Army Basic Trng

I went to dinner with my parents and nephew tonight. He is 15yrs old and we started talking about what he planned to do after high school. Me and my father mentioned the military and that it would be good for him. Needless to say, we got on the subject of basic training and it tripped memories for my father as well as myself.

I really thought about how much the military molded me to be the person I am today. I retired in Aug 2009 with 20 yrs 9 months 3 weeks of service. To this day, I still have the mind that everything has a place, everything has a purpose.

Looking back on basic training and my military career, it was a living hell as most will know, but at the same time, it is something that I cherish and am damn glad that I went through it. I now sleep late when I can. Exercise very little, eat bad foods, pretty much I just work and do what I have to.

I would love the opportunity to go back to basic and have a boot up my backside to make me do the things that I should be doing. Running alone isn't fun, but get 40 plus guys together and no one wants to be the one to drop out.

Who else here would do it all over again?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm too independent & outspoken to be a good soldier. If it hadn't been for ignorant non-coms & officers, I might have enjoyed the experience. No offense intended, but the smart ones were few and far between. For every Petraeus there's 1000 Custers.

Sent from my MZ604 using Tapatalk

I love the memories and cherish the experience, but there is no way that I would ever consider doing it again. Wait until you get a few more years of junk food in your gut and gain a few more pounds. It won't seem like such a good idea.

Guest cardcutter

I am very proud of my time at Paris Island but I would not want to do it again. I loved my time in the Corps but it is a job for young men.

Yep, boot camp is for young men needing to learn life's lessons. Memories are for us old farts who've proved, through surviving, that we learned them.

Pretty much enjoyed Basic training at Fort Sill, Ok. (only place in the world where you can stand butt deep in mud and still get dust blown in your face), but there's a reason that it only lasted 8 weeks. The fact that,32 years later, I can still recall those 8 weeks like they were last week is just proof that the learning process was at least as important to me as the lessons.

:up:

Edited by Timestepper
  • Moderators

I've actually been considering doing it again, but this time National Guard. I went into the AF right out of HS. I just wonder if my body can handle it again 16 years after the first go around, and a more difficult one at that.

I'm not sure how much Basic Training has changed over the years, but I'd guess this summer at Ft Polk, LA won't be any different than it was in 1969. We didn't global warming then but those 100+ days were brutal!

Guest Gwith40

Ft Knox 1986....Not only no to doing it again, but hell no! I even swore I would never set foot in Kentucky, ever again. lol. I learned a lot about myself, though...and I still laugh about some of it. Wasn't funny at the time, though.

Enfield, hope I wasn't a "Custer"! Trained basic trainees and then Drill Sargeants at Ft Bliss in 66-67. It was no piece of cake for us either. Wouldn't want to do it again--it's one reason I got out of the Army.

I'd bet that you weren't. :-)

Sent from my MZ604 using Tapatalk