Employee Safe Commute (Parking Lot) Campaign

Direction of action should now be turned to Lt. Governor Ron Ramsey's office. the University of Tennessee is jumping into the fray, and is going all in to defeat this Bill.

Appears that what will remain after Senate action, through monetary pressure on the top levels of Leadership, will be exemption of all college campus parking lots, and all "secured" i.e. fenced (FedEx) lots. Evidently money still speaks louder than voters. Included in the antis re this issue are the Chamber of Commerce, Fed EX, UT everything (including our taxpayer funded MTAS and CTAS).

Key will be this coming Tuesday's Senate Judiciary Committee hearing, where antagonist get to speak without rebuttal, and then a vote to advance or kill the Bill.

I just don't understand how they think the security of the parking lot has anything to do with it? It's on the way too and from that people are worried about. Hell if a place has a "secure" parking lot you'd think they would be less worried about an employee having a firearm in their car.

As far as schools there bills to reword 39-17-1309 to make it more clear about leaving a firearm in a vehicle....how would an exception for schools on this bill effect that if ever passed, or the current state of 39-17-1309 for that matter.

....and don't even get me started on MTAS and CTAS. I'm not necessarily against local governments having a place to get advice if they need it, but the stuff those places put out...and cities and counties thinking they just have to follow it without question. I really think many cities/counties passed resolutions against park carry just because of MTAS/CTAS sent out without even really knowing what they were doing.

It's bad the anti's get the last word...but to some degree I imagine most of the members will know how they are going to vote before they enter the room.

Here is how to assess your legislators viewpoints on issues (including firearms) by their voting record. Very handy to look at likely votes of committee members as well up to 2010

http://tennesseevotes.org/

Remind them (with specific examples of agreement and disagreement) that you know how they voted in the past.

For example is my State Senator Randy McNally - http://tennesseevote...earch&CVN=10000 on firearms.

This site also shows their donors - (example in this case is my senator, Randy McNally who is generally pro 2A, but I am concerned about FEDEX on his list)

http://ballotpedia.o...p/Randy_McNally

Edited by R_Bert

I got this from Sen. Randy McNally -

Bert:

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding the Employee Safe Commute Bill and voicing your support for Senate Bill 3002 and House Bill 3560. I appreciate you taking the time to contact me in response to this issue.

At the moment, this bill is in the Judiciary Committee, which I am not a member of, and it is on calendar for next week. If it makes it to the floor, I will support this bill.

Thank you again for the information that you provided me as well as your interest in our local community. You have my assurance that your concerns and suggestions, as well as those of my other constituents, will be reflected in my decision-making process as the Senate continues its work. Please continue to stay in contact with me to voice your position on legislation that is important to you.

Senator Randy McNally

615-741-6806

Watched the Senate Judiciary Committee today as they allowed opponents of the "Parking Lot" Bill have their say. Four opponents were allowed to testify and it looked like there were about ten more that would have if there had been time. The ones that did get to testify did so with the usual arguments against this legislation and I thought were pretty effective in doing what they came to do, although I don't think they won the argument. One of the more telling exchanges was near the end when Sen. Bell asked the head of FEDEX if there had been any problems at FEDEX in the states that have already passed legislation like this. The answer was no. He believed the first state to pass a law like this was in Oklahoma about 5-6 years ago and he had never heard of a problem there.

You can watch the entire testimony at this link:

http://tnga.granicus...89&clip_id=5069

The gun bill starts at 00:23:32 and ends at 1:27:00.

Guest 6.8 AR

From the article that Bert linked, above:

So?

A firearm secured in a locked vehicle is no more going to jump out and start shooting simply because the vehicle happens to be parked at a school, etc. than if it is parked anywhere else. Just because a person works at a school, government building, etc. doesn't make their lives worth any less nor does it make their right to be equipped to defend themselves during their commute any less valid or important.

To hear some, it's all about property rights. Battling those folks on the other thread is an example

of how this bill will die. Sheesh! It's good to see some of us understanding what this is about.

