any quitters here?

Guest db99wj

When someone comes in from outside and had smoked a cig, they stink to high hell, but I will be outside and everyonce in awhile, somebody will be smoking one and they smell glorious! But that has gotten better.. It just takes time.

Fishing, the last year or so I have done more with my kids, so It hasn't been so bad (I am the one putting bait on, pulling fish off, untangling fishing line, etc), but I plan on doing some fishing on my own....that is going to be tuff, might be a good time for a cigar. Dang I want to go fishin'.

Hang in their, it is tuff but it gets better, you can do it.,

Edited by db99wj
  • Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have to keep telling myself that I am not getting sick, but rather I am getting well.

Mike continue to tell yourself that because it is true, your body is trying to purge itself. Just think, what you are experiencing was caused by that stupid cig in the first place so get mad and get even! Don't let the addiction win. You've went a week without now so don't pick one up, you have it whipped!

To stop picking one up I continued to tell myself that I was ONE cigerette away from starting again and I continue to hold to that. I will not pick up that one cigerette. All of us have been where you are and we did it so you and your wife can too.

Guest Disney

Well MIke, I think if you've made it this far without one, then you should be home free! Every day that goes by, it will get easier. At this point, I wold get mad at myself for even thinking about picking one up. I had quit the same day as my girlfriend and by the one week mark she had started back already and That only served to strengthen my resolve to stay on the wagon.

You can do it man!!! It's mind over matter!!

It seems to be getting a little easier. Today was not bad at all. Maybe one time about 6:30 pm at work I thought for a nano second that a smoke would be nice. Of course the urge hit me when I was done for the day and that typically was a time for a smoke, just before locking up and leaving. But eh, i did not really want it. Was just and old habit trying to suck me back in.

The quitters flu seems to be easing up a bit too. That is a relief.

Well it has been one week since my last smoke.

I am experiencing all the symptons of major nicotine withdrawal. I feel like I am getting the flu, I am depressed, mad, tired, irritable, restless, and probably a half dozen others that I cannot list right now.

I tell you one other thing. I have had some wild crazy dreams the last few nights. I can't recall details (yall know how that is) but I wake up in the middle of the night either in a cold sweat or in a euphoric state. And that is all in the same night.

One whole week, cold turkey. A week ago I would have given myself about less than half a chance of getting this far. If I can make it one more week I will feel real good about my chances of making it all the way.

I keep telling myself ( and I believe this to be very true) that what I am experiencing is nicotine fighting like hell to get back in my system. Almost like I am possessed or something. Every day I make it without smoking is one day closer to freedom.

I also have to keep telling myself that I am not getting sick, but rather I am getting well.

It seems to be getting a little easier. Today was not bad at all. Maybe one time about 6:30 pm at work I thought for a nano second that a smoke would be nice. Of course the urge hit me when I was done for the day and that typically was a time for a smoke, just before locking up and leaving. But eh, i did not really want it. Was just and old habit trying to suck me back in.

The quitters flu seems to be easing up a bit too. That is a relief.

You've gone far enough to where you never HAVE to look back. Your body has purged most of the crap out of your system (I say most cause in about 30 days you will start hacking up some more crap). I've been quit since 92 and there are times when I smell one that smells "good" I think for just a split second "that smells good", then there are the other times when someone walks by me smoking and the smell makes me want to puke, actually have gagged a few times.

Reward yourself on your 30 day anniversary and have your car (or what ever you drive the most) cleaned and detailed, you know to get the smoke smell out, it will make your drive to work eaisernot to have to smell it and make your mind play tricks on you.

Supposedly, the nicotine is gone after about five days. I haven't researched it.

So the problem is psychological?

Most sources say three days and the nicotine is gone but I have real doubts.

There is definitely a psychological addiction. I mean basically for 35 years cigarettes have always been there for me. Now I am shunning them. They are pissed off at me and fighting back. It has been hard since getting home today, while at work it was not hard at all. Kind of funny that way as I ran a route today and I used to smoke like a fiend while on the route. I would light up a ciggy after every stop. Well sometimes there are 20 to 30 deliveries. But no cravings while in the truck today.

I think Friday afternoon was hard today because in the smoking days I would be having beers and chaining them up after work.

I believe my body knows today is Friday.

I quit smoking in 1969 before Nam and well before quitting my government job (temporarily) after getting wounded twice and coming entirely too close to dieing in the process. The following summer, I was back in college. Being basically aimless, I ended up working in a drive-in restaurant on the beach in Nags Head, NC but living in Manteo. At the end of the summer, I decided to stay over to have some fun. I met a girl and we had a lot of fun for a week. You can fill in the gaps.... :) That was a big deal back then. :)

She smoked and so did I - for that week. I just wore a jock strap, if that, under my shorts and she didn't. I have very fond memories of that week in the surf and sand. I'm sure there is a syrupy movie in this. :P

The trick is control. Sex tends to take control over smoking. Just believe me. .:rolleyes:

Just stop smoking again after that.

If you are married, allowing sex to be less important should be natural. :cool:

Mike good luck. Watch that gum stuff, I am not so sure it is helpful. But if it works for you then I say HOORAY!!

I also say smoke em up today and try to make them last until you normally stop smoking for the night. Then get rid of ashtrays and lighters and stuff too. At least out of sight. Once morning comes you will be 8 hours give or take into being off them.