There are entirely too many new members with no Avatar, and maybe a few old-timers too. The place is looking a little generic because of that.

Can you apply some sort of default image, like Alfred E. Newman or somthing, as an incentive to pick something. :D

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

Garufa, I don't think there are many others here in my situatiom, but I could be wrong. When I singed up, there was a list of subjects to choose as an avatar, and for me, who knows next to nothing about life in the cyber world, it was a simple matter to pick one. Well now...I find myself in need of help to pick something and transfer it to here. What I know about these things is just about enough to sing in here and send a messsge or two. So maybe your idea is a good one til I get some help from a 6-year old who can teach me.

I miss my eagle and flag.

If you go to your profile, look over on the left where a picture should be. It should say "Change". Click on that to bring up a dialog to upload a picture from your computer. It needs to be pretty small, but it will resize automatically.

It least that what it looks like to me. I'm not trying it, I might loose my identity. :P

Edited by Garufa
  • Administrator

The new software doesn't include the ability to provide canned avatars the way we did in the past. I think the general assumption that the software's authors take is that if you're online and participating in a forum, you probably have an avatar or two that you normally use.

Sorry. :)

Do a Google search for "Free Avatars" and there are tons of pages out there that have them. Find one you like, right-click it and select "Save Image As". Pick a folder and name that you can remember. Then follow Garufa's directions to change your avatar.

Thanks for the help, when I get awake and alert, I'll try it.

• Administrator

I just loaded an avatar today. My old one “disappeared” with the forum update. No Biggie.

I did have to resize my new avatar to a 250 x 167 pixel size in order to get it to load. Anything larger wouldn’t upload from my desktop.

Just an FYI FWIW.

:2cents:

You do realize that 250 x 167 is twice as large as the forum expects you to use for an avatar, right? The fact that it took that and resized it should be met with great joy. :)

For what it's worth, the size limitation is actually based on KB and not so much on dimension. As long as your file is within the KB limit, the forum will resize it like it did for you.

You do realize that 250 x 167 is twice as large as the forum expects you to use for an avatar, right? The fact that it took that and resized it should be met with great joy. :)

For what it's worth, the size limitation is actually based on KB and not so much on dimension. As long as your file is within the KB limit, the forum will resize it like it did for you.

No Sir, I didn't realize it. And I am quite pleased, but not surprised that the software is smarter than I am.

I confess to being a technotard (an aging technotard at that), and appreciate having an area to ask questions and seek advice such as this section.

Yep, I am quite happy it worked! :pleased:

btw...Ilike the new layout and setup of the forums. :up:

All Right! Successuful insertion of an avatar. Not quite what I wanted. But will work for a while as I play with several and try for something tottally different. At least for me. Doesn't really tie in with my screen name, but I've been a Terminator fan for so long it just seems natural. My wife just looked at it, shook her head sadly, and walked away. Some women just don't seem to like watching the movies over and over. :down:

Sometimes, I do it just to be evil. :stir:

There are entirely too many new members with no Avatar, and maybe a few old-timers too. The place is looking a little generic because of that.

Can you apply some sort of default image, like Alfred E. Newman or somthing, as an incentive to pick something. :D

I forgot to mention it, but this post was my motivation to re-post an avatar. Could you imagine several hundred Alfred E. Newman's looking at you! :pleased:

Thanks for the info and help here folks.

I'm trying to change my avatar, I change the photo in my photo settings and my old avatar changes to the new one, i click save then when i go to the threads it shows my old avatar??? Im going to keep trying, maybe i get lucky?

I'm trying to change my avatar, I change the photo in my photo settings and my old avatar changes to the new one, i click save then when i go to the threads it shows my old avatar??? Im going to keep trying, maybe i get lucky?

Greg,

This was what mine was doing until I continued to reduce the size of the pic to a point to where, as TGO David mentioned, the forum software was able to "fix" (further reduce it) for me.

Maybe this is what's happening? :shrug:

I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable members will chime in with a fix for you.

:pleased: