NYC gun charges dropped. Now I can Speak

There was a case a few years back when a traveller was delayed in NYC. His bags contained a firearm and when he tried to fly out the next day he was arrested. He was passing through between two "friendly" states. If I remember correctly his bags had been lost as well so they never left he airport. He just picked them up the next day as he was checking in and was arrested when he did.

Dolomite

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm ignorant of law, but thought that there are federal laws allowing travelers to carry weapons (suitably locked up) thru commie zones?

There are as well as specifics about how to fly with a firearm - as far as I can tell, he did absolutely nothing wrong except get tangled up with the blooming idiot Michael Bloomburg and his desire to rule the U.S. from the Mayor's office of NYC.

You don't have to. Have you ever been re-routed on a flight? I have. In 2001, I was headed to Denver (where it was in the 60's), wound up in Minneapolis– with no cold weather clothes. In 2003, I left Boston headed to Nashville and got dumped off in Charlotte for a day and half a night. I had friends earlier this year traveling from West Palm Beach to Grand Rapids, MI. Delta dumped them off in Memphis on Sunday afternoon. Told them they could put them on a flight on Wednesday. Oh, and no hotel or meals in the meantime, because it was weather related–no recourse. Substitute NYC in any of those scenarios and you would have been in trouble with a gun that you had no intention of taking to NYC. Yet there you were…

My flight has been canceled several times and you can pick the next available flight but can refuse to accept one that goes to NYC.

I believe that if enough pro-handgun people boycott NYC that it would have some positive affect at least for the airlines. I also don't travel to NYC because of long delays at the airport.

As I traveled through LaGuardia that morning, I passed TSA signs telling me I had the right to check this unloaded firearm in my luggage

Obviously the real problem here is improper signage.

The signs should say something like "Please check your unloaded firearms so that you can be arrested for committing a violent felony and have your life ruined (not to mention have the right to own a firearm taken from you even in states that actually abide by the Constitution". :)

My flight has been canceled several times and you can pick the next available flight but can refuse to accept one that goes to NYC.

I believe that if enough pro-handgun people boycott NYC that it would have some positive affect at least for the airlines. I also don't travel to NYC because of long delays at the airport.

I guess you can refuse to take a flight the would put in in NYC but you can't do anything about a flight that was supposed to go there but gets diverted anyway.

As for the boycott...they don't have much of an affect on those, like the Blooming idiot, who has an agenda.

Guest buck7997

About 3 years ago I worked with 3 or 4 guys from Long Island New York. They were all good guys, avid hunters, and 2a advocates and they gave me a little education on the insanity of the NYC gun laws. Two examples that I can remeber were that when traveling from Long Island to up state to hunt they had to notify the NYP of the time and route of their trip through NYC.

Also the NYP requires all handguns registered and they must be sent to the NYP's crime lab so they fire a round through the gun to record the gun's rifling in order to keep a "finger print" of each leaglly owned handgun.

I don't understand how the people of NYC have let this get so far out of hand makes me think of events in 1938.

JG55,

Sorry to hear what you went through. I went through something similar in Illinois (Although I wasn’t facing a felony there, and I was in fact carrying a gun in my car illegally). I was contacted by the Police Department that credible threats had been made to my life because of some people I had arrested as a cop.

After three years, thousands of dollars, and my case being kicked backed to the local court from the appeals court, I made a plea deal for court supervision that showed as “Dismissed†after a year. I lost both guns, the one I was carrying illegally and a shotgun that was legally cased in the trunk. If I didn’t agree to the guns being destroyed they said we were going back to trial.

I was young and dumb and wanted to take the case “All the way to the Supreme Court!†I knew criminal law, but obviously didn’t have a clue about Constitutional law back then.

Now before you jump on me to hard saying that I was knowingly committing a crime and you weren’t; I understand that. Mine was 25 years ago; let me offer some insight that might helpful….

