If you could only go to one gun show this year .....

Guest Nikator

Guest Nikator

Which one would it be?

I think drive times of 3-4 hours max from middle tn should limit the possibilities.

Anyone who answers anything that starts with RK should be forced to go to one.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who answers anything that starts with RK should be forced to go to one.

I’ve been to most of the ones in this area Murfreesboro, Smyrna, Nashville, Franklin, and the best shows I have been to are the RK shows at Murfreesboro. Point me to a better one in the area.

They all suck for buying guns though. Prices are almost always higher than the local dealers and are always higher than what I can order on-line for. You can get some good deals on accessories though.

The best gun shows for buying guns is Buds and CDNN. :)

I’d like to go to that big one in Tulsa (?), but wouldn’t want to mess with shipping and FFL's. Wish we had something like that in Tennessee.

Nik:____

If we chose to go to one or two shows a year; the first one would be the semiannual gunshow in Birmingham. It is huge and it has everything. I would watch the gunshow listings to see when the dates are; as i think it's a semi-annual show. We would go to the spring show which is in March (...i think...). We are from east tennessee and you could put six or our usual Knoxville or Kingsport RK show layouts in the Birmingham show. It is held in the downtown convention center. You have individuals and dealers from florida to kentucky west to texas. It is a great show.

We went down to find old shotguns one year and came back with two; a us marked model 97 riot and a side hammer 1983 (...or 1887...) Remington hammer double. The whole gamut is there from shotguns, to colt single actions, to smiths, to rugers; and everything else in between. It is well worth the trip.

As to the others, i really like the local shows in the national guard armories and smaller venues put on by the local gun collecting and shooting guys. Ya get lots of individual sellers who sometimes want to sell some pretty neat stuff. Watch for the smaller shows which are in a reasonable driving distance of your place.

Hope this helps a bit.

leroy

Edited by leroy

What difference does it make when no matter what show you go it has the same dealers with the same overpriced junk they had at the last show. If you are going to go to a gun show to find a good or even a fair deal on a firearm, chances are you are going home dissapointed. Only reason I go to shows anymore is to buy reloading stuff or small items I dont want to pay shipping on.

I agree with Leroy on the Birmingham collector shows. Actually it's 3 times a year. The reason is because it's a collector association show. A person (or dealer) wanting to set up has to be a member, & new members have to be sponsered by existing members. Also what is offered for sale is restricted to gun related items. Quality knives are O.K, but no "fantasy" type ones.

Parking is free under the interstate if you get there early - otherwise there are a couple of parking garages. Never thought about trailers or motorhomes. I'm sure parking for those is very limited & so they know they have you there.

Lynn

Also, If you are into Garands, there are always a lot there - I'll bet at least 50 per show. Because it's so close to Anniston they are a big deal there, & a lot of people go over & get their annual allotment. Better know your stuff though - not good for newbies unless you have someone along who can advise.

Also, If you are into Garands, there are always a lot there - I'll bet at least 50 per show. Because it's so close to Anniston they are a big deal there, & a lot of people go over & get their annual allotment. Better know your stuff though - not good for newbies unless you have someone along who can advise.

Or you could just go to Anniston to get your Garands; that’s where I go. They cost hundreds less than the gun show and they have armorers behind the counter that will check out the rifles for you and give you pointers to educate you.

Guest arsenal9mm

I know I'm a few days late here, but I always enjoy the Knob Creek show out near Ft. Knox. They host it in April and October. Unfortunately they aren't having it this April. Great machine gun shoot on Saturday night also.

• 2 weeks later...
They all suck for buying guns though. Prices are almost always higher than the local dealers and are always higher than what I can order on-line for. You can get some good deals on accessories though.

The best gun shows for buying guns is Buds and CDNN.

+1 on that...I've found some good deals on mags, Surefire lights, & accessories. I've done some trading/buying from some private sellers and went home happy, but I've never found a good deal on a gun from the regular show dealers. I haven't tried CDNN yet, but I just ordered a Beretta pistol from Bud's today so I'll probably skip the Chilhowee show this wekend...especially considering it's an 80 mile drive each way. :pleased:

Edited by luvmyberetta