Arisaka Rifle Restoration HELP!

This is kinda going to be a before and after place for me to post pics of the rifle. (Here ya go Caster)

I bought a cheap, bubba'd arisaka type 99 and I have a few areas I am unsure of. The rifle itself is the 25.5" model. Any ideas what length cleaning rod I will need?

0312122339.jpg

The rifle is a Nagoya Arsenal rifle, with a serial ending in 950. I think it's a 5th gen. The mum is in tact and looks great. I would appreciate if anyone knows whether or not my rifle would have had the anti aircraft sights and monopod, pure novelties.

The bolt smelled horrible ha, and I found that the firing pin is broke. I placed a bid for one on ebay. 0313121000.jpg

The rear sight is what stumps me. There is no ladder for the adjustable sliding peep sight, all that is there is a peep and then the v-notch....I suspect someone removed the ladder but I could be wrong.

0313120959a.jpg

I also placed a bid on a stock on ebay, as the previous bubba'd stock is not to my liking.

0313122210.jpg

0314120910.jpg

0314120911.jpg

I want to add that the front sight is supposed to be pinned onto the barrel, and I think I can faintly see the circular shading of something on both sides, but it's perfectly smooth when you rub your hand across it.

0314120912.jpg

Edited by Ramjo
  • Like 1

the rear sight on this one is funky. It should be on a ladder, yes --- a hollow one, that looks like a square U .... here is a picture

http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8371553

but sometimes when you see them, they have a long, long (maybe 3 inches across?!) bar from side to side, but the base sight part looks the same. I dunno what the story on that bar is.

Several sights give a cleaning rod as 24 inches long for this rifle.

I am not an expert, just an interested googler.

the rear sight on this one is funky. It should be on a ladder, yes --- a hollow one, that looks like a square U .... here is a picture

http://www.gunauctio...itemnum=8371553

but sometimes when you see them, they have a long, long (maybe 3 inches across?!) bar from side to side, but the base sight part looks the same. I dunno what the story on that bar is.

That is the folded down anti-aircraft sights I believe you are referring to.

The cleaning rod size will depend on the stock and hardware on the stock. there is a long rod 24 in. and short rod 5 in. Mine uses the short rod. How much of the original hardware do you have? Do you have the front nose piece/bayonett lug?

This site has many parts for the Arisaka 99. If you need some pictures for ref. I can send some close ups of mine. Let me know.

http://www.sarcoinc.com/japarisaka.html

The cleaning rod size will depend on the stock and hardware on the stock. there is a long rod 24 in. and short rod 5 in. Mine uses the short rod. How much of the original hardware do you have? Do you have the front nose piece/bayonett lug?

This site has many parts for the Arisaka 99. If you need some pictures for ref. I can send some close ups of mine. Let me know.

http://www.sarcoinc....japarisaka.html

The guy that had it before sporterized it. I have no barrel bands of any kind. All the parts I have are in the pics above where the gun is being held.

Edited by Ramjo

I have one of those rifles my grandfather gave me after he passed , I can kinda wiggle the bolt but cannot for the life of me get it to open. Is there some secret button to push ?

The safety might be engaged! Push in and twist the knob on the back of the bolt to the left and see if that helps you out!

sigh, 100000000 of them with no mum to butcher if one must butcher a gun, why do it to the much less common intact piece? If you know the guy, slap him in the back of the head for that.

Speaking of which, the "easy way out" would be to just buy a cheap rifle with no mum but in otherwise great condition, for less than $200 I think is the rough value, and just put your parts into the other gun. It may be a lot more hassle and possibly even more expense (over time) to buy a part here & there?? Might look into it.

I figured I would just give this a whirl. All I need is a stock and barrel bands and a complete sight. I already found a stock and I'm trying to decide whether to make it anti-aircraft or to leave off that stuff on the sight.

http://www.brownells...OXPHO-BLUE-reg-

Here is what I plan on using to cold blue the gun. The Oxpho-Blue has great reviews.

Use the Creme, not the liquid. The creme stays put and works longer and lasts longer. I have been using the creme for at least 8 years now and it is wonderful. Every liquid cold blue, including the Oxpho, I have tried has been junk compared to the creme.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1108/Product/OXPHO-BLUE-reg-CREME

Dolomite

Use the Creme, not the liquid. The creme stays put and works longer and lasts longer. I have been using the creme for at least 8 years now and it is wonderful. Every liquid cold blue, including the Oxpho, I have tried has been junk compared to the creme.

http://www.brownells...-BLUE-reg-CREME

Dolomite

Well how do you go about applying it evenly? Does it kinda glob up if you put too much in one spot or anything like that?

The safety might be engaged! Push in and twist the knob on the back of the bolt to the left and see if that helps you out!

I can lift the bolt from closed just enough to clear to be pulled back , the button on the back will push in but the button can not turn any further left because it has a metal tang that stops it's travel and the bolt will not come back. It seems to be locked in by the side lever on the left side ( what ever it is ).

I can lift the bolt from closed just enough to clear to be pulled back , the button on the back will push in but the button can not turn any further left because it has a metal tang that stops it's travel and the bolt will not come back. It seems to be locked in by the side lever on the left side ( what ever it is ).

That lever has to be pulled out to take the bolt out of the action. It should still slide back without that giving it any trouble. Rusted?

Thought I would show some progress I have made with the finish on the gun. I did all this with 220 grit sandpaper and oil.

0315122009.jpg

Here is the trigger guard attached for comparison.

0315122141.jpg

The barrel is done too. I need a good way to get into the front sight post and in a few crevices on the bolt head and rear part of the receiver.

Edited by Ramjo

That lever has to be pulled out to take the bolt out of the action. It should still slide back without that giving it any trouble. Rusted?

No rust , the bolt will not pull back from the closed position , you could not even load or unload it. You can rotate the bolt just enough to clear the metal stop to pull it back but it won't go any further.

Edited by Threeeighty
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I am almost done. The cold blue is a rather thin finish but it will do for my purposes.

0326121209.jpg

0328121206.jpg

Here is the stock I found for the rifle. Someone or several someones have held this rifle alot. Everywhere you would put your hands, the finish is rubbed off the stock. Idk whether to sand it and put a clear coat on, or just leave it.

0326122051.jpg

• Like 1

How much are you going to do what of with it? If you plan to use it a fair amount, unfinished wood may soak up dirt and oil and yuck from your hands and get an unattractive stain to it. If you just shoot it a few times, not so much, takes a while to happen.