Glock owners...?

Guest killemducks

Guest killemducks

I know that modifications to guns can be dangerous, but what are some standard mods that you have done to your Glock to make it better and not detract from the safety?

Bill

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bigbuck_tn

NY-1 Trigger spring. Increases pull by about 3 pounds but it takes away from the annoying 2 stage stacking 5.5 lb trigger.

Nite sights, although any steel sights would do. The factory sights are plastic and are too big with an annoying/distracting white outline around the rear sight, like S&W revolvers but MUCH larger.

Nothing else.

3.5 trigger...

Extended slide release (just in case im one handed in a fight)

Night Sights

Full Length all steel guide rod and spring.(Just so I wont break that flimsy thing in a hurry)

Also you can have your barrel polished and jeweled... looks great against the matte black.

Guest m4coyote

Depends upon what you want from your Glock, and which model you choose.

I have a G19, G20, and a G23. The G19 was purchased new with night sights, and is used mostly for range shooting. In it, I have installed a Lone Wolf Distributors 3.5 lb connector, a Lightning Strike steel striker with a Wolff reduced power striker spring. I also gave it a 25 cent trigger job, and modified the trigger bar to get rid of most of the annoying take up. These mods made an incredible difference in the trigger, retained all factory safety devices, and it is now much easier to score with at the range.

My G20 with night sights was a big disappointment. I purchased new, and it only fired five shots before quitting. It started giving very light primer hits, and the gun would not shoot anymore. I called Glock, and they said to send it in for warranty repair. I did some research on the model 20 and 21 and found that Glock updated the trigger bar about a year ago. The old trigger bar (part# 4256) did not pull the striker back far enough, and it did not adequately depress the striker safety plunger. The updated trigger bar (part# 4256-1) pulls the striker back further, and does depress the striker safety plunger. Sending the gun back to Glock would cost $60.00 or so for shipping and insurance, and the new trigger bar only cost $15.00. After installing the trigger bar, the G20 would then fire about 50% of the time. While firing the G20, I noticed that it was not fully returning to battery after every shot. In fact, it would fire in an out of battery state, and was on the edge of a KB! I noticed that the primer hits still looked very light, so I stripped the slide, and made sure the striker channel was clean and oil free. After being certain that there was nothing in the striker channel, I ordered the Wolff increased power striker spring, and the Wolff solid steel guide rod and 17, 19, and 22lb recoil springs. The G20 now always fully returns to battery, and functions 100%, so I am finally happy with it. I must say that most people do not have this trouble with the G20, but I just got lucky. The San Francisco Police department has had the very same trouble with their G21's, and they are the primary reason for the 4256-1 updated trigger bar.

My G23 was also purchased with night sights, and is absolutely stock. It has always functioned 100%.

Guest jackdog

G23 ghost ring sights nothing else g27 pearce mag extensions+0 that it. They both do what I want done and thats fire very when needed. Hey it's a tool for self defense,

My G-17's have Night Sights, stainless steel guide rods and heavier recoil springs. Thats all.

I use the Glock exclusively for training, either giving or taking.

They are hard to beat for an experienced defender. They are easy for a new shooter to learn and become competent with.

Periodic courses by trainers knowledgable in Glock techniques, snap cap stoppage reduction drills and range time makes one proficient.

Proper service, ammo and training make the Glock as close to foolproof as any firearm on the market.

Only if one does not have the arm and hand strength to manipulate the Glock will I recommend a revolver. Often that same person will have difficulty pulling the trigger on the revolver.

Although I am proficient with the revolver, if one is willing to commit to master the Glock, it is the superior firearm.

I have a 23 and 27. Put grip frame plugs in both, mostly for looks. Put mag extensions on the mags for the 27, a place for my little finger. Then I shot the crap out of both. Both new this year, have around 2,100 thru the 23 and 1,700 thru the 27 with half being handloads.

Butt ugly things but they work well.

Well for carry Glocks, I've put in the following...

Vickers Tactical Mag Catch (rounded edges, and medium length...feels just right)

Backstrap Channel Plug (keeps grime from getting into your trigger mechanism)

Glock Extended Slide Release (an absolute must for me)

Ameriglo Operator Night Sights (small yellow rear and big green front)

I keep waiting for an excuse to put in a steel guide rod but the stock ones just wont break on me. As for the trigger, I keep mine stock...your gonna get good at whatever you practice with anyway. For a carry gun Im not going to touch the trigger. Its plenty light enough stock...and I see that annoying uptake as a good thing in a carry gun...considering the reset is extremely small in glocks...your only going to deal with that uptake on the first shot anyway. I shoot factory rounds only, so my barrel will remain stock.

Guest killemducks

Thanks for all the input folks. I think I will update my sights and see about the mag. release and slide lock mods too.

on a different subject. Are there any legal ramifications after shooting someone with a gun that has had the trigger altered to make it lighter?? I mean if you mean to shoot someone, you mean to shoot someone (in self defense of course). But I just wonder if altering the factory trigger could come back to haunt you. ?

I think I will leave my trigger alone. The two stage trigger doesn't bother me.

Bill

Guest mikedwood
Like the Crimson Trace laser?

I do like it alot. No issues with it yet other than trying to figure out how I want to sight it. I have it sighted at 7 and 15 yards, but it's way off at 25. Next chance I get I'm going to sight it parallel and I think that will work all the way from 7 through 25 yards and farther. Will make it about 3/4" off all the way through, but that's close enough for me.

As for the lighter trigger, I think it might matter if you went to court. Even if justified completely you could wind up in civil court. I heard my local PD has an 8 pound pull on their triggers, so if they fire they dang sure meant to. Anything a lawyer can latch onto and make it sound good for his point he will.

For instance, and I wish I could remember the link, hope I'm right on this. Anyway a permit holder shot and killed a guy, police said yep he should have and didn't press charges, The family sued the permit holder in civil court. It came up during trail that the guy didn't carry much, but that day he was going to a part of town where he thought he needed to carry. He did. An attempt at robbery or a car jacking was made and he fired, wounded or killed the bad guy.

The plaintiff's lawyer won the case by convincing the jury that the reason the guy carried that day was so he could shoot someone of a different racial persuasion.

All I'm saying is if something bad happens and you are forced to use deadly force, everything you have done will be under a microscope, picked apart and given angles you would have never dreamed of.

I have heard it's also best to use the same ammo your local PD uses, or they might say "He did in fact use, Hyrda shok ammunition, a specific bullet useful for nothing more than killing another human." Try Golddot in that same sentance and I don't think it has the same impact. If your local PD uses Hydra-shok then your lawyer has a good counter I think.

Opps sorry to go on and on.