All hooked up

Guest Spurhunter

Old post rehash. 

Finally got my test done the first week of November, diagnosed with mild apnea. (12-15 episodes per hour)

Prescribed a CPAP of course, and I struggled horribly with using it for a month. I would honestly rather take a beating to fall asleep each night than use this thing. I've tried multiple attachments and nothing is working. I get about 1/4 of the sleep i used to get and I wake up constantly all night. I'm frustrated that I've heard so many people talk about how wonderful a nights sleep they get with a machine and id sleep better than I ever have. 

I didnt use it the second month and then had my next appointment with doc, he suggested turning down the volume some, I tried a couple more night, still sucks. Not sure where to go from here. 

Guest Lester Weevils

Maybe I already said this earlier in the thread-- For years I had good luck with the "nasal pillows" headgear that fit the nose only. But the last few years got to where my mouth would flop open in deep sleep, causing the nose-only connection to not work at all, and I'd wake up gasping with a mouth dry as the sahara desert.

So started using a chin strap to keep the mouth closed, but the strap didn't work that great, and finally went with a mask that fits over mouth and nose. But I still have to use the chin strap, because even though an open mouth during sleep doesn't sabotage the nose-and-mouth mask, one still gets such a dry mouth, not only is it uncomfortable but its bad for the teeth to get that dry for that long.

So anyway, one good design for a chin strap leverages the chin itself, but I found that adjusting the strap so it fits under the jaw, behind the chin, helps eliminate one cause of my apnea. When the mouth flops open the jaw drops back and closes off the airway. With the strap set farther back, behind the chin, it keeps the jaw from "dropping back" and also keeps the mouth mostly closed during sleep.

You could ask your doctor if melatonin or a small dose of 5-HTP right at bedtime might make you more likely to sleep longer. There are prescription drugs for that as well, but not many are effective to encourage "deep sleep" which people need some of. OTOH, dunno if melatonin and 5-HTP are especially effective either. I've been playing with melatonin and 5-HTP lately and it seems to enhance sleep some. Ambien is one of the rx drugs that is supposed to encourage "deep sleep". I had a scrip for Ambien 10 years ago because I just can't sleep in hotel rooms, and would take the ambien when on rare business trips. Ambien is pretty gentle as such things go, but I generally try to avoid such things.

I've been fortunate to be able to get by with only the nasal pillows. And I haven't had any problems with my mouth coming open at night. I forgot my machine on vacation last year and was able to borrow a relative's old machine they didn't use anymore. However, they only had the mask that goes over your nose and has that wierd forehead pad and I just ended up ripping it off it was so awkward and uncomfortable. What type of mask are you using? If it's not the nasal pillows I'd definitely see if the doc could get you some. I don't even notice them anymore. Oh and if the hose gets in your way or feels like it's tugging on your mask, I pull up a little slack onto the bed with me and tuck it under my arm facing the side of the bed. That keeps the tension off the mask. Glad to hear that you went to the doctor though. Many people don't and end up losing a lot of sleep or even their health because of it. Please please please stick with it. You'll feel better for it.

Edited by gnmwilliams
Guest Lester Weevils

Yep I think the nasal pillows are the best/most comfortable if one doesn't have open mouth problems. I went for years before the mouth started flopping open in deep sleep.

Something I've notcied too with the nasal pillows is that they make a tight enough seal on my nostrils that it seems to create a vaccuum in my mouth. It takes a good little bit of force to acutally open my mouth when the pillows are seated nice and snug. Now once I actually open my mouth, it's a very weird and noisy experience. The air is forced non-stop out of my mouth and I can't even form words to talk. I've even thought about trying to blow up a baloon without using my lungs but I'm too scared of blowing out my sinuses so I don't think I'll try that. Oh and if you're the type that likes to sleep with the covers over your head but don't because it gets too stuffy, this is the machine for you! The tube feeds you fresh air from outside the blankets so you can stay under as long as you want. Oh and if the "dog" pulls a dutch oven on you, you no longer have to vacate the area until the fumes clear. :)

Edited by gnmwilliams

No one take offense to this, but are y'all with apnea overweight? I had it when I was overweight and when I lost all of my weight the apnea went away. Just food for thought.

Nope.  I'm perfectly fit thank you! Perhaps even underweight

• 4 months later...
Guest Spurhunter

Well after suffering for months trying to use the CPAP, I gave up. I got about an hour of poor sleep per night using it so Im back to sleeping obliviously. Not sure what my next step is going to be.  Thanks for all the advice guys!

Guest TankerHC

Started using a cpap 3 years ago. Stopped, couldnt sleep with the mask on. Then I found out the problem(s). My cmH20 was going all the time at 5. The Doctor has set it at 4 and 5 for different sleep situations. Then I had the problem which someone mentioned above, timing "In and out breathing". I would get tired of it and pull off the mask and sleep the rest of the night without it, until I found out that I was doing it wrong, the cpap, I have a Resperonics, has a regulator built into it. If I wear it long enough, about 10 minutes, it regulates the air as I breath in and out. Next week Ill be switching masks. Cannot stand the complete face cover, tube on top of head,  and all the straps (I wake up in the morning and first thing I think is "Your liver....would go well with a good chianti and fava beans". (Some here who wear them know what I mean, thats how that thing feels). I'm going with the Optilife.

This one

http://www.healthcare.philips.com/us_en/homehealth/sleep/optilife/default.wpd

Started using a cpap 3 years ago. Stopped, couldnt sleep with the mask on. Then I found out the problem(s). My cmH20 was going all the time at 5. The Doctor has set it at 4 and 5 for different sleep situations. Then I had the problem which someone mentioned above, timing "In and out breathing". I would get tired of it and pull off the mask and sleep the rest of the night without it, until I found out that I was doing it wrong, the cpap, I have a Resperonics, has a regulator built into it. If I wear it long enough, about 10 minutes, it regulates the air as I breath in and out. Next week Ill be switching masks. Cannot stand the complete face cover, tube on top of head,  and all the straps (I wake up in the morning and first thing I think is "Your liver....would go well with a good chianti and fava beans". (Some here who wear them know what I mean, thats how that thing feels). I'm going with the Optilife.

This one

http://www.healthcare.philips.com/us_en/homehealth/sleep/optilife/default.wpd

I can't wear the face cover either. I have to have the nasal pillows. And yes, I know to what you referring and I agree! :)

Machines work, no matter what brand I think and humidifiers are a must for me....the important part is the mask.I've tried many masks over the past 10 years. The Mirage Vista is all I use now.  It' works great for me and I use mine 100% of the time. Even for a nap. I've taken my machine all over the country just as others have stated.  It's the first thing I pack and check to see that it's all there.

By the way.  Sleep Apnea is what killed Reggie White.  Untreated and it will shorten your life considerably. Not to mention make your life completely miserable. I was lucky I guess but I slept like a baby from the first night I got my machine.  I love it.  I fall right to sleep and sleep all night long.  No snoring. No waking up with a mouth and tongue so dry they would rattle against each other....LOL

[url=http://s1179.photobucket.com/user/Randallg53/media/miragevista.jpg.html]miragevista.jpg[/URL]

Edited by Randall53