? about open carry while travelling Tenn?

Guest Marine6212

Guest Marine6212

I am a new member to your web forum. :pleased: I will be driving through Memphis Tenn. Via hwy 78 to I-40. If I stop at a gas station open carring my gun wil some one call the cops on me and will I be detained? I have only been caring for about 6 months in the state of Georgia that is where I have my permit from. I know Tenn. is a recipotory state with us. I just don't want to hassle with the cops if I don't have too. I want to keep my clean record and I don't want to be a guinea pig :stir: and :taser:, :taser: !!

Thanks for any information,

Semperfi.

Marine6212

Welcome.

There is nothing illegal about Open Carry in Tennessee with a permit. But when you choose to carry openly, being harassed is the risk you take.

Assuming you are stopped by a decent LEO, you shouldn't be "detained" for any longer than it will take to check you carry permit.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
Guest chrisdridley

I have open carried for years and have never had a hassle. I have been asked if I had a permit to carry.

Just don't sweat it.

Guest Marine6212

So If I am in Tenn I have to show my permit if asked by LEO? What if the gas station I stop at has a no guns allowed sign, How do I pay for the gas if I have to go inside?

Semperfi,

Marine6212

Edited by Marine6212

So If I am in Tenn I have to show my permit if asked by LEO? What if the gas station I stop at has a no guns allowed sign, How do I pay for the gas if I have to go inside?

Semperfi,

Marine6212

Yes, if asked by a LEO for your permit, you are required to show it.

You can pay at the pump, have someone else pay for you, leave your firearm in your vehicle, or conceal and go in to pay.

I pay at the pump, so I can't tell you what percentage, if any, gas stations are posted.

Gas station & minit marts that post have pretty much gone the way of the buffalo nickel. Just noticed the other

day, the minit mart in Lebanon (No. Cumberland ), still has an old sign on a side window. I ignore it & buy my

paper & continue on.

Leo may ask you for your HP, and may hold your weapon for security purposes if he sees fit. Since you are

out of state, it might make him/her a bit apprehensive, maybe not. Shouldn't be a big thing regardless.

I'm not a big fan of OC either, just makes folks nervous. To each his own.

Enjoy your stay in the Volunteer State.

Guest Marine6212

You can pay at the pump, have someone else pay for you, leave your firearm in your vehicle, or conceal and go in to pay.

I pay at the pump, so I can't tell you what percentage, if any, gas stations are posted.

Thanks for the info. the wife wants me to LOCK it in the GLOVE BOX!! :shake: I ask her what good is it doing me locked in the glove box if some one is trying to cause us harm! Throw up my hands and tell them to wait so I can unlock the glove box and get my weapon!! :screwy:

Semperfi,

Marine6212

Just for clarification, option 3 is not a legal option, but is one that some people choose. Carrying past a proper sign in TN is a no-no.

Proper signs are signs that are plainly visible and have (a ) a "gunbuster" circle-slash logo and/or (b ) wording that has 3 elements:

1) Must say that the property is posted under the authority of Tennessee law

2) Weapons/firearms are prohbited on the property or portion of the property

3) Must state that possessing a weapon in the off-limits area is a criminal offense

Mostly, proper postings use the language right out of the TN law books which is:

AS AUTHORIZED BY T.C.A. § 39-17-1359, POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON POSTED PROPERTY OR IN A POSTED BUILDING IS PROHIBITED AND IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE.

Remember that a gunbuster is good enough to make it off-limits. No words are actually needed, but if they are used, they have to conform to the above. If they get either one right (verbage or gunbuster), it's properly posted.

As for police, it is a crime in TN to carry in public. The permit is just a defense to that crime. That basically means that the police have every right to detain you long enough to verify that you have a valid permit and, as stated above, may disarm you at their discretion during their investigation. If you really don't want to risk the hassle, conceal.

Edited by monkeylizard

It's been awhile since I've seen a posted gas station. Be aware of your surroundings when stopping at gas stations. Several people I know have had problems, as they weren't alert to the threats. Have a safe trip and thanks for your service.

The one thing I will add to this, MOST Circle K's gas stations I have seen in the memphis area ARE properly posted for no guns. Circle and slash, AND legal verbage. You can get gas there, but you cannot carry inside of the building. Either get someone else to pay, or leave it in the car for the few minutes you will be in there. I would just reccomend avoiding them all together.

Edited by LayNLow
Guest 270win

You will be going up Lamar in Memphis if you stay on Highway 78 after crossing into Tennessee. Keep your gun close on Lamar and avoid driving in that area at night. It is close to the Memphis Airport. Get gas in Southaven/Olive Branch, MS before crossing into Memphis. You will probably want to stay in your car in the area of Memphis you'll be driving through on Lamar/Highway 78 to 240 then to 40 in Midtown or staying on 240 to 55 then get on 40 in West Memphis.

If you want to get gas before you even get to the Memphis area look at Byhalia, MS. It is before you even get to Olive Branch, MS. It is really easy to get on and off Hwy 78 at Byhalia to get gas.

Fixed it for ya! :hat:

:rofl:

Good one! Its really not THAT bad... for the most part. Dont forget, we have a bunch of idiot drivers here too.

Youll be alright, just stay aware of your surroundings.

Edited by LayNLow

Or better yet, check before pumping, and go spend your money somewhere else if it's posted ;)

Guest Matt Pavo

I have yet to see a gas station that is posted. You will find that most places in Tennessee choose not to exercise the option to post unless they have a monopoly in the industry (such as our malls). Just look carefully and if it is posted hop back into the car and go somewhere else. I worked at a gas station once (before my gun-toting days) and whenever I saw an openly carried gun I usually assumed they were some sort of plain clothed law enforcement officer. Be advised that Arkansas is not an open carry state.