FNP 40 Answers?

Guest cdsusong

Guest cdsusong

Hey does anyone have anything on the FNH FNP 40? Bass Pro has them on sale and I looked at one today. I shot an IDPA this past weekend with my Glock 19 9mm and I was thinking of going up to a 40. I believe the FNP is $469 with a shooter's pack (kydex holster and double mag pouch) and extra mags. Any thoughts or help? Will this gun perform well, hang up, handling this kind of stuff.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest titanwolf

I have a FNP-40 that broke after firing 2 rounds. the hammer module cracked. I will be selling it after it is repaired.

I bought a XD .45 and so far no problems with it.

Edited by titanwolf
Guest bigbuck_tn

North Parkway in Jackson had them for $469 plus tax and tic last time I was there.

Of course you could get another Glock for $20 more....:eek:

While its just plain jane and boring....the Glock 19 performs well. If it ain't "accurate enough" for ya...put in an after market barrel and change the spring guide rod out to steel to help with the lock up(though they run fine stock). +1 on the XD and I would throw in the M&P as well..however..you are used to a grip angle that is steeper than the others...and your used to a unique trigger. You might easily adapt but some people have issues with changing over quickly. Also..I dont want to start a caliber war here...but why would you want to change over to a caliber that by nature has more "kick" to it...especially in competition. If you must go .40 Id stay with another striker fired gun so your bore remains relatively low to make up for that .40 kick....or you could just stay with what ya got, maybe a couple of upgrades and become a ninja with it.

Guest cdsusong

my glck 19 has been upgraded with a tungsten rod and spring set as well as mepro sights, slide release extender. maybe you are right, put in a lone wolf barrel and dance with the one that brought you. a barrel is alot cheaper than another ride. Stick with the 9mm? I would love to be a ninja. perhaps a glock 17 for competition?

I'm not a big fan of all the doom and gloom surrounding Glock's supposedly unsupported chamber, but just for S&G, I disassembled a friend's new FN, dropped a round in it, and the chamber looked just like my Glock 27's chamber. I guess we will soon hear about FNs going off like a stick of dynamite. Although I don't care for traditional double actions with hammers, I liked the overall feel of the gun.

If you are even considering IDPA, I would stick with a 9mm simply due to ammo co$t. The difference is recoil between two otherwise identical guns (a Glock 19 vs 23, for instance) is minimal.

Edited by deerslayer
Guest mikedwood

As if it matters I'm in total agreement with the those who stated ammo costs. It sure is a consideration for me and with WWB at Wal-mart for $18.42 a 100 and the .40 cal is about $29 I think. I'm so sticking with my Glock 19 it's not funny. More ammo, more practice, ninja becomes one with gun.

Only mod to my 19 is the Crimson Trace laser just because, man it's cool. End all be all of effective? Not so much but it's cool. I'm strongly considering another spring.

Guest cdsusong

I think you guys are right. I will buy 9mm ammo instead of spending the extra cash on a 40cal toy. although another toy would be nice.......

Hey I have a buddy that bought one of the FN USG 5.7 x28 and man is it sweet. I'm afraid however if the elections go a certain way, that ammo will be impossible to find. I told him to buy all he can and I would even pick some up before it gets gone. As I said, that is one sweet ride.

I think you guys are right. I will buy 9mm ammo instead of spending the extra cash on a 40cal toy. although another toy would be nice.......

Hey I have a buddy that bought one of the FN USG 5.7 x28 and man is it sweet. I'm afraid however if the elections go a certain way, that ammo will be impossible to find. I told him to buy all he can and I would even pick some up before it gets gone. As I said, that is one sweet ride.

The FiveSeven is pretty freakin sweet...i have one of those and a PS90. I also have 1500 rds of SS195 :pleased: I used to not shoot it too much because the ammo was "expensive" now with all other ammo going up its price still really hasnt changed. its about like any larger caliber handgun $19.95/50 rds (when not buying a case at a time).

9mm and .40 are getting pretty close in price theses days. I don't feel as bad about my .40 anymore.

I had a FNP-9, that was a very nice looking and shooting gun. Just sold it cause trigger reach was a little long for me. That being said i could shoot circles around my former XD-9.

As far a hammer modules cracking, there have only been about 300 returned for service out of 200,000 (.0015%) sold. Evidently there was a minor molding issue that was caught pretty quickly.

Guest cdsusong

so you would go with the FNP9 instead of the XD9? Thay are both about the same price and come with the same goody pack. maybe $10 more for the FNP. I wonder what I could get for my Kahr CW9 on trade?

The XD will be a little closer to what your used to. Similar trigger system...and striker fired. Going from a striker fired DAO to a SA/DA can be tough. You really have to train with it if your going to carry it. Also your used to a bit steeper grip angle with the Glock, its all personal preference, but pick one platform for carry and train on that. When your in a combat situation your skill wont rise to the occasion, it will drop down to whatever you've trained with and can do in your sleep. Im a gun whore, but I only carry what I train the hardest on.

but pick one platform for carry and train on that. When your in a combat situation your skill wont rise to the occasion, it will drop down to whatever you've trained with and can do in your sleep. Im a gun whore, but I only carry what I train the hardest on.

Hmmm...very good advice...makes me rethink my gun swapping carry tendencies...

so you would go with the FNP9 instead of the XD9? Thay are both about the same price and come with the same goody pack. maybe $10 more for the FNP. I wonder what I could get for my Kahr CW9 on trade?

Around here they are about $70-$80 difference NIB. I preffered the FNP for a couple reasons, but it is really apples to oranges. The FNP is a smaller feeling and lighter carry gun with an exposed hammer in DA/SA. The XD is a rugged tunable service gun that is a little blocky and heavy feeling. I like them both, just liked the FNP more. Try them both and see what you like.

If you cant find an FN from one of our reputable onsite dealers here you might wanna check into Tanners in PA....they are an FN dealer and their prices are usually pretty insanely low. I bought my PS90 from them and got a steal...i just bought a Mossberg barrel from them and it got lost by UPS and they arent shipping me another til UPS confirms it was lost...which kinda irritates me...so I give them 3 1/2 stars (out of 4).