Hiking/Camping w/No Conceal Carry Permit

Man I thought being in TENNESSEE I could hike with my AR-15 just SLUNG over my back! :)

The only difference between TN and NY is that we are a shall issue state for a permit... otherwise the state infringes on our natural rights just as much.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all of the backpacking I've done, I've never seen a bear in the back country. That's not to say that they are not there or not something to worry about, but I just think they hear me and move on. I have seen a pack of wild hogs, which probably scare me more than a bear. They moved along with a bit of shouting.

I really think the bear spray, as mentioned above, is the best option for you. They make it with holsters, so it's easy to strap on to your waist or your pack, they spray quite a distance, and would definitely be a deterrent to all dangerous critters, two or four legged.

Really? Last summer I seen about 10 bears in the national park. Many of them were mothers with their cubs. Heck, I came within 30 feet of a mother bear during one occurence. It is easy to accidently sneak up on them. They all minded their own business. I also slowly moved away from them, so I wouldn't scare them into thinking I was a threat. They are definitely out there. I seen at least one bear almost every time I went to the park last summer.

Guest 270win

If you were on paper company/private land camping and hiking, you could carry a firearm with you without a handgun carry permit and should be ok on the 'intent to go armed' charge. You probably would be legal carrying a firearm on national forest land. The problem is on state park land about the only two reasons you can carry a firearm away from your campsite is with a handgun carry permit or in a park that allows hunting and in the hunting area. The handgun carry permit doesn't allow you to carry a long gun. So carrying a long gun away from the campsite in a state park would seem to require you to be going hunting or to the park's range. Stupid law, but we didn't make it up. Of course if you are a certified law enforcement officer, you should be legal without any sort of permit.

If you were on paper company/private land camping and hiking, you could carry a firearm with you without a handgun carry permit and should be ok on the 'intent to go armed' charge. You probably would be legal carrying a firearm on national forest land. The problem is on state park land about the only two reasons you can carry a firearm away from your campsite is with a handgun carry permit or in a park that allows hunting and in the hunting area. The handgun carry permit doesn't allow you to carry a long gun. So carrying a long gun away from the campsite in a state park would seem to require you to be going hunting or to the park's range. Stupid law, but we didn't make it up. Of course if you are a certified law enforcement officer, you should be legal without any sort of permit.

Can you cite the law the allows the carry of firearms in a state park without a HCP at a campsite? I don't see that exception/defense in 39-17-1311.

As for National Forrest's, they're also classified as WMAs, and carry is prohibited in WMAs except with a HCP, or valid hunting license with a firearm that meets the requirements of the game being hunted. So you can't carry a center fire firearm (long or handgun) if you're hunting for squirrels for example.

Guest bkelm18

The only difference between TN and NY is that we are a shall issue state for a permit... otherwise the state infringes on our natural rights just as much.

I wasn't aware you were required to have a permit to buy a pistol in TN. I also wasn't aware that TN still had an AWB in effect. :rolleyes: TN may not be the greatest, but it's a far cry from NY as far as gun laws.

Edited by bkelm18

I wasn't aware you were required to have a permit to buy a pistol in TN. I also wasn't aware that TN still had an AWB in effect. :rolleyes: TN may not be the greatest, but it's a far cry from NY as far as gun laws.

You do it's just disguised better... In TN we call it TICS, where the state government (violating the state constitution IMHO) requires their approval and payment of a $10 tax on every firearm we purchase, so yeah we have to get a permit each and every time we purchase a firearm.

Just remember in TN all firearm possession is a crime, they only have defenses against that crime. So in reality how much better are our laws than NY's? Neither state respects the 2nd amendment or their own constitutions. Just because TN gives us a few more crumbs, we're supposed to be happy?

You do it's just disguised better... In TN we call it TICS, where the state government (violating the state constitution IMHO) requires their approval and payment of a $10 tax on every firearm we purchase, so yeah we have to get a permit each and every time we purchase a firearm.

Just remember in TN all firearm possession is a crime, they only have defenses against that crime. So in reality how much better are our laws than NY's? Neither state respects the 2nd amendment or their own constitutions. Just because TN gives us a few more crumbs, we're supposed to be happy?

I agree that this state doesn't yet respect our Constitutional rights as it should. BUT... I have bought several firearms legally without the permission of the state or paying a $10 tax. Can't do that in NY.

And as far as I know, firearm possession isn't a crime, just carrying them. I could be wrong. If I am, please cite the specific code that makes it a crime to possess a firearm without the state's permission.

Not saying things are as they should be, but I want to be clear about how they actually ARE.

Thanks,

Will

For the record I'm back from camping and we're all alive. However...SOMETHING licked our frying pan clean in the middle of the night. I hung it about 100 yards from camp and I'm glad I did!

We also nearly froze to death last night. For some reason I thought it was a good idea to camp at the top of a mountain next to a straight drop off cliff. LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION! Note to self... do not set up camp in exposed locations. It sounded like a 24/7 tornado. I was scared that if I opened the tent door I'd find a pair of ruby slippers and a yellow brick road!

Virgin Falls, Sparta, TN. Canned Chili. True Story.

Edited by w0lfattack

I agree that this state doesn't yet respect our Constitutional rights as it should. BUT... I have bought several firearms legally without the permission of the state or paying a $10 tax. Can't do that in NY.

And as far as I know, firearm possession isn't a crime, just carrying them. I could be wrong. If I am, please cite the specific code that makes it a crime to possess a firearm without the state's permission.

Not saying things are as they should be, but I want to be clear about how they actually ARE.

Thanks,

Will

Agreed the state doesn't 'require TICS background checks on private sales, and NY does... doesn't change the fact that all new sales tax and regulate the purchase of a firearm and the paying of a fee to the state.

As for pure possession, inside your home, you're golden... it's not a crime.. try moving it anywhere outside your home or property you own, and it is. Even having loaded firearms in your house is a crime under the law, we just have a defense against it.

Are our laws the worse? No. Are they clearly bad and 'RINO's' in the legislature don't really care about our rights? Yes.

You guys have surly got my head spinning now. If I have an HCP on my person, am I allowed to enter a state park, For some of the places that I park my truck when fishing is TVA and State owned. I have always carried when I am in the water. Not because I fear the wildlife just the nuts.

Guest bkelm18

You guys have surly got my head spinning now. If I have an HCP on my person, am I allowed to enter a state park, For some of the places that I park my truck when fishing is TVA and State owned. I have always carried when I am in the water. Not because I fear the wildlife just the nuts.

You may carry in any TN State Park, regardless of if they are posted or not. TVA property is a bit of a gray area if I recall. I'm sure someone can give you the scoop.

Edited by bkelm18

In all of the backpacking I've done, I've never seen a bear in the back country. That's not to say that they are not there or not something to worry about, but I just think they hear me and move on. I have seen a pack of wild hogs, which probably scare me more than a bear. They moved along with a bit of shouting.

I really think the bear spray, as mentioned above, is the best option for you. They make it with holsters, so it's easy to strap on to your waist or your pack, they spray quite a distance, and would definitely be a deterrent to all dangerous critters, two or four legged.

Hey Analog,

Have you been out a lot in the last few years? I've lived in East Tennessee nearly my entire life and I never saw bears in the wild until the last few years. My understanding is that the population is really increased. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the TWRA even extended the hunting season last year. My wife and I do a lot of hiking and in the last few years we've seen fresh scat and tracks several times, and have seen bears. We saw two bears about ten yards from us in a tree on July 4th 2010 and last summer we were doing a bike ride at Cades Cove and had a bear about 5 yards from us on the side of the road. Finally, we were hiking up to Gregory Bald from Parson's Branch last August when we ran into a Ranger politely mentioned a lot of bear activity in the area. I talk loudly so any bears probably moved off the trail if they heard us coming up the hill Of note, is that he is the only Ranger I've ever seen with a shotgun. I probably wouldn't have believed it if someone told me, but he had what I think was a Remington 870 with some kind of red dot on it. We bought some "Guard Alaska" bear spray from the Sportsman's Guide. It has great reviews online. The Gregory Bald hike was the first time my wife carried it and she was glad to have it. Incidentally, a friend of hers was recently riding a bike alone on Rich Mountain road (gravel park service road near Cades Cove) and was "chased" by a wild boar. Personally, I have never seen a wild boar and have no idea how aggressive they are, but I can tell you she was pretty freaked out. Personally, I can't believe that a female would be out in a remote area alone for other reasons, but that's her decision I guess.

