And another parking lot bill! SB3451(Southerland)/HB3660 (D Miller)

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/107/Bill/SB3451.pdf

Prevents employer from prohibiting possession by employee in their privately owned vehicle (gun out of sight, vehicle locked, regular working hrs for employee) unless:

"..an employer has designated an employee only parking lot that contains all of the following features:

(A) A wall, fence or some physical barrier that prevents unauthorized access by non-employee vehicles;

(
B)
A guard or other security personnel who checks all vehicles entering the parking area for proper identification or credentials;

© A policy or regulation that permits vehicle searches that is applicable to all vehicles entering the parking area and that is applied on a uniform and frequent basis; and

(D) A notice or sigh is conspicuously posted at all entrances to the parking area informing that it is;

(i) An “Employee Only Parking Areaâ€;

(ii) Firearms are prohibited on the premises pursuant to § 39-17-1359; and

(iii) All vehicles in the parking area are subject to being searched.

Gonna need a scorecard pretty soon. Again, this one reeks of big business capitulation (almost typed "copulation", which may not have been that far off the mark, I guess). While this one is more palatable than the Campfield/Evans POS, I'm still favoring the Faulk/Bass bills.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if what you posted is what I've been made aware of but I believe there are two separate bills (that do separate things) in the senate and companion bills introduced in the house; at least, that's according to the NRALA alerts I've received...at least according to one person I trust, they are pretty good bills (I haven't had a chance to read them myself yet).

Tennessee: NRA-Drafted Employee Protection

Legislation Introduced

House Sponsors Still Needed for Companion Bills – Please Contact Your

State Representative Today

The 2012 Session of the Tennessee General Assembly is underway. On January 25, Senate Bill 3002 and Senate Bill 2992 were introduced by state Senator Mike Faulk (R-4). These NRA-drafted bills would prevent employers from discriminating and enforcing policies against the storage of lawfully-owned firearms in employees' locked private motor vehicles parked at work.

SB 3002 would recognize that hard-working Tennesseans’ right to self-defense does not end when they drive onto their employer’s property or into publicly accessible parking lots. It will allow firearms to be stored out of sight in a locked vehicle. SB 2992 is a Firearm Discrimination Prevention bill that would protect law-abiding gun owners from anti-gun policies by employers across the state, including forced firearm registration, random vehicle firearm searches, and “gun zone” parking lots for gun owning employees. SB 2992 coincides with SB 3002.

Edited by RobertNashville

The ones you are referring to are SB 2992 and 3002 by Faulk (and their House counterparts by Bass). There's another thread for those two. This Southerland/Miller bill differs substantially from Faulk/Bass. Personally, I believe Faulk/Bass are much better bills...but I fear that we're gonna see the same dynamic as in the Evans-led trainwreck last session, and either Southerland/Miller or a very similar bill by Campfield/Evans will be the survivor to the floor...if anything survives to the floor.

I could stand behind this one.

Although they are all useless (you can still be fired for anything or nothing at all), it provides employers an option to retain their property rights by "opting out" by providing safe parking.

It's not the parking lot I'm worried about....it's the drive to and from work.

OH YES, this has big business written ALL over it. I could almost take a good guess at whose lobbiest had a hand in writing this. In looking at the list of requirements that exempt a lot makes me ask about lots that meet ALL the requirements but ONE, requirement (;). The lot that doesn't have a living person but rather a card reader to read ID cards to open a gate according to this would allow you to keep your firearm in your car.

It doesn't really matter, this bill has to die an agonizing death.

(© A policy or regulation that permits vehicle searches that is applicable to all vehicles entering the parking area and that is applied on a uniform and frequent basis;

So not only does it approve vehicle searches; it requires them. ;)

...It doesn't really matter, this bill has to die an agonizing death.

Actually; given the current "Republican" leadership, the chance of any firearms related bill (good, bad or otherwise) making it to the floor for an up/down vote in either chamber is almost nil. The only way we'll see improvement for the firearms community in Tennessee this year is if supporters of a bill burn up the phone lines of all the senate/house members.

Actually; given the current "Republican" leadership, the chance of any firearms related bill (good, bad or otherwise) making it to the floor for an up/down vote in either chamber is almost nil. The only way we'll see improvement for the firearms community in Tennessee this year is if supporters of a bill burn up the phone lines of all the senate/house members.

Robert, you are correct in that it will require a lot of effort, from a lot of people to get the RIGHT Bill into consideration.

I suggest those who advocate for the ability of the Citizen to provide for their own safety and security, unite behind the NRA written and sponsored SB 3002 ( along with it's sister SB 2992).

If we provide enough documentation showing support from more than 50% of the Legislators in each house for these Bills as written, there is a good chance that those who are opposed will at least have to allow the up/down vote, or, face the consequences of showing for all to see their intent to rule, not serve.

