Forward Grip on AR pistol

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Would a Mako magwell grip be considered a forward grip on an AR pistol? I thought maybe not since it's technically connected to the lower, but you can't be too careful.

That's the kind of question I'd want to get an in-writing opinion on from the BATFE. Like you I'd think it would not qualify as a forward grip, however my opinion won't keep you out of hot water either.

That's the kind of question I'd want to get an in-writing opinion on from the BATFE. Like you I'd think it would not qualify as a forward grip, however my opinion won't keep you out of hot water either.

Yeah, probably best. I don't have either currently. Just thinking about an AR pistol and options. I'll have to see if I can get a reply from the BATFE

Guest Lester Weevils

Would there be any way to "improve" the design of the magwell so it just holds on "real tight" to a mag and the mag doesn't have any wiggle?

I don't have an AR pistol but have a PLR-16, same but different. Have wondered about that. It seems a bad idea to ordinarily use the mag as a grip because the mag has slight "wiggle" and one could probably wiggle it enough to misfeed, using it as a grip. The mag seems in there plenty tight enough to be reliable, but not in there tight enough that you couldn't conceivably wiggle the mag enough for a misfeed.

The mag would seem an ideal forward grip if the mag holder could be modified to hang onto the mag "absolutely-rock-solid"? ATF couldn't put you in jail for holding the mag as a grip, could they?

Guest Lester Weevils

Lester,

I'm sure there is a way, however if you make the magwell that tight, you would most likely have issues with mag changes. I would much rather have a smooth mag change and just hold the magwell with or without the grip, than have a mag I cannot get inserted.

Hi Lumber_Jack

I agree. Am not imaginative re mechanical things, but maybe either some kind of clamping mechanism that one would manually toggle on after mag insertion, and have to be manully toggled off to remove the mag. Or some kind of stronger "auto clamp" that would be activated by the mag release button and "ratchet open" when no mag is in place (easing mag insertion). Most likely a fool's errand.

There were videos of some company's AR pistols, from some other thread on this topic. The guy was demonstrating shooting with close to conventional rifle stance, except there was no stock. Next time I take out the PLR-16 want to try that to see how awkward that might be. PLR_16 doesn't have the recoil buffer sticking out the back. This guy wasn't using the recoil buffer as a stock but he was using it is kind of a "guide" and cheek rest.

The magazine would be a little bit hard to remove and change if it were that tight. I would worry more about using the mag as a grip because you can push the rounds into the feedlips with pushing on the mag, which can in turn damage them or cause jams.

Edited by gjohnsoniv

with My Draco I found I couldnt have a Forward grip unless registering as an AOW but I did find that I could use angled foregrip as that is considerd a rest not a Grip now Im shure the ar pistol would be the same as for magwell grip Im pretty shure its Fine but havent seen an documentation floating around so Id ask ATF first.

Edited by plank white