Looking for a cheap 20 gauge or .410?

OK, so the girl friend (as well as other smaller friends that have shot with us) are not too fond of the 12g. Not really a surprise. What I would like to do is get something a little smaller. So same concept (still a shotgun) just lighter/smaller overall, plus less recoil.

Is there any decent 20 gauge or .410 that I should look at that's not really a "major" purchase as much as an 870 express? I believe 20g would be better due to cheaper ammo, but how much will recoil be reduced? What ballpark would I be looking at for an "economical" 20g?

The 12g will still serve the home defense roll, so heck, even a single-shot 20g might be cool for now if it was priced right, just something we can shoot (and count on to work if really needed) but less kick...

Thanks, TGO experts!

Edited by Guest
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta agree with Dispatch ^^^. Get the 20g, it will spare some recoil for sure, and save the cash on ammo. I also agree about the pawn shop. Most shot guns, especially single shot, will work just fine regardless of cosmetic condition. You might find and old beat up 870 that looks like you drug it behind a truck, but will function just fine.

When they are in stock, I have seen NEF Pardner Pump shotguns at Walmart for less than two hundred bucks. Usually the ones I have seen were 12 gauge but they can probably order a 20 for you. Even better, you might check and see what kind of price you might get on one at an LGS. I don't own one but have heard that they are good guns.

I have also seen 20 gauge Maverick pump shotguns at Walmart. Field length, ribbed barrel and black, plastic furniture. These are Mossberg's 'budget' line guns and, except for a few differences, are basically a Mossberg 500. My HD shotgun is a Maverick Security model in 12 gauge (came with a 20 inch barrel and factory extended tube) and I have zero complaints about it. Wally World's price on them usually hovers somewhere around the $200 mark. Again, I'd also see what a local LGS could get one for and I would also check at Academy if there is one near you.

As far as pawnshops, these guys must know of some that I don't - which is entirely possible. Every, single gun I have ever seen at a pawnshop was way overpriced. Every pawnshop I have ever set foot in (well, every one that had them for sale, anyhow) has wanted as much for their beat-up, rough looking single shot shotguns as you'd pay for a brand new one at Walmart (and I'm not talking about some kind of 'collectible' guns.) Every pawnshop I have ever been in seems to think that all firearms come with barrels lined in pure gold or something with prices so inflated that haggling seemed pointless because even a 'haggled' price was still going to be too high.

One other thing to keep in mind is that single shots will often (although maybe not always) have more felt recoil than a pump, etc. The nice thing about singles is that they are handy, simple and generally relatively lightweight for carrying around. The lightweight factor means that they can have a kick to them. For example, I have an old Stevens 94c single shot 20 gauge that I bought at a gun show a year or two back. Now, I can shoot a box full of shells through a 12 gauge pump with no ill effects. In fact, I am a person who really can't understand why some folks think a Mosin-Nagant 'kicks' hard - I find it to be fairly mild. That 20 gauge - especially if I am dumb enough to try and run one ounce loads (specifically, some Federal 2 3/4 inch 5 shot I had on hand) through it - is painful after about the second shot. In fact, with that load I would rate it as being WORSE than my BIL's 10 gauge over/under loaded with 3.5 inch magnum goose loads.

One final thought - there are 'reduced recoil' loads available for 12 gauge. Some SD/HD buckshot loads are 'reduced recoil'. I have no real experience with those (I am a cheapskate so my 00 Buckshot load comes in the Remington bulk pack from Walmart - patterns fine from my shotgun) but have been told that the recoil is no worse than 20 gauge. That ammo might cost a little more but would probably still be cheaper than buying another gun and ammo for it. Of course, if you are just wanting to buy a new gun...

Edited by JAB

I'd suggest you get some reduced loads for the 12. I have several 20's, and I can't tell a big difference in recoil from the 12's. 410 shells are $10 per box. A 28 would be a good choice, but price and availability are a concern for ammo there as well.

Guest dubaholic2

Gander Mtn. sells the NEF Pardner pump for $199.99 and have both 12 and 20 ga. in stock. They are a little on the heavy side, but are good guns for the price.

Guest Papabear

Just a thought but buy a box of Winchester Low Noise Low Recoil 12 Guage shotgun shells. We shoot alot of them in Cowboy action shooting and in a 12 guage they are real soft shooters. Wal Mart usually has a few boxes just make sure the box is marked low noise low recoil. I would try this before buying a new gun as the reduced weight in a 20 guage will not make the recoil difference I think your looking for.