How many F.& A. Masons on here.

Verne

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to say MemphisMason has put it better then I ever have.

As for attendance, Hartsville lodge is a small old lodge. On stated meeting night we have around 8 or 10 people there. Total on the rolls is only around 70.

But any Brother I know would do almost any to help some one. Mason or not.

We like to say "We make a Good man better". There is so much history behind it which fascinates me. While researching some of my family members that were Masons I found the lodge they belonged to in Indiana is Lodge number 1 and was a Lodge before Indiana was a state just a territory. The history there is vast.

I am also a member of the Scottish Rite but no the Shrine. I have worked the paper sale every year since I was fourteen but one. Some day I will go through the Shrine but for now I have to much going on to commit to it but I will still work the paper sale every year. My two best friends were who got me involved. It was a great experience. My best friend, who pasted away the year after he was master, was the youngest Master of a lodge at the age of 25. A great man, friend and mason was lost in him. A have watched more than once this man remove his short and give to some one. He is one reason I am so active in it.

Bro. Verne Deckard

Thanks Verne for your kind words.

I didn't even get into the history and I am glad you mentioned that part of it.

I was asked once before what Freemasonry was, what Freemasons do, and why at such a young age I am a part of this Fraternity. And in I knew the reasons, but I didn't have the words for it, and I decided, that was the last time I was going to be speechless when those questions were asked. I hope what I said has explained enough. It is how I perceive the Order.

Being a Mason, comes from the heart, there are many people out there who have the qualities to be a fine Mason, they just never knock. I decided to knock one day, and I believe it was a good choice, and I want to be able to give a good reason why, because someone might find light from my words.

It wa a joy for me when I was raised the year my first cousin was Master. I was Intiated 4-21-2006, Passed - 5-26-2006, and Raised - 6-30-2006, and went straight to the Junior Deacon's seat, (he was absent for the whole year due to work). From there, I have never looked back.

Well I will be checking the boards latter, I am off to the lodge. We have an EA Degree tonight, and I need to go prepare for giving the charge. I love working in the First Degree, because that is the new brothers first glimpse into what Masonry has to offer.

Good grief. I go away in the morning and when I return the board's bandwidth is devoted to the Masons. :D

I have a Masonic ring. It came from some ancestor/relative. I'm not one, although I have been very politely informed repeatedly that if I was interested, I'd be welcome. I have enough stuff going in my life, even at my age, that I don't choose to learn some mystic catechism to prove I am worthy.

I have nothing against Masonic stuff. I have a number of friends who are into it. They do some good things. If you have time for side activities like this, go for it. Just don't let it become your life.

Well if all the meetings go on during the week at night at most lodge's then i guess i'll have to wait till one day when i can finally be on a day shift job.

2nd shift suck's with having kids that hardly see you when school's in during the week and for doing anything that would be fun and rewarding like the above.

Good grief. I go away in the morning and when I return the board's bandwidth is devoted to the Masons. :blush:

I have a Masonic ring. It came from some ancestor/relative. I'm not one, although I have been very politely informed repeatedly that if I was interested, I'd be welcome. I have enough stuff going in my life, even at my age, that I don't choose to learn some mystic catechism to prove I am worthy.

I have nothing against Masonic stuff. I have a number of friends who are into it. They do some good things. If you have time for side activities like this, go for it. Just don't let it become your life.

It seems like there is a little hostility in your words, and I hate you feel that way.

The work a person commits to memory is a way of proceeding through the degrees, just as any fraternity, job, group, club, etc. to raise in "rank" something is required. It is not hard at all, and it proves no one worthy of anything other than advance to the next degree in Freemasonry.

Maybe telling people not to let something become their life, is good, but Masonry doesn't become your life, Your Life becomes Masonic. Guns are a big part of my life, also God, Family, and Masonry. We are a brotherhood bound by duty and honor.