I've tried to catch Sen Ramsey at or after church the last several weeks in order to set up a time to speak with him about this...to no avail, unfortunately (as much my fault as his on that point). Finally resorted to an email Sun night in which I expressed my puzzlement and disdain at his recent comments RE "compromise"...statements which run directly countercurrent to statments he has made directly to me in past conversations and in campaign literature, etc. Not surprisingly I guess, I have yet to receive a response.

I have had even less success with attempts to converse via email with Rep Lundberg. Several attempts have yet to result in any form of acknowledgement from him - likely because I expressed by disappointment with his support of the Evans fiasco last session, Given his past experiences (prior to life politik), I do not find it surprising at all that he would take comfort in the FedEx nest.

I emailed Ron Ramsey a couple of days ago (surprisingly I haven't heard back from him) to express my disappointment with him and the rest of the leadership from the governor on down.

It's beyond irritating that they grovel for the votes of firearm enthusiasts and will expound at length about their support of our second amendment rights yet won't even let a bill come to the floor for a n up/down vote.

All the cowards and liars need to be voted out and I hope we get some good, true conservatives to run so that the current power structure doesn't have the power they now wield.

To hear some, it's all about property rights. Battling those folks on the other thread is an example

of how this bill will die. Sheesh! It's good to see some of us understanding what this is about.

I'm sick to death of the stupid "private property rights" argument....the opposition to this bill has Zero to do with property rights and 100% to do with campaign money.

I'm sick to death of the stupid "private property rights" argument....the opposition to this bill has Zero to do with property rights and 100% to do with campaign money.

I've stayed out of the private property rights argument by and large...I have my beliefs, as does everyone else, and all the threads concerning them have done is to galvanize the fact that folks aren't likely to change their opinions about it...which is cool. RNs comment above, however, gave pause to a truth that I knew, just never had vocalized: while the property rights arguments makes for interesting Constitutional debate, it really has NOTHING to do with the reality of the opposition to the proposed legislation. Its just a convenient diversion...a red herring. And one that has been excellently played by the oppositon, I might add...it was swallowed hook, line and sinker.

Edited by GKar

They gave some pretty weak answers to the, "How will this affect your businesses?" question. We should ditch this legislation because:

1. FedEx is safe (but they can't guarantee it) and this will make it unsafe (but they can't provide any statistics to support this).

2. It might scare some international students away because they made the mistake of getting an education in the Patron State of Shootin' Stuff.

3. They actually do need a good reason to fire people because now, the terminated individual can claim racism, sexism, and gun-ism?

Is that all they got?

• Like 1

"They gave some pretty weak answers to the, "How will this affect your businesses?" question. We should ditch this legislation because:

1. FedEx is safe (but they can't guarantee it) and this will make it unsafe (but they can't provide any statistics to support this).

2. It might scare some international students away because they made the mistake of getting an education in the Patron State of Shootin' Stuff.

3. They actually do need a good reason to fire people because now, the terminated individual can claim racism, sexism, and gun-ism?

Is that all they got? "

Yeah, that's all they got!!

It was intimated to me today that there is a potential that HB 3560 will not even be given a shot at a sub committee vote on Wednesday, so that there will be no record of how it is treated with.

Only chance for consideration is for Sub-committee Chairman Rep. Mark White to hear from lots of his constituents respectfully requesting that the Bill get an up or down vote in the sub committee.

It was intimated to me today that there is a potential that HB 3560 will not even be given a shot at a sub committee vote on Wednesday, so that there will be no record of how it is treated with.

Only chance for consideration is for Sub-committee Chairman Rep. Mark White to hear from lots of his constituents respectfully requesting that the Bill get an up or down vote in the sub committee.

I hope it will be heard. I have requested time off to make a trip to Nashville for the hearing. I sent Eddie Bass an email asking to be put on the list to speak. I'll sent Mark White an email and will call his office Monday.

As for the Senate side, I heard Saturday night that Ron Ramsey has stated that Mark Norris and Brian Kelsey are key people. If any of you out there know people in Norris's and Kelsey's districts, they need to get those phones ringing and emails flying.

Guest 6.8 AR

More PC injections are going to be added. It's a

shame this debate is going there. No compromise

is needed. There is no threat to anyone's safety

except without the legislation. The Chamber of

Commerce is just wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk