Mcminn county sheriffs gun auction April 7 10am

I went to several auctions in the area and usually by time you pay all the fees you end up almost at retail, thats why I stopped going. The worst I ever saw was a hipoint 995 got these 2 rednecks in a bidding war and ended up going for $900. After it was over I went up to the loosing redneck and told him to follow me to the range and I would sell him mine for $700 and he did. After that trans was over, I went inside the range/LGS and got me an AR for 750otd that was the cheapest AR I have bought. I won the Hipoint at a shoot for closest to bull at 300yds with a 10/22. so I had a total of $50 in the AR.

Update. This forum advice and my better judgment did not prevail. Arrived around 9:30am, stood in line for 30 min. just to have A bidding card, did get a seat thanks to my 7 year old grabbing two seats. What a crowd. There were likely 500+ people there in a 1950s downtown dime store size space, and no a/c. Just like everyone predicted, the guns went for 100-150% retail and then some. This is without +10% auctioneer fee, +9.75% state sales tas, +$15 background check. Oh, if you paid by debit/credit, +4% more. The two guns that I was most interested in did not sell until after 2:30pm. These two guns I wanted for myself, not re-sell. Lost both to people who wanted them more than me in tune of +$100 or more. I quit bidding in the high reasonable area, and I think I keep informed on most used gun prices. Here are some laughs: Most Ruger 10-22s went for $250 w/o a scope, with a scope regardless of brand, kissed close to $400 without the extra fees added on, ~$500 OTD. Ravens, Lorcin, Jennings 25s all went +$80-$120, The colt 357 with the Leopold scope went for close $2,000 w/o fees (yes not a misprint), Marlin 60s 22 autos went for close to $200. Many guns that you still can buy at Wal-Mart went close to +$100 over Walmart price, unbelievable. There were so many more examples that I could keep typing, and typeing..... Now I did see some possible good buys, a Colt 1911 style in small comando size went for high $700s, several Smiths in 45 auto went reasonable, a couple of Springfields were in the low $600s. I believe around 2pm, I saw a Smith auto in 9mm sell for high $200s. All SKS rifles went for mid $300 to mid $400. I did see a Russian SKS go for $250. Many Chattanooga TV stations were there interviewing the McMinn Co. Sheriff, which by the way worked the auction like one of the hired hands, I thought that was cool. He actually opened the auction with a statement about what a great opportunity it was to sell these guns to law abiding citizens and the money raised would go back to his dept. for tactical goods. More county and city police dept. could learn from this event. If I wasn't obssessed with guns so much, I would have left within 30 minutes, but it was interesting, entertaining, and just down right hip slapping fun to see uneducated or uninformed general public just go zombie crazy over any gun from BB guns to 44 magnums. WHAT A DAY! WHAT A HEADACHE.

I do remember the 25-20, auctioneers were terrible at descriptions, and lack of model number, but they seemed to focus on the caliber, the 25-20 I remember sold ~11am, I believe it brought high in the upper $500s w/o fees.

Background checks are $10. They are taking another $5 for their own pocket.

Yeah, but FFL can put any number of guns on one 4473 for just the one charge of 10 clams. There are five spaces for guns, but instructions say to just attach additional piece of paper.

State only charges dealer for each 4473 not each gun. 'Course, only TN charges for the damn thing at all.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

The Winchester 92 went for $900 plus fees, I would dare to say it was about 60+ percent. It was the best deal there. Another good buy was a Marlin 45/70 guide gun, it went for $475. Most of the small pistols didn't have magazines with them. A S&W sigma in 40cal went for $390.

The Winchester 92 went for $900 plus fees, I would dare to say it was about 60+ percent. It was the best deal there. Another good buy was a Marlin 45/70 guide gun, it went for $475. Most of the small pistols didn't have magazines with them. A S&W sigma in 40cal went for $390.

It wouldn't have had I been there. Those things are priced out of sight if in operable condition.