any quitters here?

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way to go Daniel,

heck if my quitting encouraged you to do it I feel even better about my quitting.

You are awesome dude. You have it beat. from now on it is just about mental toughness and saying no.

I made a month last night, it gets easier to stick with it every day now.

I even had some beers the last couple of nights and I did not get any strange urges to go and smoke.

I really believe that I am done with them. Can't predict the future but I don't see myself smoking again.

Get this. My bosses Dad has an office in our facility. Dunno why, I gues it is a courtesy for the old fart. Family stuff anyway and I really do not care. The guy is a geaser, 80 some odd years old. He smokes. Like three times a day. The lady in the office has quit smoking too. The is about one week behind me. But she is doing great too. Cold turkey for her as well as me. So yesterday the old dude is asking her how it is going. She says just fine, three weeks no smoking. He actually said that you can't quit cold turkey. The way to quit is to keep on smoking a few times a day, then you can be done with it. I about choked. ( hmmm, the way to quit is to keep on smoking, LOL. ) Apparently he as been smoking for 60 some years but I have heard him tell people he does not smoke. He does not count his three a day as still smoking.

Guest Disney

WTG Mike!!!! I knew you could do it!

One month was the mark for me. After that the urges really dies down fast. It was no longer daily routine to pick up a pack and light up. I could eat, drink, walk, and drive without thinking about smoking anymore.

Keep up the good work!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TargetShooter84

Hang in there man, I used to smoke in high school but cold turkey quit right after I left HS, and havent touched any since.

If the lil blue engine can do it, you can do it! :slap:

• 3 weeks later...
over two months and no cigarettes for me!!

I deserve a reward

Yes you do and at $3.50 a pack, a pack a day (assuming) That's over $200.00 towards your next firearm purchase (or a tank of gas).

Congrats Mike, "you have done well grasshopper".

I had been promising my wife I would quit when I had a reason, health and money were not good enough. She kept asking when and I told her I didn't have a good enough reason. Then Feburary 12th she sent me a pic on my phone and gave me all the reason I needed, and he will be here September 14th (give or take a day). So that makes almost 4 months for me. Oh, and I went cold turkey, too.

at $3.50 a pack, a pack a day (assuming) That's over $200.00 towards your next firearm purchase

well, its really just 200 less dollars in the hole on recent firearm purchases, LOL.

Way to go Pops. Sounds like you had great motivation.

And cold turkey is the only way to do this.

Guest ordonnanzgewehr

Way to go Mike! Cold turkey is the only way! You got rid of all the smoking related items, good. Go it a day at a time. If tempted go minute by minute if need be. Realize that you've come this far and that the demon tobacco has no more hold over you. Don't give up your hard earned freedom from addiction. The longer you hold the better it gets. I know you can do it, I quit over christmas/newyears.

Best Regards, Ordy

Guest ColdEspresso

I quit the cigs 10 years ago and I had to quit the cigars a couple ago... Both cold turkey! I was bummed because I used to open carry my Camels...

Congrats...You are stronger than the habit......

Guest tlondon

I quit around april 4 1998. There is still times when a small craving hits but I havent given in. I know its hard to quit but hang in there...

Guest Wilson1

It has been only 2 1/2 weeks for me since I have smoked - used Chantix prescribed to me by my cardiologist. Stopped smoking the day I started the Chantix, even though it states you can continue smoking the first week. I really hope this works long term. Costs about the price of a pack of cigarettes a day would. Roughly $100.00 for a months supply.

Here is a helpful website from WebMD that discusses Nicotine Replacement Therapy. Nicotine is a powerful drug, so in stopping smoking, you are having to stop:

1. A long term habit

2. Withdrawal from a drug

Research has shown that those who stop smoking using NRT usually double their ability to quit for good.

http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/nicotine-replacement-therapy-for-quitting-tobacco

Good luck, all

I quit some years ago for a while and used a nicotrol inhaler. it was easy enough to hit on the inhaler rather than light up a smoke. But within a week or two of quitting the inhaler I was back on smokes.

I really do believe I have it beat this time.

The biggest thing I credit to succes this time around was spending a couple of weeks before the quit date working on simply breaking the habit of when I lit up. I was still smoking but no smokes right after meals, no smokes in the car, no smokes when taking a break at work. I quit drinking as well. It really helped when the quit date started.

Now I am as big a beer hound as ever but I really do not associate cigs with the beer anymore. And the beer does not make me fiend for a smoke.

But everyone has to do what works for them.

Really it is very easy to stop. Just do not have the next smoke!

• 3 weeks later...

so I am pushing 3 months now and I am having some serious cigarette cravings. The last couple of days it has been on my mind a lot.

I wonder if it is my body ratcheting up the withdrawel a little since so much time has gone by.

I feel very vulnerable to caving in now. Scared to even go out to get lunch, LOL.

Guest db99wj

:startenthusiasticvoice:Keep it up, get a piece of gum, get a piece of candy, get something as a reward for you going this long. Hell, dump work and go shoot something but don't smoke it. You can do it! :endenthusiasticvoice:

Guest abailey362

i've been stopped completely for 4 weeks now. used chantix since it was free through work. took about 2 weeks on it before I quit completely.feel much better....only gained 5 lbs.....well worth it. and i've saved about 300 bux so far