No ill will meant, just wanted to let you know that I am sorry for whatever cause the bad taste for Masonry is in your mouth. It sounds like you know of someone who lives, breathes, eats, and sleeps Masonry, and if that is their cup of tea, and it is not causing anyone else any harm, the So Mote it be. But sometimes people do take things to the extreme, and can put Masonry ahead of their other duties, this is wrong, and this person should be spoken to about it.

Whenit becomes Deer Season mt life becomes Deer hunting, and in the off season it is Masonry, but hell, I still sit in the woods and study.

If you have any questions you would like to have answered on more of a personal level, shoot me a pm.

It seems like there is a little hostility in your words, and I hate you feel that way.

I didn't mean any particular hostility toward Masons. I thought my post made that clear. Sorry you took it that way. In my experience, membership in a lot of groups does take over people's lives. I have witnessed that in some of my Mason friends. It seems that is all they want to talk about. The same can be said for some of my friends in Sons of Confederate Veterans and some in VFW. Most people on the outside of all fraternal groups see membership as pretty unimportant, if not silly. Members tend to take a different view.

I do think any kind of catechism is a bit silly, but that is part of some fraternal organizations. I am a firm believer in, and have eschewed since reading and agreeing with, Bertrand Russell's comment that creeds are the enemy of intelligence - no matter what that creed may be. That's why I'm not a member of any of any fraternal group now. But I have, in the past been a member of other fraternal organizations that did not require demonstration of some "special" knowledge to achieve a "degree."

I tend to be an adherent of the concept that everyone is equal until they demonstrate that they are not. But I don't have a problem with people who want to join groups that have other rules for social purposes.

When it comes to organizations that award higher positions for additional knowledge and ability, I prefer the military, there those awards (rank) generally actually indicate useful knowledge.

I guess if there was to be any hostility, which again there isn't, it would be toward members of any group who think membership somehow makes them special.

Churchlady02.jpg

Guest Jason F.

My Father in Law is the head of the Scottish Rite for Tennessee, not sure what the actual title is. He has extended an open invitation to me and his other son in law and offered to answer any questions about it if we asked. He left it at that and never made any point of bringing it up again. I can respect that. He certainly has a life outside of all of that and despite his high level in the organization it certainly does not rule his life.

I will say the entire family went to one of the larger events open to all family members when he was leading some meeting or being recognized for something and it was a pleasant experience. It was long enough ago that I do not remember the details but it was at the main lodge or whatever here in Nashville. It certainly seemed like a very supportive brotherhood but it is certainly not for me.

Mars I will have to refrain from going any farther in this converstaion. You can say there is no hostilty but I sense otherwise. You seem to think that you are "above" being a Mason, and you are entitled to that stance. Our Freemason Forefathers and other great men, made sure of that right.

I would hate to type anything in anger as a response to a "Super Moderator" for the TGO Boards. Mason may control the world, but we don't control the TGO boards. Say that is a nice "rank" you have their, military I assume.

Anymore that I would say in response to your statements would be coming from me with a little fire in my heart, and that is not right. Sometimes quotation marks around a word, seem to mock, instead of referring to a quote, and that is what i think you have done.

If Freemasonry is something that you feel is not right for you, then So Mote it Be.

Edited by memphismason
Guest atomemphis
This is a fraternal organization? Don't we have some sisters in here too?

And I don't think I have to know any mystic secrets to be here - do I? Damn, I should have read the contract before signing. :)

Turns out there are many 'sororities' that are actually fraternities based on their chartering. As in, all female fraternities.

I didn't mean for this to turn in to a debate if someone should get involved or not. I now people on both sides who are very devout on their stand and I have no problem with that. I don't care a bit for nascar, would rather have dental work done, but have several friends who live and breath it. That is what is great about this country, Freedom of Choice. Masonry is not for everyone. Things inside Masonry are not always for your regular Blue Lodge Masons.

On a side note, If we controlled the world I would have a better interest on my l loans and a better job but having a say in the weather is nice. LOL

Thank you,

Verne

• 2 years later...