Don’t let this eat you up like I did for years. We have a legal system, not a justice system, and our legal system is not gun friendly…. Even in the state of Tennessee. I have to laugh anymore when I see the young hot heads talking about what you can and can’t do, and how they would fight it all the way to the SCOTUS. Like you, I was handcuffed taken to jail, booked and held for 18 hours even though I had bond money on me.

Do you still feel you are innocent until proven guilty? I knew better than that from being a cop, but being thrown in jail really makes that clear. Do you still believe you have any 2nd amendment rights? You are now a convicted criminal for doing more than having a gun, and yours wasn’t even loaded.

Did you contact the NRA? I did and they told me they don’t help people charged with criminal offenses, even when that offense is nothing more than exercising what you believe your 2nd amendment rights to be. The NRA can kiss my … well you know the rest.

Anyway… don’t let it eat you up. If you have the financial resources to try to do something… do it. But don’t expect to get much for you money. Four states recognize the 2nd amendment…. Four… and Tennessee isn’t one of them anymore than New York is.

I’ve shared my story and views here before to try to help those that think they have any rights under the 2nd amendment as far as carry or transportation; thanks for sharing yours. Having 2nd amendment rights is like being pregnant; you are or aren’t, there is no middle of the road.

Guest bkelm18
JG55,

Sorry to hear what you went through. I went through something similar in Illinois (Although I wasn’t facing a felony there, and I was in fact carrying a gun in my car illegally). I was contacted by the Police Department that credible threats had been made to my life because of some people I had arrested as a cop.

After three years, thousands of dollars, and my case being kicked backed to the local court from the appeals court, I made a plea deal for court supervision that showed as “Dismissed” after a year. I lost both guns, the one I was carrying illegally and a shotgun that was legally cased in the trunk. If I didn’t agree to the guns being destroyed they said we were going back to trial.

I was young and dumb and wanted to take the case “All the way to the Supreme Court!” I knew criminal law, but obviously didn’t have a clue about Constitutional law back then.

Now before you jump on me to hard saying that I was knowingly committing a crime and you weren’t; I understand that. Mine was 25 years ago; let me offer some insight that might helpful….

Don’t let this eat you up like I did for years. We have a legal system, not a justice system, and our legal system is not gun friendly…. Even in the state of Tennessee. I have to laugh anymore when I see the young hot heads talking about what you can and can’t do, and how they would fight it all the way to the SCOTUS. Like you, I was handcuffed taken to jail, booked and held for 18 hours even though I had bond money on me.

Do you still feel you are innocent until proven guilty? I knew better than that from being a cop, but being thrown in jail really makes that clear. Do you still believe you have any 2nd amendment rights? You are now a convicted criminal for doing more than having a gun, and yours wasn’t even loaded.

Did you contact the NRA? I did and they told me they don’t help people charged with criminal offenses, even when that offense is nothing more than exercising what you believe your 2nd amendment rights to be. The NRA can kiss my … well you know the rest.

Anyway… don’t let it eat you up. If you have the financial resources to try to do something… do it. But don’t expect to get much for you money. Four states recognize the 2nd amendment…. Four… and Tennessee isn’t one of them anymore than New York is.

I’ve shared my story and views here before to try to help those that think they have any rights under the 2nd amendment as far as carry or transportation; thanks for sharing yours. Having 2nd amendment rights is like being pregnant; you are or aren’t, there is no middle of the road.

I believe JG55 was just posting the article. It didn't happen to him.

Like I needed another reason to never visit NYC.

And alot of other cities and states I will never visit besides NYC. San Francisco, L.A., just make that the entire state of California, Chicago, New Jersey, Massivtwo****s and a few others.

Guest bkelm18
And alot of other cities and states I will never visit besides NYC. San Francisco, L.A., just make that the entire state of California, Chicago, New Jersey, Massivtwo****s and a few others.

