Employee Safe Commute (Parking Lot) Campaign

From a friend of mine in the TFA: "Below is the link to the sub-committee that holds the fate of HB3560 the Employee Safe Commute in its hands. These 7 individuals hold the life of this bill in their hands. The first step is to get it out of the sub-committee. Please email and call every member of this committee and have five of your friends do the same. Respectively ask them to support this bill and tell them why you think they should Together we can make a difference."

http://www.capitol.t...b-consumer.html

These are the senators that we need to target with RESPECTFUL emails and phone calls to voice support for the bill because if it doesn't make it out of committee it's done. Concentrate first on those senators who are YOUR senator but all should be contacted.

It is mostly big business, including but not limited to FedEx, Bridgestone/Firestone and Nissan North America that is opposed to this bill.

If you want this measure to become law, as it has in other states, get busy. If you don't want it that's fine; you can contact them too but I'm done arguing about it. :)

Edited by RobertNashville

From a friend of mine in the TFA: "Below is the link to the sub-committee that holds the fate of HB3560 the Employee Safe Commute in its hands. These 7 individuals hold the life of this bill in their hands. The first step is to get it out of the sub-committee. Please email and call every member of this committee and have five of your friends do the same. Respectively ask them to support this bill and tell them why you think they should Together we can make a difference."

http://www.capitol.t...b-consumer.html

These are the senators that we need to target with RESPECTFUL emails and phone calls to voice support for the bill because if it doesn't make it out of committee it's done. Concentrate first on those senators who are YOUR senator but all should be contacted.

It is mostly big business, including but not limited to FedEx, Bridgestone/Firestone and Nissan North America that is opposed to this bill.

If you want this measure to become law, as it has in other states, get busy. If you don't want it that's fine; you can contact them too but I'm done arguing about it. :)

Any specific points/counterpoints that these organizations are raising ?

Anyone have them condensed to a few cogent bullets to mention in the letter to the Committee?

I'd simply suggest that you tell them how you feel (respectfully of course)...and keep it short and to the point.

All I'm saying is something like....

I'm writing to encourage you to vote in favor of this bill and to move it forward so that the full legislature can have a chance to vote on it...that it's important and necessary that I be able to defend my life while traveling to/from work and the places I stop in-between and to do so using the best tools available, including a legally owned and carried firearm.

What's really important here is that they know you want the bill passed and for them to get an idea of just how many people want it passed. If you are writing to someone and you aren't a constituent then it's unlikely they'll read it BUT many legislators do have admins keep a running total of how many emails/calls come in and whether they are pro/con on a particular measure.

Thanks but hmmm, after long delay, I only get audio, with animated MS Media Player logo. Is there supposed to be video too?

- OS

edit: now I can't get anything

edit2: Now I get the audio again but the one for SB3002 isn't the right one. Sigh

I was getting video & audio. Don't know where 3002 is qued at, but I thought someone mentioned right near the end of the session.

SB3002 starts at ~01:51:00

Edited by R_Bert
I was getting video & audio. Don't know where 3002 is qued at, but I thought someone mentioned right near the end of the session. SB3002 starts at ~01:51:00

Thanks, it's working on my Win7 box. Can't get video on my XP one, both Win Media 11, dunno why.

- OS

edit: It's playing with SilverLight on the Win7 box, not Media Player.

edit2: installed SilverLight on XP box, works on it now using it.

Edited by OhShoot

If you watch the Judiciary Committee session of today, Campfield comes off as less than supportive. He grilled me pretty hard on the "Private Property" aspect.

First time in front of a full committee, maybe I will do better next time, there were some nerves going on.

Hell, I thought you did very well indeed. Several of your points were timely and are not hammered home well enough in other discussions.

- The difference between HCP holders as law abiding compared to general population

- Fact that bearing arms must pass the "reduce crime" clause in TN constitution

- That private property is not mentioned in TN constitution as some overwhelming principle

And yes, Campfield surprised me. Took the "I'm a wide open gun type guy" while basically clouding the issue to the contrary.

