory was recently selling lowers for $50 plus $7 shipping.

Point is - deals are out there if you want to look for them.

Here are a few,

Olympic Arms Plinker Plus AR-15 Rifle 5.56 NATO 30 Rounds, 16" Barrel, A1 Fixed Carry Handle -

http://www.slickguns.com/product/olympic-arms-ar-15-plinker-plus-carbine-556223-a1-sights-16-inch-barrel-643-fs

DPMS Panther 5.56 NATO Sportical Rifle - $569.99 + Free Shipping

http://www.slickguns.com/product/dpms-panther-556-nato-sportical-rifle-56999

Palmetto State Armory 16" M4 Chrome Lined, MP, Carbine - $599.95

http://www.slickguns.com/product/palmetto-state-armory-16-m4-chrome-lined-mp-carbine-59995

Del-Ton also has some deals in this range pretty regurlarly.

Edited by hkgonra
Here are a few,

Olympic Arms Plinker Plus AR-15 Rifle 5.56 NATO 30 Rounds, 16" Barrel, A1 Fixed Carry Handle -

Olympic Arms Plinker Plus AR-15 Rifle 5.56 NATO 30 Rounds, 16" Barrel, A1 Fixed Carry Handle - $559 | Slickguns

DPMS Panther 5.56 NATO Sportical Rifle - $569.99 + Free Shipping

DPMS Panther 5.56 NATO Sportical Rifle - $569.99 + Free Shipping | Slickguns

Palmetto State Armory 16" M4 Chrome Lined, MP, Carbine - $599.95

Palmetto State Armory 16" M4 Chrome Lined, MP, Carbine - $599.95 | Slickguns

Del-Ton also has some deals in this range pretty regurlarly.

Thanks for the links!

Is Del-Ton still backed up on delivery dates? Having to wait several months can suck the wind out of a good deal sometimes...

The M&P Sport looks pretty appealing to me for an entry rifle at around $625 from local dealers.

The have a very nice, 5R, barrel and the bolts are MPI tested and hardened. Those two things make it worth a lot. It has all the features of a $800+ rifle for a lot less. It is a standard AR so all parts are going to interchange and you can grow into it but the most important parts, the barel and bolt, are top shelf items.

If I were to buy a AR it would the the sport.

Dolomite

One thing about the PSA lowers you need to remember is it come out to around $87 with shipping, transfer fee and TCIS check. I own both a S&W and a PSA. They are both excellent rifles for the money. I am currently finishing up a Sabre Defense build and tricking it out.

My S&W is in a 5.45 Russian and is a blast to shoot. Even with surplus it shoots as well as my 5.56 AR's with standard ammo. The Rock River AR from Joe Bob's in a hell of a deal for a AR with all the adds. I don't want to look that add any more because of temptation. I don't need another 5.56. LOL

Be careful because they are addictive.

Guest cmchap76

I, just in the last 2 weeks, ordered a Palmetto State 20" complete upper for 424.95 including shipping, stripped Spikes Tactical lower receiver for $130 incl. tax, then the Spike's lower parts kit for $81 incl. taxes. I got lucky and got a deal on an A2 buttstock off another forum, brand new, for $50. So for my first AR build I'm in at $605.13

For 614$ shipped: is this not a good deal? Minus the stripped lower.

STAG 2H M-4 16" UPPER Complete

MI Flip-Up Rear Site,

side sling adapter,

STAG 6 POS TAC STOCK KIT,

STAG LOWER PARTS KIT.

So just add a stripped lower and you have a flat top with sights and your ready to go.

I know a few overlook Stag But I feel they are very well made.