How do you move your safe around?

I have about as big a safe as anyone, a liberty presidential series. I can scoot it on carpet or slick floors by myself, its rough but I can do it. Anything else, I recommend a mini fork lift. That is not a joke. It is too heavy for people; I paid 2 men & a truck and they brought in a second team so 4 of those guys who lift heavy stuff all day could not get it off the ground or anything.

1" PVC pipe will do the job. You need 4 to 5 - 48" lengths or whatever the width of your safe is, then just place the PVC under the safe and roll. As one rolls out, place it in front, and repeat. When I purchased my 800lb safe 10 years ago, the place I bought it from told me about this technique, and it worked great. My wife guided me and I pushed. Simple but effective.

+1

Guest BobPayne44

I have the same exact safe comes in right at 725 pounds the pistol rack is nice but the ones that are Velcro to the door are a pos if you put a ruger LCD in one 10 minutes later it's on the floor in the safe the Velcro does not hold long

• 1 month later...
Guest Lowbuster

I had mine put in the back of mt truck on a few sheets and pulled it out with the winch on my truck on 2x12 s and pulled it along some cut pipe with winch to the door. After that my neighbors came and put it in for me. I got lucky.

Mine is only about 300 lbs. I moved in up a flight of 13 stairs by myself with the assistance of an appliance dolly.

During my years in the moving business, we used safe jacks, appliance dollies, 4-wheel dollies, and even the tube/pipe method.

A few decently strong guys should be able to handle it. If you can get an appliance dolly equipped with a "kick-out", it will be even easier.

Edited by TripleDigitRide

I used a dolly with pneumatic over-sized tires so it wouldn't mess up my carpet. I've got a Browning Pro Steel BR24f. It weighs 585 pounds. Believe it or not, once I got my friends to help me get it off the trailer and into the back door, I myself maneuvered it through my house to it's resting place. I live in a mobile home and I bolted it through the floor around the I-beams under the house. That thing is solid. Also helps when the door is open to keep the safe from rocking forward if it is on thick carpet. Good luck.

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx

Edited by glowdotGlock

Golf Balls....carpeted floors not a problem.. read some fellow got his stolen that way so used the knowledge for good get close to resting place and roll off then slide it the last 2 ft. then bolt the mutha down and back and side

you may laugh but you can turn corners really easy compared to a dolly..

John

If you can, let the pros do it. If you do it yourself, here are the rules:

1) Plan EVERY move in advance, and in great detail. Measure twice, plan every corner and turn.

2) Have someone else look at your plan and find problems with it. If you will be moving over a supported floor (not concrete), go under the floor and make sure there are no cracked supports or other weakness.

3) Make sure that everything is in place and ready to be used before you move it an inch.

4) Make a large cardboard box the size of your safe. Do a practice run. You will be surprised how many problems are found this way! Turning corners and going up or down a step (or more) are usually the biggest problems.

5) Go very slowly. Being in a hurry leads to injuries. Injuries involving 1/2 ton safes are rarely minor.

I've moved a few for others before I got my own. I've moved my own safe twice (with help), and both times it was a near thing to having fingers, toes, or other parts crushed. I helped a buddy who had a 900lb safe that found a weak spot in a floor once. Getting jacks under it in a 18" crawlspace was not much fun and more than a little scary.