I'm not going to let some draconian laws prevent me from seeing and enjoying my country. California is a gorgeous state. San Francisco is a very interesting city. I actually enjoyed my brief time in Chicago right after boot camp. Don't get me wrong, I love the south and don't want to live anywhere else, but there's too much to see in this world for me to worry over such things. If I can carry, I'll carry. If not, I wont. I've only got one life. :D

Exactly what part of "Do NOT take your gun to NYC" is confusing? ;)

Anyone can end up in that situation of no fault of their own according to the commie state laws. If you simply are diverted to NJ or NYC (even if that wasn't on your itinerary) you could find yourself in jail for doing nothing wrong. This isn't a matter of "don't take your guns to a commie state" if you don't have a choice.

I am originally from NYC. I had a handgun permit in NYC. You do not tell anyone you own a gun let alone several guns before you are labeled antisocial. It is well known that you do not bring any firearm into NYC without a rifle and shotgun permit or a handgun permit from NYC. Do I agree with that, no. Is Bloomberg an idiot? Yes, does that excuse ignorance of the law? Everyone has choice, don't fly. If I am traveling, I drive. I check my route and the carry laws of every place I pass. Having a carry permit entails a certain amount of responsibility. The consequence being arrest and jail, even if you beat it, was it worth the cost, time and embarrassment?

Why could you not say when picking up your baggage at La Guardia with the now illegal handgun that the airline transported the gun into their city not you and insist that TSA remove the item from your luggage before you claim it and then bill the airline for lost luggage that is the cost of the handgun?

I am originally from NYC. I had a handgun permit in NYC. You do not tell anyone you own a gun let alone several guns before you are labeled antisocial. It is well known that you do not bring any firearm into NYC without a rifle and shotgun permit or a handgun permit from NYC. Do I agree with that, no. Is Bloomberg an idiot? Yes, does that excuse ignorance of the law? Everyone has choice, don't fly. If I am traveling, I drive. I check my route and the carry laws of every place I pass. Having a carry permit entails a certain amount of responsibility. The consequence being arrest and jail, even if you beat it, was it worth the cost, time and embarrassment?

All very true except one does not always have the luxury of choices of mode of transportation - family emergency, job duties, etc...there simply are occasions when a person has to get from one place to another in a finite amount of time the require something other than driving there.

I used to love to fly but I try to avoid it at all costs today both because of the gestapo TSA as well as because of issues noted in this thread such as being diverted...I truly do believe in "states rights" but one of the actual benefits of having a federal government is to avoid issues like this and I would submit that interstate commerce/transportation (of goods AND people) is an are where the federal government has a societal duty and responsibility to be involved in so that travel laws, restrictions, etc. are uniform from state to state.

A person shouldn't have to risk being charged as a violent felon simply because his flight happens to land (especially if unscheduled) in one airport vs another one...if you are truly a felon then you are a felon but "where" you happen to be standing at the moment shouldn't be the determinant.

As a responsible gun owner and permit holder I look at it as my responsibility to do the proper research into the laws of the states that I plan to travel and know what to expect.

Even though I have never had any desire to go to NYC I do know that they are anti-gun. There have been a a few stories in the news lately of this happening and even to a TN woman who had her HCP in TN. I hope that she can also have the charges reduced and not have to spend time in the slammer.

As a responsible gun owner and permit holder I look at it as my responsibility to do the proper research into the laws of the states that I plan to travel and know what to expect.

Even though I have never had any desire to go to NYC I do know that they are anti-gun. There have been a a few stories in the news lately of this happening and even to a TN woman who had her HCP in TN. I hope that she can also have the charges reduced and not have to spend time in the slammer.