Marrero spouts a typical non-pertinent concern, as if a company policy or law deters a criminal madman. Since she's "city smart" she doesn't need a gun either, as she drives around all parts of Memphis safely. Right. Ya hate to wish bad things for most anyone, but ....

NRA gal was ignorant, too, in question about whether it only affects permit holders; states that long guns are only thing non permit holder may possess in car.

Anyway, kudos, proud of ya!

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Anyway, kudos, proud of ya!

- OS

Thank you for the kind words.

According to Faramir "The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards. Yet there was nought in this to praise. I had no lure or desire to do other than I have done."

I am just glad that any of those who desire to see this bill given an even shake was offered the opportunity to speak in its support. I am sure there are others who could have done it more justice, but it was my turn, and I did the best I could.

The real test will be in the House Employee and Consumer Affairs sub-committee, I will be better prepared for that one.

• Like 2

The biggest issue right now is the sub-committee of the House, Employee and Consumer Affairs. It was place there by Leadership to kill it. 4 Republicans, 3 Democrats make up this sub, and we are in danger of it never making it to the floor.

Currently, of the members, we have commitments from Eldridge and Casada. I have heard that Moore will vote yes, but the Chairman, rep. Mark White has yet to sign on. He has said he has heard very little support from his district, (83, which includes the location of a lot of Fed Ex in Memphis). We need his constituents to contact him with polite request to co-sponsor and support this bill.

They just put up the list of co-sponsors from the House:

Evans, Eldridge, Faison, Weaver, Matheny, Pody, Wirgau, Tidwell, Holt, Floyd, Shipley, Ragan, Campbell, Butt, Keisling, Windle, Halford, Hill, Sanderson, Casada, Parkinson, Swann, Lollar, Alexander, Hall, Gotto, Ford , Forgety, Rich.

It is a fair start, but we need more.

Edited by Worriedman

The biggest issue right now is the sub-committee of the House, Employee and Consumer Affairs. It was place there by Leadership to kill it. 4 Republicans, 3 Democrats make up this sub, and we are in danger of it never making it to the floor.

Currently, of the members, we have commitments from Eldridge and Casada. I have heard that Moore will vote yes, but the Chairman, rep. Mark White has yet to sign on. He has said he has heard very little support from his district, (83, which includes the location of a lot of Fed Ex in Memphis). We need his constituents to contact him with polite request to co-sponsor and support this bill.

They just put up the list of co-sponsors from the House:

Evans, Eldridge, Faison, Weaver, Matheny, Pody, Wirgau, Tidwell, Holt, Floyd, Shipley, Ragan, Campbell, Butt, Keisling, Windle, Halford, Hill, Sanderson, Casada, Parkinson, Swann, Lollar, Alexander, Hall, Gotto, Ford , Forgety, Rich.

It is a fair start, but we need more.

I sent an email thanking my legislator who co-sponsored this bill (Rep. Ragan), with a copy to the one who has not signed on yet (Sen. McNally).

Edited by R_Bert

I sent the following to the committee. Copied to Speaker Harwell, Rep. Maggart, Gov. Haslam, LT. Gov. Ramsay, my local legislators, and several friends.

Already have a response from Rep Eldridge (one of the sponsors)

Gentlemen,

HB3650 (Senate 3002), summarized here , is before your committee, TN House Subcommittee for Consumer and Employee Affairs. I urge you to move it to the floor of the House so that it may be voted on by the TN House at large.

Warmest regards,

Bert

Edited by R_Bert

Received this from Sen. McNally today -

Bert:

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding the Employee Safe Commute Bill and voicing your support for Senate Bill 3002 and House Bill 3560. I appreciate you taking the time to contact me in response to this issue.

At the moment, this bill is in the Judiciary Committee, which I am not a member of, and it is on calendar for Tuesday, February 28th. If it makes it to the floor, I will support this bill.

Thank you again for the information that you provided me as well as your interest in our local community. You have my assurance that your concerns and suggestions, as well as those of my other constituents, will be reflected in my decision-making process as the Senate continues its work. Please continue to stay in contact with me to voice your position on legislation that is important to you.