How is that your employer's problem?

Didn't say it was....but how is it a problem for them if I have a lawful firearm locked in my vehicle, that is not removed from my vehicle, when it is parked in a place that they designated for me to park my vehicle?

Didn't say it was....but how is it a problem for them if I have a lawful firearm locked in my vehicle, that is not removed from my vehicle, when it is parked in a place that they designated for me to park my vehicle?

How is it a problem if you don't wanna wear a shirt in a retail business? "No shirt - no business" is no different then "have gun - no admittance".

It's their property, it's their rules. Removing their rights for your convenience is selfish. If you don't wanna follow their rules, don't park in their parking lot. If you can't park anywhere else, get a friend or spouse to drive you. Don't have anyone to drive you, get another job.

Do no plan on getting into the debate again. Just wanted to say that I could support this bill. Have fun ;)

How is it a problem if you don't wanna wear a shirt in a retail business? "No shirt - no business" is no different then "have gun - no admittance".

It's their property, it's their rules. Removing their rights for your convenience is selfish. If you don't wanna follow their rules, don't park in their parking lot. If you can't park anywhere else, get a friend or spouse to drive you. Don't have anyone to drive you, get another job.

Do no plan on getting into the debate again. Just wanted to say that I could support this bill. Have fun ;)

I guess I just want to join the bandwagon...the goverment already forces property owners to do or not do things, allow or not allow things. (Won't get into the whole long list)

Maybe if I ever start a business I will buy a bunch of 8-tracks then forbid employees from having CD or cassette players in their cars. :P Might even go so far as to say they can't have blue carpeting as I prefer red. Hmmm...since I really like trucks instead of cars, maybe I will only let them park pickups in my parking lot...that is assuming they have an 8-track and red carpet.

It's not the parking lot I'm worried about....it's the drive to and from work.

^^ THIS EXACTLY^^

My car sits untouched for 9 hours (with or without a gun in it) while I'm relatively safe inside the building with security downstairs.

The commute to and from and during any stops I need to make to/from are my concerns. Rules like "no guns in parked cars" are seldom known until you're already hired.

It's just easier to keep to myself, stow my protection under the seat in a lockbox, and nobody will ever, ever find out. If requested to be searched, I can refuse "on principal" and find another job.

...Rules like "no guns in parked cars" are seldom known until you're already hired.

Unless you ask in an interview you'll almost never know company policy until after you've accepted the position and even asking might mean the offer doesn't come at all. Yet, sometimes it's even worse than that...

Nissan, after some 20 years of having no problem with firearms in vehicles in their parking lots, suddenly did a 180 a few years ago (about 2005 or so I think) and forbid, as a matter of policy, all firearms on their property including in employee vehicles. Lot's of guys would go hunting after work, skeet shooting or just to the range, etc. and had been for a couple of decades and suddenly, a total policy change. In that situation, "finding another job" isn't a very good option when it means you may lose years of retirement pay (or wind up not qualifying for any retirement pay at all).

Yeah, asking if you can bring a gun to work would go over about as well as asking about the drug testing policy.

That really sucks about Nissan. In all the 20 years were there any incidents that led to the new policy? I'm guessing not, probably some corner office type decided to "upgrade" for the sake of political corectness or some perceived liability.

Yeah, asking if you can bring a gun to work would go over about as well as asking about the drug testing policy.

That really sucks about Nissan. In all the 20 years were there any incidents that led to the new policy? I'm guessing not, probably some corner office type decided to "upgrade" for the sake of political corectness or some perceived liability.

In all the years I was there I never heard of a single incident; doesn't mean there never was one but I think I'd have heard if that had been. Anyway, no explanation was ever given and on the couple of occasions that I asked I god dirty looks for even asking. I always assumed it might have had some relation to the headquarters moving from Los Angeles to Franklin since the change in policy happened at "roughly" the same time but that's just a guess.

I sucked it up, followed the rules and just recently retired from Nissan and I now have my retirement pay plus a better job with better pay at an employer who doesn't restrict my ability to provide for my own protection on to/from my office. :poop:

Removing their rights for your convenience is selfish.

Convenience? CONVENIENCE??!! How is the ability to be equipped to defend one's life against violent attack a 'convenience'? It is not. Rather it is a natural right.

How is that your employer's problem?

Yeah, I guess whether or not I am equpped to act in self defense isn't my employer's problem. That being the case, I'd have to respond, "How is a perceived loss of business owner property rights my problem?" Compared with my being able to survive a potential life and death encounter, I'd have to say that business owners whining about 'losing property rights' over something that they would never even know was in my car unless they searched isn't my problem.