Carbine review needed...

Guest USMC 2013

Guest USMC 2013

Who owns a Keltec, Hi-Point, Taurus, etc... pistol caliber (9mm, .40, .45, etc...) and what do you like and dislike about it? If you've read a good review of any of these post a link to it. Been thinking about getting one and not sure which to start looking at first.

Also, if anyone would let me shoot theirs I would gladly pay for both of our ammo for the shoot. Meet at Montgomery County Shooting Complex maybe? Thanks,

Semper Fi,

Joe

The Hi Point 995TS i own and a Keltec i have shot are both good rifles

Nothing really bad to say about either. Both are good to at least a hundred yards.

The Keltec folds up for added compactness and uses magazines that fit Glock, Berreta and Sig handguns IIRC. So if you have one of these that are compatible you have the added value of mag sharing.

For me i get a better cheek weld with the Hi Point and the stock is more comfortable.

Edited by Mike.357

My Marlin Camp 9 rifle is a joy to shoot but messy to clean because of its blowback design. For the most part, it strips like a Ruger 10/22, but there are a couple of things that you have to get just right. If you get one, make sure the buffer and recoil springs have been upgraded, as that massive breech bolt throws a lot of weight backward.

I own a Hi Point 995TS carbine and it's been both fun and reliable. I briefly owned a Kel Tec Sub2000. It worked fine, but I could never get then hang of firing it accurately. I have no idea if it was something with the Sub2K or if it was me, but the person I sold it too didn't seem to have any problems for what that's worth. I really wish it had been the other way around - I like the idea of the Kel Tec more than the Hi Point, but you can't argue with results.

Edited by BryanP

I have both, like both Hi-Point 995 and Kel-Tec Sub2000, like both very much. Picked up the HP good long while ago 'cause I didn't expect to own any pistols that interchanged with the KT. Then later decided that I just must have a Beretta 92 in the stable so found KT in Beretta config too.

Mag capacity of course is what the HP995 is most dissed for. But what the hell. Also, those mags get bent easily; most all feeding probs with the HP is mag related. Easy to tweak feed lips back more narrow though, generally all that's necessary.

Both are just fine for torso shoots out to 125 yards with just the iron sights.

The KT subbie has the possibly very big benefit to one of folding up into backpack/briefcase size. And 33 round Glock mags or 30 round Beretta mags (the Beretta mags are really nice, have built in spacer that just extends the grip frame neatly.) Dunno what SIg makes long mag wise.

Anyway, I find them both nifty and effective carbines; I have the older 995 with the Planet of Apes stock, I love it like an ole ugly dog. I like the KT cause it's kinda the opposite, sort of slightly futuristic and the fold up always gets a wow from first time folks see it.

The KT is much lighter than the HP, btw.

Oh, but the world class pistol caliber carbine I own is the Marlin 1894c in .357 mag.

marlin1894.jpg

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I have a Hi point in a ATI stock. It has a 40mm red dot from True Glo and is a blast to shoot. It is fairly accurate for what it is. I had another before this one. I think the ATI stock makes it better. Both of mine were/are great rifles for the money.

k9wh91984,

I'll also take that $100.00 Hi Point off your hands. I drive by Hermitage every day.

I talked with the stepdad and he wants me to change all the springs. I don't wanna keep it but he does, but thank you for the offer.

Bend the feed lips together on the mags, so close it takes some force to load the rounds. Make sure rounds are titled upward, smack back of mag on back of hand until they are. That's probably all it needs.

Edited by OhShoot
Guest ochretoe

I have the sub2k in glock .40. It is my new favorite. It goes everywhere with me in my laptop bag or jump bag. Clean it every 200 rounds or so and you will never have a problem.

Guest Papabear

I have the Beretta Storm carbine in 9mm. Set up to take 92 magazines. I enjoy the gun had it many years and have never had a bit of trouble out of it. But the price on them has gone up considerably since i bought mine. You may be able to find a used one pretty resonable though.

Who owns a Keltec, Hi-Point, Taurus, etc... pistol caliber (9mm, .40, .45, etc...) and what do you like and dislike about it? If you've read a good review of any of these post a link to it. Been thinking about getting one and not sure which to start looking at first.

Also, if anyone would let me shoot theirs I would gladly pay for both of our ammo for the shoot. Meet at Montgomery County Shooting Complex maybe? Thanks,

Semper Fi,

Joe

In Nashville and I have a Keltec in 9mm. As a few others have said, it's recoil is rather more than I expected but I have since installed a recoil buffer pad - haven't shot it since to test. Worst thing about it is that its really much more suited to a person who is small in stature. I'm 6' - 1" with long arms so its a bit of a chore but its damn accurite! PM me so we can setup a shoot some time.

Guest ochretoe

Loaded?

- OS

Loaded?

- OS

Sorta, It has a clip in it but the bolt is back and it's folded. It cannot be fired in the folded position.

Sorta, It has a clip in it but the bolt is back and it's folded. It cannot be fired in the folded position.

Yeah, I know, I have one.

You say you carry that around "everywhere" in puter bag, so presumably around in public on your person?

If so, my not so subtle point is that it just ain't at all legal in TN to do that.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest ochretoe

You say you carry that around "everywhere" in puter bag, so presumably around in public on your person?

If so, my not so subtle point is that it just ain't at all legal in TN to do that.

- OS

- OS

I see your point. Guess I should have made it clear, my jump bag and laptop bag are only with me when I'm in uniform and my patrol vehicle.

Guest ochretoe

- OS

- OS

I see your point. I should have made it clear, by jump bag and puter bag are only with me if I'm in uniform and in my patrol vehicle.

not to get into "legal" issues, you can carry a gun like that as long as there is not one in the chamber. Plus, having one in a chamber with the barrel folded would be a dumb idea anyways (not sure if its even possible). On other notes, if you want to shoot something nicer, I have a sig 220 you can shoot or glock 22. I just sold the glock 27 to make way for something else...

• Like 1