How do you research your flight being diverted to a location you had absolutely no intention of going to??? Certainly anyone planning to travel to a location has a responsibility to know the laws of that location but it would appear that because of the radical (dare I saw unconstitutional) anti-gun laws of a few locations, anyone wanting to travel with a firearm 89 apparently can't risk flying...I guess I'll never be able to do that hunt in Alaska i always wanted to do; not with my own guns anyway. :D

How do you research your flight being diverted to a location you had absolutely no intention of going to??? Certainly anyone planning to travel to a location has a responsibility to know the laws of that location but it would appear that because of the radical (dare I saw unconstitutional) anti-gun laws of a few locations, anyone wanting to travel with a firearm 89 apparently can't risk flying...I guess I'll never be able to do that hunt in Alaska i always wanted to do; not with my own guns anyway. ;)

I wonder if the airlines that you are on would assist in this? Once you know that you are being diverted and you notified the flight crew that you have a checked gun in you luggage and the new location is not gun friendly. This would be a question for someone with the airlines. Being diverted doesn't mean that you have to go site seeing around that city. You likely would never even see you checked baggage.

I guess that you can tell that I've not flown too much in my lifetime and you guys who have spent your careers in jobs requiringf extensive travel would know a lot more than I about flights being diverted. I've probably only flown 12-15 times.

Edited by Volzfan
I wonder if the airlines that you are on would assist in this? Once you know that you are being diverted and you notified the flight crew that you have a checked gun in you luggage and the new location is not gun friendly.

If I was being diverted to NYC; I don’t think I would tell anyone. I’m sure they would have some requirement that they notify TSA if someone told them they have a gun. TSA would actually have something to do, and probably be worse than dealing with real cops.

I only flew with a gun once, everything was properly declared. When I got to Orange County, CA my bag came down the carousel with a big red tag on it that said “GUNâ€. There were cops there with drug sniffing dogs going over the bags. They saw it and didn’t say a thing. However, with that tag on it I’m surprised the gun was still in it. I won’t do that anymore.

(That was prior to 911, I wouldn’t even try to check a gun through on a flight now. If I want to take a gun I’ll have it shipped to my hotel.)

Edited by DaveTN
If I was being diverted to NYC; I don’t think I would tell anyone. I’m sure they would have some requirement that they notify TSA if someone told them they have a gun. TSA would actually have something to do, and probably be worse than dealing with real cops.

I only flew with a gun once, everything was properly declared. When I got to Orange County, CA my bag came down the carousel with a big red tag on it that said “GUN”. There were cops there with drug sniffing dogs going over the bags. They saw it and didn’t say a thing. However, with that tag on it I’m surprised the gun was still in it. I won’t do that anymore.

(That was prior to 911, I wouldn’t even try to check a gun through on a flight now. If I want to take a gun I’ll have it shipped to my hotel.)

Eh, I've flown firearms at least a dozen times since 9/11. I only had an issue once when they made me open my pelican case at the counter. Other than that it's all been relatively easy. I've never had the big tag saying "gun" on it, just the note inside that said the bag was opened.

Guest buck7997

I travel once with my glock and it was a very simple and easy process. Declared it in a approved box presented it to the ticket agent to show it was unload and at that time you could not travel with ammo but I think that has changed now. No tags on the bag and the ticket agent did not even bat an eye at the fact I was checking a gun. I guess it just depends on the person and their level of comfort with firearms.

I was traveling from Maine to FL both gun friendly states.

Guest NYCrulesU

I have no empathy for anyone that takes their licensed handgun out of their state of license and into another state and gets in trouble.

I am originally from NJ/NY. I am well aware of how the "north" views guns. It is the responsibilty of the gun owner to think far enough in advance to forsee and avoid any conceivable situation. If you don't want to..or think it's too much hassle...then don't travel.

Ignorance of law is not an excuse.

I'm a bit stunned that some folks seem so willing to just lay down and say "please sir can I have another". :tinfoil:

NYC is NOT the center of the universe (although I think Mayor Blooming idiot thinks that the earth's axis runs through his ass hole)...I suppose if NYC declares that we can't "think certain thoughts" if our plane happens to land in NYC; that would be okay with some folks as well??? :rolleyes:

Edited by RobertNashville