Mcminn county sheriffs gun auction April 7 10am

Yes sir it is. In fact there are so many that it has drawn the attention of a buddy of mine whos been looking for a home defense firearm. He's been looking and has never been to a gun auction so this will be a first for him.

If anyone else is going I wish you luck.

10 or so real gems in that pile. And the rest a "pile" indeed.

Guy looking for a defense weapon might score that beretta 92, one of the ruger 9mms or something but I did not see many compact carry guns, big stuff and mouseguns for the most part, lotta rifles too. And an amazing number of antiques and blackpowder and so on, desperate crooks indeed?

Hmm... Might have to make a trip to that. They have an item or two on there that I would like for projects. I'm a tad surprised actually with some of the items on there, like the bp pistols. Guess the criminals decided to use whatever they had. Lot of .22's. I'm assuming the "Russian 7.62" is a Mosin Nagant? Anyone know?

Edited by gjohnsoniv

Hmm... Might have to make a trip to that. They have an item or two on there that I would like for projects. I'm a tad surprised actually with some of the items on there, like the bp pistols. Guess the criminals decided to use whatever they had. Lot of .22's. I'm assuming the "Russian 7.62" is a Mosin Nagant? Anyone know?

Don't know, but the Russian SKS is the cream of the SKS crop. If it is a real russian, I would really be interested.

I will be there, whats up with the gouge: 10% buyers premium. All FFL Laws Apply. 4473 Transfer Fee $15.00. (Background Check). $5.00 for each additional Gun. I thought by law maximum $10 background check. By law is there an allowance of $5 extra for each addtional gun?

Edited by Runco

What's a 10% buyers premium? They charge you an extra 10%?

its added to your final bid, and probably goes to the auction company's pockets or the sherrif's department (???).

I would get there early and ASK before the bidding starts how the bottom line is computed exactly.

I suspect its $15 for a transfer PLUS the $10 background check.

Worst case, if you bid 500.... you pay 25 in fees and 100 more in tax and premium... your $500 bid, at the worst case, could be 625 out the door....

Or call ahead and get it clarified. Some auctions are very heavy handed for both buyers and sellers.

You know with 400+ guns, either they are going to group in lots, or its going to take hours and hours to sell that many. Bidders and buyers better have a keen ear, or they will pay $200 for a Lorcin 25 auto + $50 in extra fees. I bet the auctioneers will be cattle auctioneers, very fast, and quick. They can sell 300 head of cattle and goat in little over an hour. Real estate auctioneers will take all day to move 5 acres. Dib, dib, dib.......sold. Seriously, without lots, if they take 60 seconds per gun, its going to take 400 min or 6.7 hours without breaks to sell. I also bet they will sell 1 or 2 of the gems up front, and the remaining gems at the end. The pile or dogs in the middle. Just to tease and keep the money people there all day. The folks with disposible income (money lying around) will buy more cokes, more hot dogs, and maybe a $200 NEF 410 + fees. I will be there, likely all day, and I hope maybe towards 7pm Saturday night, no one will be around when that Sig sells. They will be too bloated on hot dogs and buyers remorse for the $300 Hi Point 9mm purchase that they want to Cerekote mint desert brown.

Edited by Runco

I went to the auction in Lenoir City last month. They had a 12% buyer's premium but reduced it to 10% if you paid cash. I was the final bidder on a Ruger New Model Blackhawk which had only about 65% of the blueing left but looked to be in sound condition. I still had to pay 9% sales tax, a $10 background check and a $10 transfer fee, but still got a good deal--about $200 less than normal used value. After I got it home and cleaned up, I was happy with the deal.

Then I noticed something peculiar. Even though it was a New Model Blackhawk, there was no lawyer talk on the barrel--you know, the warning to read the manual before you do what the gun's made for. I researched the serial number on the Ruger website and the revolver was off the chart. It had a number lower than the oldest New Model range. I soon learned that my revolver was a transitional piece that Ruger produced. They took an Old Model barrel and stuck it on a New Model cylinder frame. This would appeal to collectors, but whatever premium they would pay might be erased by its worn condition. Whatever...it was a nice find and a good shooter. So, it's buyer beware at those auctions--know before you go.

Glad I've got other plans for Sat, or I would probably end up going. The last one I went to several years ago had the same type of fee structure. What impressed me was that the bidders seemed to ignore the add-ons & ran the bids up to what I thought was full market value & maybe more. Like they got caught up into a crazy buying frenzy of sorts.

Those who go, post a report so I can see what I missed.

I don't know how to post an excel spreadsheet to TGO, but I was able to manipulate the McMinn Co. ad for the guns into a spreadsheet, then text to columns, then sort alphabetically. I just tried posting in a text, and that didn't work.

Edited by Runco

Glad I've got other plans for Sat, or I would probably end up going. The last one I went to several years ago had the same type of fee structure. What impressed me was that the bidders seemed to ignore the add-ons & ran the bids up to what I thought was full market value & maybe more. Like they got caught up into a crazy buying frenzy of sorts.

Thkose who go, post a report so I can see what I missed.

That seems pretty typical at most auctions, especially when men are bidding. They tend to allow emotion to take over and need to prove their man-junk is bigger than the other bidders. I've seen this at just about every type of auction.

• Like 1