Realizing how off-topic this post is, my suggestion to the OP is just to get a HCP. It's a one-day class. I'm not sure why anyone who owns a handgun wouldn't go ahead and get the permit. As a lawyer, I've had lots of people ask me about the legalities of transporting a weapon or having a handgun in their vehicle. My response is always that if you are concerned about it you'll have a far better relationship with your friendly neighborhood Police Officer if you just get the HCP.

Edited by JReedEsq

....and last summer we were doing a bike ride at Cades Cove and had a bear about 5 yards from us on the side of the road....

I think most of the bears in the Smokies visit Cades Cove at least once in a while. It has always been common to see bears there; back when I was a kid you could 'bout count on it. There's a reason of course.

Finally, we were hiking up to Gregory Bald from Parson's Branch last August when we ran into a Ranger politely mentioned a lot of bear activity in the area. ...

Also back when, Gregory was common scout hike and around the shelter area there, it was the rule rather than the exception to see bears, again for the same reason. Good spring nearby plus lots of camper food. Got a good story about that, but another time.

Also, boars were pretty common around toward the top of the bald area itself.

- OS

I must be unlucky. In my numerous outings to GSMNP since I was a wee lad, I've yet to see a bear.

Admittedly, I've spent little time there since I was 30 or so, so don't know what the animal stats are now (although Counselor Reed suggests they may be on the upswing).

I tapered off going when I'd see more people on average day hike there than on the bike trail in Knoxville! My ex did whole Appy trail GA to ME about 5 years ago, and though she met some nifty folks, that was her main lament too.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

In my earlier post, I was responding to the OP comment about state parks. I have never seen any bears, or evidence of any, in in state parks I've been backpacking in.

I did a 3 day / 2 night trip last fall in the GSMNP, and while I personally did not see any bears, we met folks on the trail who had just crossed paths with a few. They all said the bears saw them and ran away. I have seen bears from my car while driving through the park. So, it would appear from my limited experience that the park has a fairly good population of bears. It may be due to the fact of the greater contiguous land mass, they have a better chance of reproducing and staying out of peoples way.

I do carry a pistol when backpacking. I do also know that the GSMNP rangers take the bears very seriously, and don't like it when anyone else gets rid of them. I'd say if you actually used a gun to defend yourself from a bear, you would have a pretty good chance of spending some time in jail, or at the very least spending a lot of money on a lawyer. I still think the bear spray is the best option - for bears.

I agree that bear spray is the best option for bears. When we hike my wife carries the bear spray and I carry a Glock. The point of my post is that if you spend enough time in the woods your chances of crossing paths with a bear are probably higher than they have been in the last 100 years. We like to spend a lot of time outdoors so I thought the bear spray was a good idea. The first line of defense is always sealing up all food containers in airtight plastic, making lots of noise and common sense. The most nervous I've been around a bear was an incident on July 4th a few years ago... The trail to Abram's Falls was very crowded and there were two bears in a tree very close to us. I had my son in a backpack and I told my wife something to the effect of "keep moving as quickly as possible before somebody does something stupid."

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Matt Pavo

Went to Virgin Falls this past summer. Very nice place and guns are allowed for those with HCP (though a paper sign in the glass case about 100 feet in says otherwise). Really I didn't see any wildlife of note except one deer which didn't seem a threat ;). My biggest worry would be human, but you never know.