Senator Randy McNally

615-741-6806

Edited by R_Bert

From the article that Bert linked, above:

But critics say the bill also would apply to employees and parking lots maintained by schools, colleges and governments.

So?

A firearm secured in a locked vehicle is no more going to jump out and start shooting simply because the vehicle happens to be parked at a school, etc. than if it is parked anywhere else. Just because a person works at a school, government building, etc. doesn't make their lives worth any less nor does it make their right to be equipped to defend themselves during their commute any less valid or important.

• Like 1

SB3002 is on the schedule for THIS week in the Senate Judiciary Committee. The way I understood the origional plan by Mike Faulk was that the PROPONENTS were heard last week on the 21st and the OPONENTS were not to be heard untill the 6th of March. The anti-discrimination bill, SB2992 that goes with it is still not scheduled to be heard again untill the 6th.

I actaully see this as a good thing as we need this thing moved along so as to get a floor vote as soon as we can because the House has said that they will not do ANYTHING until there is action in the Senate. Leaders in the General Assembly have said that they want to wrap up this session by the end of April so that does not give us much time to get this done. What we DO NOT want to happen is for time to run out before the bill can be addressed in The House. The House is looking for an excuse to not addrress this. When you contact your representative in the House be sure to communicate to them that no vote on the issue will be considered a "NO" vote. Footdragging will not be viewed well by us.

Please contact your senators AND the senators on the Judiciary Committee and remind them that we want this bill to get to the floor.

SB3002 is on the schedule for THIS week in the Senate Judiciary Committee. The way I understood the origional plan by Mike Faulk was that the PROPONENTS were heard last week on the 21st and the OPONENTS were not to be heard untill the 6th of March. The anti-discrimination bill, SB2992 that goes with it is still not scheduled to be heard again untill the 6th.

I actaully see this as a good thing as we need this thing moved along so as to get a floor vote as soon as we can because the House has said that they will not do ANYTHING until there is action in the Senate. Leaders in the General Assembly have said that they want to wrap up this session by the end of April so that does not give us much time to get this done. What we DO NOT want to happen is for time to run out before the bill can be addressed in The House. The House is looking for an excuse to not addrress this. When you contact your representative in the House be sure to communicate to them that no vote on the issue will be considered a "NO" vote. Footdragging will not be viewed well by us.

Please contact your senators AND the senators on the Judiciary Committee and remind them that we want this bill to get to the floor.

I sent this to the Senate Judiciary Committee members, with copies to my local legislators, Gov. Haslam, Lt. Gov Ramsey, Speaker Harwell, and a number of friends.

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen of the Senate,

Thank you for your support and service to the citizens of our state.

Senate 3002 (HB3650), summarized here , is before your Tennessee Senate Standing Committee, Judiciary. I urge you to move it to the floor of the Senate so that it may be voted on by the TN Senate at large.

Warmest regards,

Bert

Received this back from Ron Ramsey, Lt. Gov. (and leader of the TN Senate)

Thank you for your e-mail. I appreciate you taking the time to communicate with me about this issue. I value your input.

Sincerely,

Ronald L. Ramsey

Lieutenant Governor

1 Legislative Plaza

Nashville, Tennessee

(615) 741-4524

Edited by R_Bert

I sent this to the Senate Judiciary Committee members, with copies to my local legislators, Gov. Haslam, Lt. Gov Ramsey, Speaker Harwell, and a number of friends.

Way to keep the heat on them, Bert. As Dean Martin used to say, "keep those cards and letters commin' in".

Direction of action should now be turned to Lt. Governor Ron Ramsey's office. the University of Tennessee is jumping into the fray, and is going all in to defeat this Bill.

Appears that what will remain after Senate action, through monetary pressure on the top levels of Leadership, will be exemption of all college campus parking lots, and all "secured" i.e. fenced (FedEx) lots. Evidently money still speaks louder than voters. Included in the antis re this issue are the Chamber of Commerce, Fed EX, UT everything (including our taxpayer funded MTAS and CTAS).

Key will be this coming Tuesday's Senate Judiciary Committee hearing, where antagonist get to speak without rebuttal, and then a vote to advance or kill the Bill.